Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Got a bartop cabinet fixer-upper  (Read 12326 times)

slybunda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 04:16:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Got a bartop cabinet fixer-upper
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2021, 01:40:13 am »
For free i cant complain. Iv always wanted an arcade but necer had the need for one so didnt bother getting/building one. This one landing in my laps has scratched that arcade itch iv had. I get the feeling once im done getting it all setup and usable i probably wont even use it much, just like setting stuff up. Kids can get to use it which can help keep them busy in holidays and such.
Will be good for me to learn more about switches and get to play with an Arduino too.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2021, 09:04:47 am »
For free i cant complain. Iv always wanted an arcade but necer had the need for one so didnt bother getting/building one. This one landing in my laps has scratched that arcade itch iv had. I get the feeling once im done getting it all setup and usable i probably wont even use it much, just like setting stuff up. Kids can get to use it which can help keep them busy in holidays and such.
Will be good for me to learn more about switches and get to play with an Arduino too.

If that is all you are after then this is a good project.  Building from scratch is expensive even for bartops.  When I suggested above to recut the control panel I really meant to fix the button layout - it is bad.  If you go to slagcoin you can print off templates that are much more comfortable (buttons closer together and curved to match your resting fingers).  This might actually make a difference for you since I really think you are cramped on space for 2 players.   :cheers:

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2021, 10:20:06 am »
Yes it does seem cramped for 2 players and when playing marvel vs capcom i did feel the buttons are a bit far apart since it is tricky to press 3 at once.
Going by the pic of the joystick panel i posted above which would you say is the ideal layout i should be using from slagcoin?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2021, 12:02:29 pm »
Going by the pic of the joystick panel i posted above which would you say is the ideal layout i should be using from slagcoin?
This is like asking us, "What kind of ice cream is my favorite?"
- Best answer: "I don't know.  What kind of ice cream is your favorite?"
- Also good but (hopefully) obvious: "If you're making old-fashioned homemade ice cream, follow Frank Zappa's advice regarding ingredient selection."

We can tell you some things to definitely avoid and we can tell you our favorite, but it might not be your favorite.

Try test panels with different layouts FTW.
- As long as the button layout feels good, you can adjust the spacing between the stick and buttons for a better fit on your panel.
A cardboard or hardboard test panel with real buttons will let you feel which template works best for you.

Our opinions about whether "straight six" or curved or staggered layouts are our favorites aren't nearly as important as you finding your favorite.   :cheers:

Scott

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2021, 12:26:50 pm »
A cardboard or hardboard test panel with real buttons will let you feel which template works best for you.

Our opinions about whether "straight six" or curved or staggered layouts are our favorites aren't nearly as important as you finding your favorite.   :cheers:

Agreed. 

If you want a good place to start... my preferred layout is this one without the two buttons on the right end:

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2021, 02:11:19 pm »
Is there supposed to be a set distance between stick and buttons or is custom preference?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2021, 03:23:04 pm »
Is there supposed to be a set distance between stick and buttons or is custom preference?

Everything in this hobby is personal preference.  Except for angling joysticks.   ;D

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2021, 04:27:16 pm »
The personal difference stems from the amount of time you are going to play and if the unit will reside in a closet until needed.

The other importance is the quality of joysticks and buttons you use.

You are going the buy top of the line Italian ice, or cold mash potatoes on a cone.

The differences can be that stark.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 12:53:22 am by Vocalitus »

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2021, 04:59:18 am »
Whoa i didnt think that buttons would make such a big difference. I thought its like a 10% difference either way in regards to pressure and rebound rate which would hardly be felt by end user.
This is mainly for kids to use from ago of 5-14ish.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2021, 11:26:17 am »
Everything in this hobby is personal preference.  Except for angling joysticks.   ;D

Good to see that some things never change.

