Main > Consoles

PS5 & Xbox Series X Discussion

<< < (7/8) > >>

Howard_Casto:
This is why I said it isn't time to upgrade.   Thus far all games released for the ps5/xbsx are also available on the ps4/xb1.   This means that the games are actually previous gen games with some minor graphical enhancements for the new consoles.   When they are only available on the new systems is when the truly next gen games have been released.

javeryh:

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on March 14, 2022, 07:23:58 pm ---This is why I said it isn't time to upgrade.   Thus far all games released for the ps5/xbsx are also available on the ps4/xb1.   This means that the games are actually previous gen games with some minor graphical enhancements for the new consoles.   When they are only available on the new systems is when the truly next gen games have been released.

--- End quote ---

I definitely agree with this.  I'm not sure the PS5 or Xbox Series X will ever see true exclusives - at least not for a long time.  That said, I am really enjoying my PS5.  I had a fat PS4 that I never really played because it literally sounded like a jet engine was revving up in the house every time I turned it on.  So I've been playing PS4 games I hadn't played on my PS5... but the real treat is playing on my 77" LG C1 4K TV.  It's glorious.

I'm playing Deathloop right now.  It's good.

So far I've played and finished:

- The Last of Us Remastered (incredible)
- Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (pretty decent)
- Astro's Playroom (really fun)
- Shadow of the Colossus (2018 remaster) (TERRIBLE)
- Lego DC Super Villains (fun but standard Lego stuff)

I own but have not played:

- Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Returnal
- Cyberpunk 2077

I've got my eye on:

- Elden Ring
- Horizon: Forbidden West

KenToad:
Did you find Shadow of the Colossus terrible because it was poorly remastered or because you don't like the gameplay?

The game was a huge disappointment for me. The graphics, ambience and even exploration, at first, are incredible, but I hated the fights with the bosses. I found the whole climb/grip system unfun. A lot of the monsters shake randomly. If you happen to not be gripping at that moment, you get shaken off. And your hero can't hold on for very long. It was like a whole game of some old-school thing where you have one difficult jump late in a level and, if you miss it, you are forced to play the whole level again.

Then, many of the bosses had patterns that IMO were not interesting in any way. The beasts just seem to be pacing back and forth waiting for you to kill them. The game ended up being this showpiece for graphics and sound (at least on the PS2), but with linear, scripted gameplay and nothing to do except follow your sword compass to the next annoying encounter.

I also didn't like ICO, again because of the linear gameplay, puzzles that are difficult for the wrong reasons, frustrating combat, and of course having to drag your helpless companion.

javeryh:

--- Quote from: KenToad on March 17, 2022, 11:03:32 am ---Did you find Shadow of the Colossus terrible because it was poorly remastered or because you don't like the gameplay?

The game was a huge disappointment for me. The graphics, ambience and even exploration, at first, are incredible, but I hated the fights with the bosses. I found the whole climb/grip system unfun. A lot of the monsters shake randomly. If you happen to not be gripping at that moment, you get shaken off. And your hero can't hold on for very long. It was like a whole game of some old-school thing where you have one difficult jump late in a level and, if you miss it, you are forced to play the whole level again.

Then, many of the bosses had patterns that IMO were not interesting in any way. The beasts just seem to be pacing back and forth waiting for you to kill them. The game ended up being this showpiece for graphics and sound (at least on the PS2), but with linear, scripted gameplay and nothing to do except follow your sword compass to the next annoying encounter.

I also didn't like ICO, again because of the linear gameplay, puzzles that are difficult for the wrong reasons, frustrating combat, and of course having to drag your helpless companion.

--- End quote ---

Are you me?  I actually have a copy on PS2 that I never got around to playing so when they remastered it I decided to make time for it (and what put me over the top was IGN ranking it as one of the the Top 50 games EVER made).  I thought the gameplay was incredibly boring and the controls were absolutely awful.  Frustrating and nothing redeeming about it.  The camera was bad too so jumping and moving in general just doesn't work.  There's a difference between "you need to get used to the controls" and "broken" and this game is so broken I wanted to throw my controller across the room a dozen times while playing.  I don't understand how everyone can just overlook this! 

When the game comes together - music starts swelling, the colossus is moving and you jump on and then hit the weak spot, etc. it's great but that happens like twice.  Maybe this was acceptable in 2005 on PS2 (I would have hated it then too) but in 2022 I don't think so. 

Plenty of games are "good for the time" but do not translate to all time greats due to advances in technology or some other similar game coming along that's just way better or whatever - lots of reasons.  No one thinks Adventure for the 2600 is one of the greatest games ever made even though it's still kind of fun but when it came out it was mind blowing.  It's like the entire gaming world has collective insanity when it comes to rating Shadow of the Colossus.  I do not understand.

opt2not:
I loved Shadow of the Colossus  :dunno

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version