Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ridge Racer 2 and Rave Racer link play working in MAME WIP test build.  (Read 22849 times)

Viper015

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2022, 04:56:52 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Ridge Racer 2 and Rave Racer link play working in MAME WIP test build.
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2022, 10:16:01 pm »
I stumbled across this forum searching to make these arcade games linkable, Thankyou to John Bennet for the efforts to get Ridge Racer 2 & Rave Racer working in linkup. Thanks Also to MrThunderwig for your batch input. I have these two setup working based on the information youve provided through this forum. Great work. Much appreciated.

first tried Johns Ridge Racer 2 setup with Mame 239 & it wouldnt work but realised his specific Mame exe was required. Ive found Ridge Racer 2 & Rave Racer to act the same as Wing War when linking 3 machines together. Wing War would link up but crash out shortly after due to it being a 2 machine linkup, with two machines Wing War behaved & was stable as is Ridge Racer 2 & Rave Racer.

I have 3 seperate machines with different wheels connected to each so been happily testing this stuff. You guys have done an awesome job getting these two work & Im happy to help test scenarios with 3 machines if it helps the cause.

When these machines are run at the same time the linkup works but Ive found if thier not then one of the 3 machines acts likes its crashed or runs at like 2 fps, they become unresponsive so Ive learned to make a batch file to run them in linkup seperate to when I play solo as trying to change the master/slave in the service menu is horrible if I did that playing solo. not sure why but its network search related, anyway my 2 cents worth.

John Bennett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2023, 05:38:11 pm
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2022, 06:23:01 pm »
Hi folks - great to hear it's working for more of you.
I've not managed to get three games to link up properly yet. I'm clearly doing something fundamentally wrong, I've just not managed to work it out, but I'll keep trying, just had to pause this for a few months to clear a backlog of other arcade projects.

I hope it's ok to hijack this thread to ask a question of you controls/PC people....
How do you interface the controls of Ridge Racer to your PC?
I ask there's an I/O PCB there which communicates with the game PCB via some form of serial/SPI/I2C link (and this PCB has all controls I/O and also the sound DACs on it).

So has anyone managed to connect an I/O PCB to a PC via some homebrew interfacing electronics?  :)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2022, 10:46:25 pm »
I haven't heard about interfacing an IO board directly. Wouldn't you need to write a USB descriptor? Or at any rate break the signals back down to something a board with an existing USB descriptor could use.

Most of the time people are using something like an L2M2 or arduino or MMOS controller with H-Bridges to drive the existing hardware, i believe. There's a few threads on the front page, but the best example might be Empo's thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159162.0.html

John Bennett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2022, 02:49:38 am »
Thanks. Yes, looks far from trivial - I/O board has the audio DACs on it too, so it'd be (custom)MAME->USB->CustomPCB->I/O PCB, with quite a high transfer rate.

I thought it worth asking as it would reduce the modifications required to a machine, but I can see why it's not an obvious route now  :o

flybynight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 06:30:47 pm
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2022, 12:30:18 pm »
I've the Japanese twin cab and am happy to take photos/videos.

I interface the PC to the cabinet and it works perfect. You bypass the original PCBs and Io board and interface the PC to the wires of the cabinet IO harness.
All you need it the bog standard UHID interface from Ultimark then a few molex/JAE connector blocks and the wiring schematic. You also need a small 12v audio amp for the sound.

Everything plugs in and out so you can swap back to the PCB and the PC any time.

It's better than the real thing to be honest as it's 480p resolution on the PC  rather than 480i resolution on the PCB (I swapped the original MS8 15K monitors with WellGardner 92000 quad sync CRT's)

The UHID doesn't do force feed back but that's ok as the Japanese cab doesn't come with force-feed back, just a steering spring

I do have all the parts to implement for force feed back on the PCBs:
1.The namco FFB board (part number 2419962101)
2.motor (standard HAPP motor)
3.transformer (240V AC to 24V AC @ 3Amps transformer and 240V AC to 15V AC @ 0.5 Amps transformer - namco did an all in one transformer unit for this.)
These FFB parts were in USA Rave Racer, Dirt Dash and Motor Cross Go.