8)

As far as fix vs fresh, I like this project as a quick, inexpensive gateway before the OP comes to the inescapable conclusion that one is simply not enough. :cheers:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2021, 06:25:47 pm »
my arduinos arrived and iv set one up so far today as a gamepad with D pad and 8 buttons. i can probably add 6 more buttons by using the analog input pins as digital inputs too so will have a look into that if need be. time to rip out the crappy wiring and get these boards in place.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:29:39 pm by slybunda »

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2021, 08:48:56 am »
well turns out this has worked out better than i thought. i was going to use the arduino leonardos but managed to get a good deal on 3 pro micos for under £9 inc delivery. iv got them coded and setup now each with a D pad + 12 buttons so plenty of inputs available. iv also changed the board vendor and product ID's to custom ones so windows should not get mixed up with which one is which. pics attached.
next step is to rewire the joystick and buttons on the cab.

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2021, 05:51:45 pm »
thanks to this video here:

it shows microswitch bounce time which will help me fine tune the arduino code some more.

so far today iv got rid of the old wiring and rotated the switches ready for new wiring to go in. still waiting for my crimp connectors to arrive.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2021, 06:15:35 pm »
Wow those boards are tiny.  Seems like a really cheap solution for an encoder too.  This already looks 10x better without that rat's nest of wires...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2021, 07:29:27 pm »
Wow those boards are tiny.  Seems like a really cheap solution for an encoder too.
That's why I recommend them so often.   ;)

The (very minor) downsides to the Pro Micro are:
1. It can be a little more tricky to load a firmware and EEPROM than on some of the other AVR boards.
2. Several of the 32u4 processor pins aren't connected to pins on the board so those inputs aren't usable.
3. The boards don't have mounting holes, but it's easy to put one in a 1.5" x 0.85" x 0.55" 3d printed case like this one for insulation and/or use a loop clamp (a.k.a. an adel clamp) on the USB cable as a mount point.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:30:58 pm by PL1 »

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2021, 01:41:13 am »
I was shocked how tiny the micro pro was. I thought it may be half the size or a leonardo which is already fairly small but man cant believe it.
The micro pro has given me 4 inputs for the dpad and 12 inputs for the buttons so thats plenty for my needs. Hopefully my connectors arrive then i can wire up today and get it all tested out.
I used a thick double sided sticky pad called VHB tape usually used for mounting rear view mirrors to windscreen in cars. May hot glue it too if i find the glue gun.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2021, 10:05:27 am »

Good to see that some things never change.

8)

As far as fix vs fresh, I like this project as a quick, inexpensive gateway before the OP comes to the inescapable conclusion that one is simply not enough. :cheers:

Blast from the past!  Nice to see you are still around Cheffo. 

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2021, 05:10:26 am »
wiring is all done now. pic attached.
not as tidy as intended but works well and tested on my pc all buttons operate fine. will now stick it in the cab.
quick test on https://www.shmupspeed.com/ and highest i get is 98 presses in the 10 second window. i understand this is gonna vary person to person but im not seeing any delay when pressing a button to an action on the screen tested on this site: https://gamepad-tester.com/
wondering how much difference higher quality switches make over cheapo ones...

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2021, 01:34:24 pm »
quick before and after pics attached.
happy how this worked out. iv got table space left over so im wondering if i could build a 4 play cab to sit there. dunno if its gonna be a cramped 4 player and better off resorting to a 3 player one?

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2021, 03:15:06 pm »
just to give back to this community. i have attached the arduino sketch files, library and hardware board files (used to make unique board ID) for the joysticks iv got working.
these will work on both a Leonardo and Micro pro boards. If used with the leonardo you will get 2 extra inputs totaling D pad + 14 buttons but will need to change pin order in the array and add the 2 extra buttons in the loop. if there is demand for it i can do the sketches for them too. Pro micro will give you D pad + 12 button inputs.
in the zip file is 2 sketch folders you can load them in arduino ide. the hardware folder you copy to your mydocuments arduino folder this will allow you to choose the board in the arduino software. use player2 sketch with player2 board id and player1 sketch with player1 board id. and install the library.
i will be still around here since im getting more interested in home arcade cabs (kids broken the psp so need something not moveable lol) so i can assist others if they want to use arduinos in cabs.

edit: added schematic
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:53:45 am by slybunda »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2021, 03:42:35 pm »
Came out nice for your first project... I like that you are already thinking about another one!   :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2021, 04:55:36 pm »
Didn't notice any schematics or pinouts in your project files.

