Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Did any of you guys get a PS5 or Xbox Series X? How???  (Read 3458 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:43 am
Did any of you guys get a PS5 or Xbox Series X? How???
« on: September 24, 2021, 01:36:14 pm »
I have alerts on my phone set up and when they go off by the time I'm even able to open the page the consoles are gone.  I refuse to pay more than MSRP for one.  How can Sony and Microsoft claim that they are selling more consoles than any other systems in their history when there are no consoles available?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:40:59 am
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: Did any of you guys get a PS5 or Xbox Series X? How???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 02:05:16 pm »
I got mine PS5 from Sony Direct. 

They randomize you in queue when they have them for sale, and when you get to the front if there are any left, you can buy. 

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 02:53:32 pm »
I got mine PS5 from Sony Direct. 

They randomize you in queue when they have them for sale, and when you get to the front if there are any left, you can buy.

I have tried this with no luck so far.  Every time I am in the queue for a while I end up getting a message that says they will only sell to people who got invites directly from Sony via email... I haven't received any of those yet.  I'll keep trying even though there's nothing I'm dying to play on it... I just want to buy my first 4K TV so that will be my excuse  :)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:46:41 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 04:52:00 pm »
I have never seen either console in person, although weirdly I have seen two used Xbox Series S consoles at my local second hand gaming store.

Recently, I finally talked to someone who has a PS5. He somehow got one on launch and has two games for the console.

There is no way that the hoarding of consoles by scalpers can be considered anything but a crisis inside these companies. However, they won't admit that publicly. They could easily share how many consoles owned by unique users are connecting to their networks, but they're sharing sales numbers to bots and lumping their network stats together with their older consoles so that we the public can only speculate.

I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to go into a store and buy a new Xbox by the holidays, but the recent long lines at Best Buy's restock have me slightly worried, as my son would like to get the new console as a gift. If things continue like this, we may buy an Oculus instead because I refuse to pay scalpers.

In the end, it's not that big of a deal. We have a world of games and not enough time. I do hope that these scalpers end up learning their lesson, though.

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 09:02:51 pm »
I have never seen either console in person, although weirdly I have seen two used Xbox Series S consoles at my local second hand gaming store.

Recently, I finally talked to someone who has a PS5. He somehow got one on launch and has two games for the console.

There is no way that the hoarding of consoles by scalpers can be considered anything but a crisis inside these companies. However, they won't admit that publicly. They could easily share how many consoles owned by unique users are connecting to their networks, but they're sharing sales numbers to bots and lumping their network stats together with their older consoles so that we the public can only speculate.

I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to go into a store and buy a new Xbox by the holidays, but the recent long lines at Best Buy's restock have me slightly worried, as my son would like to get the new console as a gift. If things continue like this, we may buy an Oculus instead because I refuse to pay scalpers.

In the end, it's not that big of a deal. We have a world of games and not enough time. I do hope that these scalpers end up learning their lesson, though.

yeah I totally agree.  The attachment rate for games must be abysmal if all of these consoles are sitting with scalpers.  I mean, you can get one easily for $900.  I'm not biting and it's definitely not a big deal.  I'll be a little bummed next year when I can't play God of War or the new Horizon but there's plenty to do in the meantime. 

I got an Oculus last Christmas and really like it.  It's not for "real" games (or at least I haven't found any) but the ones I have played are nice little diversions.  The ping pong game is really cool.  Beat Saber obviously.  I also like the Darth Vader game so far but only played a little.  I am not into shooters so the FPS stuff doesn't interest me.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:03:55 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 09:12:48 pm »
Itís probably a reflection of my rapidly diminishing mental capacity, but nothing about this generation has gotten any enthusiasm out of me.  This is the first time in 32 years Iíve been indifferent.  Iím actually regressing and go back to old consoles.  Gameboy, Saturn, Genesis, etc in the past couple of years.

:dunno

Iíve still got sealed Xbox One, PS4, and Switch games.

Inevitably, something will come out that gets me hot and Iíll buy them but until then Iím holding out for $150 with a game.
I aspire to be involved in the classic gaming community.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 06:11:22 am »
Considering these new consoles/platforms are x86 and have the graphical capability of a RX 480.

I still get play on the Xbox One, PC and my vast amount of consoles and game disks (that are still shrink wrapped).

Like Jim says nothing appeals to me to purchase one.  I don't have the drive to code for them either.

