Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PS5 & Xbox Series X Discussion  (Read 14042 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
PS5 & Xbox Series X Discussion
« on: September 24, 2021, 01:36:14 pm »
EDIT: Changing this thread for general PS5/Xbox Series X discussion for those of us not 100% stuck in the 80s  >:D

I have alerts on my phone set up and when they go off by the time I'm even able to open the page the consoles are gone.  I refuse to pay more than MSRP for one.  How can Sony and Microsoft claim that they are selling more consoles than any other systems in their history when there are no consoles available?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:11:27 am by javeryh »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: Did any of you guys get a PS5 or Xbox Series X? How???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 02:05:16 pm »
I got mine PS5 from Sony Direct. 

They randomize you in queue when they have them for sale, and when you get to the front if there are any left, you can buy. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 02:53:32 pm »
I got mine PS5 from Sony Direct. 

They randomize you in queue when they have them for sale, and when you get to the front if there are any left, you can buy.

I have tried this with no luck so far.  Every time I am in the queue for a while I end up getting a message that says they will only sell to people who got invites directly from Sony via email... I haven't received any of those yet.  I'll keep trying even though there's nothing I'm dying to play on it... I just want to buy my first 4K TV so that will be my excuse  :)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 04:52:00 pm »
I have never seen either console in person, although weirdly I have seen two used Xbox Series S consoles at my local second hand gaming store.

Recently, I finally talked to someone who has a PS5. He somehow got one on launch and has two games for the console.

There is no way that the hoarding of consoles by scalpers can be considered anything but a crisis inside these companies. However, they won't admit that publicly. They could easily share how many consoles owned by unique users are connecting to their networks, but they're sharing sales numbers to bots and lumping their network stats together with their older consoles so that we the public can only speculate.

I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to go into a store and buy a new Xbox by the holidays, but the recent long lines at Best Buy's restock have me slightly worried, as my son would like to get the new console as a gift. If things continue like this, we may buy an Oculus instead because I refuse to pay scalpers.

In the end, it's not that big of a deal. We have a world of games and not enough time. I do hope that these scalpers end up learning their lesson, though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 09:02:51 pm »
I have never seen either console in person, although weirdly I have seen two used Xbox Series S consoles at my local second hand gaming store.

Recently, I finally talked to someone who has a PS5. He somehow got one on launch and has two games for the console.

There is no way that the hoarding of consoles by scalpers can be considered anything but a crisis inside these companies. However, they won't admit that publicly. They could easily share how many consoles owned by unique users are connecting to their networks, but they're sharing sales numbers to bots and lumping their network stats together with their older consoles so that we the public can only speculate.

I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to go into a store and buy a new Xbox by the holidays, but the recent long lines at Best Buy's restock have me slightly worried, as my son would like to get the new console as a gift. If things continue like this, we may buy an Oculus instead because I refuse to pay scalpers.

In the end, it's not that big of a deal. We have a world of games and not enough time. I do hope that these scalpers end up learning their lesson, though.

yeah I totally agree.  The attachment rate for games must be abysmal if all of these consoles are sitting with scalpers.  I mean, you can get one easily for $900.  I'm not biting and it's definitely not a big deal.  I'll be a little bummed next year when I can't play God of War or the new Horizon but there's plenty to do in the meantime. 

I got an Oculus last Christmas and really like it.  It's not for "real" games (or at least I haven't found any) but the ones I have played are nice little diversions.  The ping pong game is really cool.  Beat Saber obviously.  I also like the Darth Vader game so far but only played a little.  I am not into shooters so the FPS stuff doesn't interest me.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 09:12:48 pm »
It’s probably a reflection of my rapidly diminishing mental capacity, but nothing about this generation has gotten any enthusiasm out of me.  This is the first time in 32 years I’ve been indifferent.  I’m actually regressing and go back to old consoles.  Gameboy, Saturn, Genesis, etc in the past couple of years.

:dunno

I’ve still got sealed Xbox One, PS4, and Switch games.

Inevitably, something will come out that gets me hot and I’ll buy them but until then I’m holding out for $150 with a game.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 06:11:22 am »
Considering these new consoles/platforms are x86 and have the graphical capability of a RX 480.

I still get play on the Xbox One, PC and my vast amount of consoles and game disks (that are still shrink wrapped).

Like Jim says nothing appeals to me to purchase one.  I don't have the drive to code for them either.