LMK if you want to make custom Pro Micro and Leonardo pinout images like these for your project so people don't have to guess or dig through the code to figure out which button goes to which pin.

Feel free to customize this slightly simplified PowerPoint-compatible OpenDocument Presentation (.ODP) Pro Micro template I originally made for JayBee's lightgun project.   :cheers:

Scott

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2021, 05:52:21 pm »
Ahh yes id like to mod that pic you posted.
Im sure the very start of the sketch has comments at the top showings pins 2-5 is the d-pad and ahhh wait yea i see had this same issue when i was putting the hardware together. I printed the sketch on paper and then on the back i have a table made showing which pin = which function.
I will get that info added to the above post too.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2021, 07:16:12 pm »
Here are custom templates for Leonardo and Pro Micro.
- LMK if you want templates for any of the other AVR boards from the miniArcade 2.0 thread.

After you use PowerPoint (or the Open Office/Office Libre equivalent program) to fill in the blanks and everything looks good:
- Ctrl-A to select all shapes, pictures, and text.
- Ctrl-C to copy.
- Open MS Paint.
- Ctrl-V to paste.
- Position, crop, and save the image.   :cheers:

Scott
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 07:27:19 pm by PL1 »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2021, 01:28:18 am »
Nicely done and thank you (and Scott too of course!) for the effort to share your arduino work.

I have two of those pro micros I really need to sort out using at some point!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2021, 04:54:31 am »
excellent helt there PL1 iv modded the post above and added the schematic diagram to it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2021, 05:25:29 am »
Looks pretty good.   ;D

Only two minor adjustmants I'd recommend are:
1. Name your encoder and make the image title more specific than just "Pro Micro".
2. Reposition/crop the image to remove the blue boxes.  They are in the template because without them, copy/pasting from PowerPoint to MSPaint kept trimming some pixels from the outer perimeter of the image.   :banghead:

Scott

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2021, 06:05:38 am »
yes it did seem like there was too much going on in the pic. it just really needs a pin number and a function. this should be easy enough for anyone to use and get the arduinos up and running on the mega cheapo.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2021, 08:16:57 am »
yes it did seem like there was too much going on in the pic. it just really needs a pin number and a function.
That's true as long as people are only using that specific board.

From what I've seen, there are three common ways of identifying AVR board connections:
- Arduino markings.
- Port names.
- 32u4 pin numbers from schematics.

I include the 32u4 pin numbers and port names in case someone wants to port the sketch/firmware to another 32u4 AVR board like the Teensy.
- Without that info in one image, translating to another board with different types of markings can be a real pain.

Scott

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2021, 06:23:44 pm »
How do your arduino projects compare to https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder ?  I've just used his out of the box before.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2021, 09:03:50 pm »
How do your arduino projects compare to https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder ?  I've just used his out of the box before.
Haven't tried any of them, but his projects on GitHub look good and appear to be well documented.   ;D

Most of them are for digital (microswitch) stick and button controllers/controls, but there are some shifter/pedal projects, so he does do at least a bit with potentiometer controls.

Didn't notice any encoders for optical (spinner/trackball), rotary joystick (LS-30/Happ mechanical rotary), or non-pedal potentiometer (analog joystick/positional gun) controls, but those are far less common than microswitch controls so no surprise there.

One interesting thing on that DaemonBite Encoder is that he lists some lag testing results.
- Not sure what testing methodology was used but the results look impressive.