Getting old I guess.  :oldman

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:47:36 am
  • card carrying purist
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 06:21:25 am »
Just get off the train.

Stop trying to buy stuff that is back ordered, out of stock, paying more than list, etc.

It is just another source of anxiety in a world that is stuffed full of sources of anxiety if you seek it out.

Oh. Add prepaying Kickstarter ---uvulas--- for stuff that doesn't exist yet to the list.

There are a bazillion games you can play that already exist and are readily available.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:36:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 10:03:58 pm »
I'll tell you guys when it's time to upgrade.   Pro tip:   It's not time to upgrade.   There simply aren't any games available nor will there be until late 2022.   Even then none of the exclusives look particularly good.   I might finally skip a generation. 

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2021, 09:38:27 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 09:27:28 pm »
If you follow Wario 64 on Twitter, he will give you a heads up when PS5ís Or Xboxes are available.

kane916

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2021, 12:39:49 am
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 03:41:26 am »
I got a PS5 back in March by following some people on twitter(witch I would otherwise avoid like the plague) who notify when stock would drop. I got lucky with an alert at like 4 in the morning for a drop at target and had the target app on my phone already installed and ready to go hit add to cart and had to refresh many times but ended up with one for pick up later that day. The day before my birthday even. I do agree that there are not many PS5 games even worth getting a PS5 for but the fact that it plays almost all PS4 games that I have a huge backlog of made it worth it to me because a ton of them run so much better on PS5. I even have the PS4 pro but jumping to PS5 is still big. Alot of games that were 30 fps are now 60 fps not to mention the way faster load times. I do agree don't pay scalpers but I think if you can get one for MSRP its worth it if you have a huge backlog of PS4 games like I do

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 10:34:52 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 04:10:41 pm »
I will prob get one eventually, but I am in no hurry.
Much like the whole fuel crisis BS going on over here atm I refuse to sit in massive ques, get up at 2am or pay over RRP for what should be a off the shelf item.

When I can walk into a shop and buy one I may but much the same as most others on here there aint much thats getting me excited on the new gen.

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 09:57:35 am »
I finally scored a PS5 - signed up for the invite from Sony and they sent me an email letting me know when to log on and buy one.  I also bought the Miles Morales Spider-Man game and an extra controller.   I don't think I'm going to open it until Christmas... might be a gift for my kid - not sure yet.  Either way, I need to buy a 4K TV to play it on.  I'm eyeing up the 77" LG C7 - it has good reviews so I'll probably bite.  Been putting this off for a while but now I have an excuse.

I will get an Xbox Series X eventually but probably not until next year.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:52:19 am by javeryh »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:46:41 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 10:35:16 am »
I almost bought a spider-man special edition PS4 Pro at my local second hand shop for $350. That seemed high, especially when I saw all the damage on the case, no original packaging, no game, no stand. At the store, they said that the PS4 demand is going up. I imagine it's because the PS5 is still not widely available.

If the PS5 is fully backwards compatible, then it would make sense to wait and buy a PS5 for retail than deal with that kind of money for old beat up consoles.

Thanks for sharing how you got your PS5.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:36:54 am by KenToad »

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 11:27:56 am »
I almost bought a spider-man special edition PS4 Pro at my local second hand shop for $350. That seemed high, especially when I saw all the damage on the case, no original packaging, no game, no stand. At the store, they said that the PS4 demand is going up. I imagine it's because the PS5 is still not widely available.

If the PS5 is fully backwards compatible, then it would make sense to wait and buy a PS5 for retail than deal with that kind of money for old beat up consoles.

Thanks for sharing how you got your PS5.

I think the PS5 is fully backwards compatible so if I do hook it up I'll at least have games to play.  My PS4 collection is quite small.  I played God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, Everybody's Golf, Ratchet & Clank and Ghost of Tsushima.  Everything else I played on my Xbox One.  Honestly, I don't need the PS5 but what the hell - it's only money, right?  I rarely buy myself anything these days and this seemed like fun...

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2021, 05:30:09 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 10:33:31 am »
I was fortunate to buy a Xbox Series X on the first day they went on sale a year ago through Amazon.  It took about 45 minutes after the launch time for the site to show them in stock but I was able to throw one in my shopping cart.  It either shipped on launch day or I received it that day.  I was pretty lucky to get it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:03:55 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 11:08:31 pm »
So, I got selected blah blah blah to buy a PS5. If anyone wants my reservation, let me know.

:cheers:
I aspire to be involved in the classic gaming community.