Getting old I guess.  :oldman

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 06:21:25 am »
Just get off the train.

Stop trying to buy stuff that is back ordered, out of stock, paying more than list, etc.

It is just another source of anxiety in a world that is stuffed full of sources of anxiety if you seek it out.

Oh. Add prepaying Kickstarter ---uvulas--- for stuff that doesn't exist yet to the list.

There are a bazillion games you can play that already exist and are readily available.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 10:03:58 pm »
I'll tell you guys when it's time to upgrade.   Pro tip:   It's not time to upgrade.   There simply aren't any games available nor will there be until late 2022.   Even then none of the exclusives look particularly good.   I might finally skip a generation. 

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 09:27:28 pm »
If you follow Wario 64 on Twitter, he will give you a heads up when PS5’s Or Xboxes are available.

kane916

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2023, 01:06:27 am
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 03:41:26 am »
I got a PS5 back in March by following some people on twitter(witch I would otherwise avoid like the plague) who notify when stock would drop. I got lucky with an alert at like 4 in the morning for a drop at target and had the target app on my phone already installed and ready to go hit add to cart and had to refresh many times but ended up with one for pick up later that day. The day before my birthday even. I do agree that there are not many PS5 games even worth getting a PS5 for but the fact that it plays almost all PS4 games that I have a huge backlog of made it worth it to me because a ton of them run so much better on PS5. I even have the PS4 pro but jumping to PS5 is still big. Alot of games that were 30 fps are now 60 fps not to mention the way faster load times. I do agree don't pay scalpers but I think if you can get one for MSRP its worth it if you have a huge backlog of PS4 games like I do

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 04:10:41 pm »
I will prob get one eventually, but I am in no hurry.
Much like the whole fuel crisis BS going on over here atm I refuse to sit in massive ques, get up at 2am or pay over RRP for what should be a off the shelf item.

When I can walk into a shop and buy one I may but much the same as most others on here there aint much thats getting me excited on the new gen.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 09:57:35 am »
I finally scored a PS5 - signed up for the invite from Sony and they sent me an email letting me know when to log on and buy one.  I also bought the Miles Morales Spider-Man game and an extra controller.   I don't think I'm going to open it until Christmas... might be a gift for my kid - not sure yet.  Either way, I need to buy a 4K TV to play it on.  I'm eyeing up the 77" LG C7 - it has good reviews so I'll probably bite.  Been putting this off for a while but now I have an excuse.

I will get an Xbox Series X eventually but probably not until next year.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:52:19 am by javeryh »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 10:35:16 am »
I almost bought a spider-man special edition PS4 Pro at my local second hand shop for $350. That seemed high, especially when I saw all the damage on the case, no original packaging, no game, no stand. At the store, they said that the PS4 demand is going up. I imagine it's because the PS5 is still not widely available.

If the PS5 is fully backwards compatible, then it would make sense to wait and buy a PS5 for retail than deal with that kind of money for old beat up consoles.

Thanks for sharing how you got your PS5.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:36:54 am by KenToad »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 11:27:56 am »
I almost bought a spider-man special edition PS4 Pro at my local second hand shop for $350. That seemed high, especially when I saw all the damage on the case, no original packaging, no game, no stand. At the store, they said that the PS4 demand is going up. I imagine it's because the PS5 is still not widely available.

If the PS5 is fully backwards compatible, then it would make sense to wait and buy a PS5 for retail than deal with that kind of money for old beat up consoles.

Thanks for sharing how you got your PS5.

I think the PS5 is fully backwards compatible so if I do hook it up I'll at least have games to play.  My PS4 collection is quite small.  I played God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, Everybody's Golf, Ratchet & Clank and Ghost of Tsushima.  Everything else I played on my Xbox One.  Honestly, I don't need the PS5 but what the hell - it's only money, right?  I rarely buy myself anything these days and this seemed like fun...

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 10:33:31 am »
I was fortunate to buy a Xbox Series X on the first day they went on sale a year ago through Amazon.  It took about 45 minutes after the launch time for the site to show them in stock but I was able to throw one in my shopping cart.  It either shipped on launch day or I received it that day.  I was pretty lucky to get it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 11:08:31 pm »
So, I got selected blah blah blah to buy a PS5. If anyone wants my reservation, let me know.

:cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 05:26:55 pm »
I finally hooked up the PS5 to my new TV and WOW.  It's really great.  I finished Astro's Adventure (came with it).  Fun little platformer. My son is already on the last mission of Spider-Man: Miles Morales, which looks amazing.  I also have Deathloop and Returnal but haven't tried them yet.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 04:04:44 pm »
Finally got around to Deathloop.  So far so good.  I'm only a few hours in and it's really confusing but I like it.  Hopefully things will start coming together.  The premise is really cool though.  There are 4 "levels" and you can play each one at 4 times of day (morning, noon, afternoon and night) and you can play them in any order and any time you want but each time you finish, time moves forward and after "night" the game starts you over on the same day.  You wake up on the beach with nothing... unless you figure out how to retain some stuff.  Playing a level earlier in the day can affect how later levels play out too.  Your goal is to kill 8 bosses on the island in one day to "break the loop".  So you need to learn routines and patterns, etc. as you play through.  Eventually (I presume), I'll figure out how to kill them all in one day.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 05:21:31 pm »
Nice 👍

I think a time for me to get into this generation of consoles. Going to try to score a PS5, really interested in Elden Ring. I never played a Souls game before but they always intrigued me. It’s got old school difficulty and “arcade-y” controls. Exactly the type of games I’m into.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2022, 11:09:30 am »
Nice 👍

I think a time for me to get into this generation of consoles. Going to try to score a PS5, really interested in Elden Ring. I never played a Souls game before but they always intrigued me. It’s got old school difficulty and “arcade-y” controls. Exactly the type of games I’m into.

I've been really enjoying the PS5 so far and Elden Ring is definitely on my list (and Horizon Forbidden West).  It seems like it would be right in my wheelhouse and the comparisons to Breath of Wild really appeal to me.  I've also never played a Souls game before but I am dipping my toes in the water with Bloodbourne, which was free at some point because it's in my library of games.  I only played for about an hour but I died a bunch already.  The first or second enemy took me out in 2 hits.  But each time I made it a little farther so I can see the appeal.  I got to what I think is the first boss area and got wrecked and haven't picked it up since because of Deathloop.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: PS5 & Xbox Series X Discussion
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2022, 08:56:02 am »
Been playing Horizon Forbidden West on PS5, I really like that one.    :cheers:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2022, 02:49:29 pm »

I've watched a few Youtube videos on that one and it looks really interesting.  How does it compare to Breath of the Wild?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2022, 06:21:12 pm »

I've watched a few Youtube videos on that one and it looks really interesting.  How does it compare to Breath of the Wild?

My kids have played BotW but not me, but I've watched it.  Seems somewhat similar, just much more adult themes in Forbidden West. 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2022, 12:41:44 pm »

My kids have played BotW but not me, but I've watched it.  Seems somewhat similar, just much more adult themes in Forbidden West.

Thanks!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2022, 02:40:42 pm »

I planned on buying this immediately but my backlog is huge.  I need to finish Deathloop, Returnal and Cyberpunk 2077 and I have less and less time for it.  Also, the last 2 weeks I got sucked back into Breath of the Wild.  I am really truly almost finished this time.  I have almost all the armor sets, 300+ Koroks (no way I am coming close to finding them all) and over 100 shrines.  I can go beat Gannon at any point but I am still obsessed with finishing all the quests and memories, etc. 

The game is absolutely gigantic and I think I could play it exclusively for another few years and still not do everything.  It's such a wonderful game I don't know how they can top it.  I guess better graphics and framerate would help plus making the shrines more organic so they feel like part of the world.  Make them caves or buildings or whatever. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2022, 05:11:54 pm »
Breath of the Wild never landed with me, but I really enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn. 

I told myself no new systems until I cleared out some stuff on my PS4 and Xbox 1.  So instead Malenko sent me a SEGA Genesis and now I buy Genesis games I don't play.  But it's technically not a new system!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2022, 06:16:03 pm »
I played through Super Metroid on SNES a couple of months ago ... and Link to the Past... so I get it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2022, 06:02:45 pm »
https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-exclusives/ Article from Feb. 25, 2022.

Has there ever been a major console with a lineup of exclusives this meager after a year of being on the market?

