Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Now that I have everything set up, what video settings should I use in MAME? pic  (Read 2900 times)

DaddyLongLegs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
So I now have my ATI video card with Atom-15 flashed, crtemudriver installed, and groovymame with my standard res Wells Gardner 25" monitor in my Windows 10 cab.

I noticed when playing a game when I went into the MAME menu by pressing tab, there was a video options setting. I noticed the default is this:

Non-interger scaling is set to "ON".

I would assume GroovyMAME would have everything set up to make everything "pixel perfect" so I was kind of surprised to see that default to on. Isn't non-interger scaling a bad thing? It will mishape pixels just to make it fit the screen, correct?

When I set it to off:

the game takes up a little less of the whole screen, but I could swear it looks more "pixel perfect".

Am I crazy and just seeing things? Should I have non-interger scaling set to on or off?

Also vertical games like Ikari Warriors and Ms. Pac-Man are completely cut off. I can't even see the scores in either game, unless I use the built-in feature of MAME to stretch and skew the image, which looks terrible.
Is there a way to tell GroovyMAME to take vertical games and run them at a custom res that will show the entire screen, without having to use the ugly adjustments in MAME?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone that can help with these two questions. I am just trying to get everything to look flawless is all! :)

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:41:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi,

I use native resolutions with GroovyMame SR2, i think is way to go. Two options are OFF.

Anyway seems label have to be "Integer scaling".

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
With super resolutions, GM will set fractional scaling in x axis, that's expected.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:41:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
With super resolutions, GM will set fractional scaling in x axis, that's expected.
Yes, i tested with 2560x0 and says "X-Only"

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Yes, i tested with 2560x0 and says "X-Only"

Correct, GM does that automatically.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
When I switch non-interget scaling to "off" in each game, every time I go back to the game, it's set back to ON. Is there any way to get groovymame to remember my settings?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
When I switch non-interget scaling to "off" in each game, every time I go back to the game, it's set back to ON. Is there any way to get groovymame to remember my settings?

No, don't touch that.
Steps to create a log: