Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Amp keeps tripping out  (Read 4772 times)

Kenny59

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 02:26:33 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Amp keeps tripping out
« on: September 24, 2021, 08:28:13 pm »
Hi guy’s. I have an R82 with an R83 amplifier installed. Been working fine up until now. Was cleaning the inside of jukebox ( dust etc) then I turned it on. Loud humming noise came from the amp then had no sound. Pushed the reset button in, turned it on, hummed for a couple of seconds then reset button poppped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Kenny

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
Re: Amp keeps tripping out
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 01:21:20 pm »
How did you clean it?
Compressed air?
Duster?
Vacuum?
spray and cloth?

you must of disturbed something that is now causing a dead short somewhere.

Kenny59

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 02:26:33 am
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 06:10:49 pm »
Soft cloth and vacuum

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:23:49 pm »
blowing breaker on the amp means fried main filter caps (the great big ones)

or

fried bridge rectifier.

rectifier is easy to test with a volt meter... pull all the connectors off, set meter to diode check. place black probe on the (+) terminal (it's marked) and test the 2 adjacent corners. each should read about 0.5ish. next put your red probe on the (-) terminal (it's kitty corner diagonal across from the (+) terminal and repeat the 2 adjacent terminals again. each should read 0.5ish if you real one that is zero (or full scale depending on your meter) it's shorted if you have one that reads open (or infinity scale again depending on the meter) it' open. shorted or open, both are bad and will need to be replaced. if all 4 internal diodes read 0.5, you have dead main filter caps. good luck finding them. they are super expensive for a compatible value....unicorm poo for original.

EDIT - my bad, the 60107438 amp has individual diodes attached to the caps and not an all in one rectifier module... check them all. if you find one bad, it might be orth it to swap them out for a modern module like a KBP5010 which will do up to 50a with 1000v peak.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 03:00:49 pm by lilshawn »