Another fun observation is that Bootsector --designer/coder of the KADE miniArcade 2.0-- contributed a pull request to this project.

Scott

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2021, 11:46:37 am »

the one iv done is nearly half the lines of code of the Daemonbite one. also the daemonbite one seems to have specific profiles for ps3 and neogeo where as my one is just a generic gamepad in windows. i noticed the DB setup also uses debounce but its turned off as standard and turning it on it seems to have 10ms delay preset like i have. debouncing all depends on the type of switches you use and that their bounce times are.
using https://www.shmupspeed.com/ for button lag test is good way to compare different encoders to each other but i doubt there will be any difference unless your bounce delay is over 60ms (world record button presser presses at 16 presses per second which is around 62ms between presses).

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2021, 01:24:43 pm »
I have just compiled and dropped the daemonbite onto a pro micro and had it work fine*.  Haven't even looked yet at Kade (which sounds like a similar project) and slybunda I take it yours is a variant of kade or did you code from scratch?

*Edit to add: Sorry by worked fine I mean it played with no discernable delay to my eyes, I have not done any testing at all on my own (unchanged) compile of his code.

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2021, 05:53:52 pm »
Also noticed the daemonbrite is using pins 0 and 1 which are normally reserved for serial transfer. Iv read they can be used as regular inputs as long as you dont have a serial monitor running on it at the same time.
more info here; https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder/issues/11
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:38:53 pm by slybunda »

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2021, 04:04:12 am »
Iv noticed that im having to reach for the keyboard for 2 specific keys, tab and f2 so i can get into game config menu or dipswitches and make changes. Im going to need 2 extra buttons for these but out of reach for the kids. Should i put them on the backside or behind the top panel? I'm guessing cheapo buttons will suffice?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2021, 05:44:31 am »
out of reach for the kids.
That is the important part.   :lol

You probably won't need dedicated buttons for TAB and F2 after you finish setting things up.

You should be fine with the keyboard unless you're the type to fiddle with configuration all the time.

Scott

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2021, 10:16:32 am »
so i decided to give the daemonbite adruino code a try. flashed fine on both controllers and im using the board ID's from before so it shows in device manager as arduino-player1 and arduino-player2.
but here is the issue. in mameui64 game selection from the list works with the up and down on player2 joystick and starting the game works on player 1 pressing button1.
iv unplugged player 2 arduino so only player 1 joystick is plugged in and same issue, cant select game in list with player1 joystick but button1 will start the game which is already highlighted????

is this going to be a controller board issue or something in mameui? in device manager both joysticks show as individual ones and all buttons and directions work fine. very odd.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2021, 10:51:31 am »
out of reach for the kids.
That is the important part.   :lol

You probably won't need dedicated buttons for TAB and F2 after you finish setting things up.

You should be fine with the keyboard unless you're the type to fiddle with configuration all the time.

Scott

yeah - I have a USB keyboard that I plug into my machines on the off chance I want to change something.  I keep it inside of my DK and can easily reach through the open coin door to get it when I need to. 

I wouldn't put extra buttons on the cab for this - the kids WILL eventually find them and press them and mess things up.  Once you get everything set up how you want (probably over the course of a month or so of constant messing around) you will rarely ever touch it.

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2021, 11:57:20 am »
Thats the other issue. Using daemonbite code on my Arduinos is causing issues with my wireless keyboard. I suspect its something to do with the usb poll rate or something. Daemonbite got more issues than it solves it seems.
Will have to go back to my original code, cant tell the difference in lag either way, may be a case where lag is recognised by testing equipment but not by human use.

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2021, 12:41:18 pm »
Ok one issue is sorted. The mameui game selection by joystick was issue with the config file. I had to manually enter in the joystick mappings for the UI. When im back on my pc i will upload the mapping instructions incase anyone else has the issues.
My extra buttons arrived today so once i get those added there will be no need for the keyboard at all.