If you don't count the remakes, there are 4 games exclusive to the PS5 right now:

Astro's Playroom
Destruction All-Stars
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Returnal

Of those, only Ratchet and Clank is a system seller. The PS5 is the WiiU of the future, almost a totally unnecessary console. It's probably a good 4k player, at least.  :dunno

*Edit* So does Xbox Series have no exclusives? Seems like all the games play on Xbox One. If so, Xbox Series are truly unnecessary consoles because Xbox One S and better can already play 4k.  :laugh2:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 06:12:17 pm by KenToad »

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2022, 06:17:26 pm »
https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-exclusives/ Article from Feb. 25, 2022.

Has there ever been a major console with a lineup of exclusives this meager after a year of being on the market?

If you don't count the remakes, there are 4 games exclusive to the PS5 right now:

Astro's Playroom
Destruction All-Stars
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Returnal

Of those, only Ratchet and Clank is a system seller. The PS5 is the WiiU of the future, almost a totally unnecessary console. It's probably a good 4k player, at least.  :dunno

*Edit* So does Xbox Series have no exclusives? Seems like all the games play on Xbox One. If so, Xbox Series are truly unnecessary consoles because Xbox One S and better can already play 4k.  :laugh2:
At least on the Xbox, everything can be played cross gen so far. So current gen and last gen can play all the releases.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2022, 07:23:58 pm »
This is why I said it isn't time to upgrade.   Thus far all games released for the ps5/xbsx are also available on the ps4/xb1.   This means that the games are actually previous gen games with some minor graphical enhancements for the new consoles.   When they are only available on the new systems is when the truly next gen games have been released.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2022, 10:19:00 am »
This is why I said it isn't time to upgrade.   Thus far all games released for the ps5/xbsx are also available on the ps4/xb1.   This means that the games are actually previous gen games with some minor graphical enhancements for the new consoles.   When they are only available on the new systems is when the truly next gen games have been released.

I definitely agree with this.  I'm not sure the PS5 or Xbox Series X will ever see true exclusives - at least not for a long time.  That said, I am really enjoying my PS5.  I had a fat PS4 that I never really played because it literally sounded like a jet engine was revving up in the house every time I turned it on.  So I've been playing PS4 games I hadn't played on my PS5... but the real treat is playing on my 77" LG C1 4K TV.  It's glorious.

I'm playing Deathloop right now.  It's good.

So far I've played and finished:

- The Last of Us Remastered (incredible)
- Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (pretty decent)
- Astro's Playroom (really fun)
- Shadow of the Colossus (2018 remaster) (TERRIBLE)
- Lego DC Super Villains (fun but standard Lego stuff)

I own but have not played:

- Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Returnal
- Cyberpunk 2077

I've got my eye on:

- Elden Ring
- Horizon: Forbidden West

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2022, 11:03:32 am »
Did you find Shadow of the Colossus terrible because it was poorly remastered or because you don't like the gameplay?

The game was a huge disappointment for me. The graphics, ambience and even exploration, at first, are incredible, but I hated the fights with the bosses. I found the whole climb/grip system unfun. A lot of the monsters shake randomly. If you happen to not be gripping at that moment, you get shaken off. And your hero can't hold on for very long. It was like a whole game of some old-school thing where you have one difficult jump late in a level and, if you miss it, you are forced to play the whole level again.

Then, many of the bosses had patterns that IMO were not interesting in any way. The beasts just seem to be pacing back and forth waiting for you to kill them. The game ended up being this showpiece for graphics and sound (at least on the PS2), but with linear, scripted gameplay and nothing to do except follow your sword compass to the next annoying encounter.

I also didn't like ICO, again because of the linear gameplay, puzzles that are difficult for the wrong reasons, frustrating combat, and of course having to drag your helpless companion.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2022, 06:31:29 pm »
Did you find Shadow of the Colossus terrible because it was poorly remastered or because you don't like the gameplay?

The game was a huge disappointment for me. The graphics, ambience and even exploration, at first, are incredible, but I hated the fights with the bosses. I found the whole climb/grip system unfun. A lot of the monsters shake randomly. If you happen to not be gripping at that moment, you get shaken off. And your hero can't hold on for very long. It was like a whole game of some old-school thing where you have one difficult jump late in a level and, if you miss it, you are forced to play the whole level again.

Then, many of the bosses had patterns that IMO were not interesting in any way. The beasts just seem to be pacing back and forth waiting for you to kill them. The game ended up being this showpiece for graphics and sound (at least on the PS2), but with linear, scripted gameplay and nothing to do except follow your sword compass to the next annoying encounter.

