Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Found an easy alternative to Rowe Ami CD Jukebox color tube motor  (Read 6060 times)

jeroen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2021, 06:45:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Found an easy alternative to Rowe Ami CD Jukebox color tube motor
« on: September 21, 2021, 06:47:52 am »
I just acquired a Rowe Ami CD100D. Everything works fine except for the color tube motor. The belt was missing and the motor does not turn. Looked into fixing this, but can only find expensive old used motors on Ebay, or cheap alternative motors with different shaft sizes. Thought about going the latter route and buying a new pulley and belt to fit, but it would be a big hassle and costs would quickly add up. Then I realized that the color tube on my jukebox just has straight gel colors, so rotating it would not even add much of a visual effect.

So I went a different route. For under $10 I bought a 16.4'/5m LED light strip. I removed the original fluorescent tube light from under the color tube, and wrapped the light strip around the color tube. Plugged the light strip into the open plug in the amplifier compartment, which is powered on and off by the main power switch on the back of the machine. Stuck the LED light transformer on the backwall, and that's it. Done. Now I have colorful LED lights that come on as soon as I turn on the machine. I have set them to change colors constantly at a medium/slow pace (kind of what I would expect from the rotating color tube). Also adds a nice visual in the animation area, with lots of colored dots showing up.

Just thought this might help out somebody else thinking about replacing their color tube motor.