I also didn't like ICO, again because of the linear gameplay, puzzles that are difficult for the wrong reasons, frustrating combat, and of course having to drag your helpless companion.

Are you me?  I actually have a copy on PS2 that I never got around to playing so when they remastered it I decided to make time for it (and what put me over the top was IGN ranking it as one of the the Top 50 games EVER made).  I thought the gameplay was incredibly boring and the controls were absolutely awful.  Frustrating and nothing redeeming about it.  The camera was bad too so jumping and moving in general just doesn't work.  There's a difference between "you need to get used to the controls" and "broken" and this game is so broken I wanted to throw my controller across the room a dozen times while playing.  I don't understand how everyone can just overlook this! 

When the game comes together - music starts swelling, the colossus is moving and you jump on and then hit the weak spot, etc. it's great but that happens like twice.  Maybe this was acceptable in 2005 on PS2 (I would have hated it then too) but in 2022 I don't think so. 

Plenty of games are "good for the time" but do not translate to all time greats due to advances in technology or some other similar game coming along that's just way better or whatever - lots of reasons.  No one thinks Adventure for the 2600 is one of the greatest games ever made even though it's still kind of fun but when it came out it was mind blowing.  It's like the entire gaming world has collective insanity when it comes to rating Shadow of the Colossus.  I do not understand.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2022, 09:56:08 pm »
I loved Shadow of the Colossus  :dunno

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2022, 09:37:12 am »
Walmart has the XBox Series X in stock right now if anyone is looking for one. They seem to have had more availability lately and don't sell out right away. Either they are getting big shipments of them or supply is catching up with demand. It's good news for those who haven't been able to find one yet.  :cheers:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-Series-X-Video-Game-Console-Black/443574645

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:39:22 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2022, 10:16:49 am »
I picked up an Series X at Target yesterday as they seem to be trickling in.  Overall, if you are on an original Xbox One and have or are moving to a 4K tv, the difference is substantial.   Not so much when compared to the Xbox One X.   I moved from the latter, and there are some nice improvements, especially in overall performance. It may not be worth it for others.   I knew I would eventually move over, so I looked at it as more of an opportunity purchase as there was one available and the price was normal.  Migrating from one to other was painless.  Also, any Series X optimized games, upgraded themselves automatically.   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2022, 03:45:24 am »
I loved Shadow of the Colossus  :dunno

Same.   Played the remake.   With updated graphics there is no reason to not like it unless you hate fun or something.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2022, 12:44:03 pm »
I definitely hate fun so this makes a lot of sense!  I honestly tried to like Shadow of the Colossus - I finished it!  I think I only actually enjoyed about 20 minutes out of the 15 hours I took to finish.  The rest of the time I was just yelling at the TV because my character wasn't doing what I was 100% sure I was inputting into the controller. 

I just started playing Tunic on Xbox Game Pass.  So far it's really clever.  It is a Legend of Zelda / Dark Souls (?) mash up.  It looks cute but it is pretty tough so far.  It's a top-down 3D isometric adventure game.  Intricate map, treasures, weapons, secrets, etc. (like Zelda).  When you die you lose all your gold but if you make it back to where you died you can see your ghost and pick up the lost treasure (like Dark Souls).  Combat is good so far - you can lock on to enemies and since they do a lot of damage you can't just button mash your way through. 

The "hook" is that the game itself is one giant puzzle - the in-game language is indecipherable but along the way you pick up pages to the "instruction manual" so you can figure out how to play, get tips on how to beat bosses, view the world map, learn about items, etc.  It looks exactly like the kind we used to get in old NES games.  Filled with maps, tips, hints, etc.  It's really well done.  I finished the first area (Eastern Forest) and am now wandering around looking for where to go next (there is no hand-holding by the game whatsoever).  Definitely check it out if you are looking for something fun.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2023, 03:56:08 pm »
Over the past year I’ve basically been playing nothing but PS5 games so the Xbox One and Switch are collecting dust.  I’m playing Horizon Forbidden West right now and it’s gigantic.  Probably have 50+ hours on it and I’m not even 1/2 way through.

Over the last 6 months or so I’ve finished Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga, Far Cry 6, Stray, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and a few others.  I have copies of Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok but haven’t tried them yet.  As you can tell, I’m very much enjoying the PS5.