As far as I know, nobody has made a DIY "L2M2" type PC interface for the namco force feed back board 2419962101 so if I install that in the cab, FFB will work on the real PCB but then there would be no force feed back on the PC.

I have the FFB kit for Sega Ford Racing (FFB board connected to the parallel port - again no PC driver that I know of) and an FFB all-in-one board Immersion USB from Global VR - this one seems to be the best option for PC but then you would lose FFB on the real PCB.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:51:57 pm by flybynight »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2022, 04:52:01 am »
I found a really great interesting article online about an attempt to try and preserve the 'Last Ridge Racer' full scale machine. Genuinely really interesting read.

https://arcadeblogger.com/2022/11/20/the-last-ridge-racer/

flybynight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2022, 06:24:41 am »
That was a great read! Seems like the guy made up that story of moving into a house and "finding" the PCB's but anyway great news the roms were saved.

Did you see in the new November MAME and soon to be released in December's MAME, MAME developer "Windyfairy" has added in some new graphics fixes to Ridge Racer (accurate shadows) plus added network card emulation to the Konami hornet and viper systems. Another MAME developer Ville had previously worked on this and said the network emulation was holding back a bunch of the Konami 3D Racers so fingers crossed for more working driving games soon.

@John Bennett perhaps yourself and Windyfairy could collaborate on your excellent work?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2022, 06:48:42 am »
I found a really great interesting article online about an attempt to try and preserve the 'Last Ridge Racer' full scale machine. Genuinely really interesting read.

https://arcadeblogger.com/2022/11/20/the-last-ridge-racer/
Thanks for posting that.

Glad the roms got dumped, but it's a shame the entire setup wasn't cared for more properly.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2022, 06:49:20 pm »
That was a great read! Seems like the guy made up that story of moving into a house and "finding" the PCB's but anyway great news the roms were saved.

Yeah, kind of odd that someone would go to all that trouble to get ahold of it and then just leave it to rot in their back garden and garage. I wonder if it was someone who had grandiose plans for it and quickly realised they'd bitten off more than they could chew...?

...MAME developer "Windyfairy" has added in some new graphics fixes to Ridge Racer...

'Windfairy' is a state I hope to aspire to in 2 days time, after consuming my own bodyweight in Turkey, brussel spouts, breadsauce and stuffing. Nom.  ;D Happy Christmas all!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 06:54:18 pm by MrThunderwing »

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 09:12:11 pm
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2022, 08:29:22 am »
If you are using two PC's, add these to the mame.ini file:

PC#1 Left side, Car 1, hostname: PC1 mame.ini settings:

# CORE COMM OPTIONS
comm_localhost            0.0.0.0
comm_localport            15111
comm_remotehost           PC2
comm_remoteport           15112
comm_framesync            0

PC#2 Right side, Car 2, hostname: PC2 mame.ini settings:

# CORE COMM OPTIONS
comm_localhost            0.0.0.0
comm_localport            15112
comm_remotehost           PC1
comm_remoteport           15111
comm_framesync            0

Then start up PC2, launch the game and tap F2 to enter service mode. Set it to Car 2 and change the colour to Yellow.

It didn't work for me. In the options screen, "LINK" is there, but it is inaccessible. I can't find the solution.

flybynight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2022, 09:11:57 am »
Replace PC1 and PC2 with the hostname of your two pc's.  Confirm you can ping them from each other.

Temporarily turn off windows firewall on both.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 09:12:11 pm
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2022, 12:25:33 pm »
Replace PC1 and PC2 with the hostname of your two pc's.  Confirm you can ping them from each other.

Temporarily turn off windows firewall on both.

When doing the ping test the results were:

PC1
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

PC2
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

I don't know what happened to PC1. I can even only link SF Rush, which is through a bridge connection. Model 2, Supermodel and Teknoparrot are not working in link. A few days ago I've been messing with the properties of "IP Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" on PC1. I believe I have changed something and have not come back. But I don't know what it is anymore. Is there a way to reset?

*Edit: Actually what I messed up was in "Realtek Gaming 2.5GbE Family Controller Properties" in the "Advanced" tab. I'm trying to fix this. I am ashamed that I know so little about these things, talking to people who understand so much about the subject. I am very grateful to everyone.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 08:33:50 am by Super-Becker »

John Bennett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2023, 10:26:30 am »

Did you see in the new November MAME and soon to be released in December's MAME, MAME developer "Windyfairy" has added in some new graphics fixes to Ridge Racer (accurate shadows) plus added network card emulation to the Konami hornet and viper systems. Another MAME developer Ville had previously worked on this and said the network emulation was holding back a bunch of the Konami 3D Racers so fingers crossed for more working driving games soon.

@John Bennett perhaps yourself and Windyfairy could collaborate on your excellent work?

Happy new year!
Yeah, that was all made up about finding a Fullscale in the house, same bloke. So bloody annoying, the whole thing, but at least we saved the main parts.

If you look down on in that arcadeblogger page, there's a link to a video of an MX-5 dash on the floor - that's me. My current plans are:
Build up a PCB (parts arrive this week) so I can drive an MX-5 dash from a PC (without piles of wires and stripboard). Fullscale used a 'V138' PCB to drive the room lights and the dashboard. I cloned that for documentation purposes, then made my own version that talks to a PC and uses a dsPIC to control everything.
This'll draw a line under the fullscale emulation.
Tidy up the driver, and pull any recent updates (like the shadows you mention).
Put the code out there in the state it's in now.
Keep tinkering when I can.

I'm not really interested in putting the code into MAME myself, but it'll be there for people to pick apart. Code reviews are bad enough in a job, I'm not enduring them for a hobby  :D (plus that code is hack-central, it'll have people twitching, but I wanted it playable).

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2023, 06:06:01 pm »
mms (in the test mode) and that gave me the basic gist of what's going on.
Incase I needed more, I bought a Final Lap dual boardset I could wire-up.
But I haven't  needed to yet...- I tend to find just using the MAME debugger and a text window (turn on 'verbose' in the mame cfg and you can see some of my debugs) and I can get a good enough idea of what's going on. It's about stepping through the game code and commenting it, in order to work out what it's expecting from the chip, in terms of where data should be. I effectively need to see what the comms IC has to do in order to keep the game code happy.

I'm starting to think the 'loop' is purely a software thing. One board sends to the next, then the game code has to take the data and put it back into the comms IC buffer to send to the third board. I'd previously assumed this was automated. So might have made a little progress - I think there's something fundamental like this which is stopping 3/4 of the games from working.
well, that is what I did when I reverse engineered the model-1 comm board.
sorry for being late to the party ;)

did you ever upload your code somewhere? would love to take a peek :)
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

John Bennett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2023, 05:32:03 am »

well, that is what I did when I reverse engineered the model-1 comm board.
sorry for being late to the party ;)

did you ever upload your code somewhere? would love to take a peek :)

No, I hadn't - you might know how it is, you want to get something into a decent state before sharing it. But I PROMISE, I'll upload it in the next 2 weeks. I think I have to realise I'll never get the time to work out why I can't get 3 games working, or any System 2 games.
I'll never get it MAME-worthy, but I'd also like to take out some of the shameful hackiness and make it at-least understandable for anyone wanting to try and help evolve it.

Did you implement the synchronisation for the Model 1 games? I think that's possibly where what I've done falls apart (not all games tolerate missing packets).

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2023, 10:35:04 am »
I'm workin on the X- and Y-Board Comm right now - All I have is a ROM image...
not even a photo of the boards *smirks* talk about being "hacky".

As for the Model-1 sync - I actually have the VINT hooked up yes - the MASTER machine will send an additional "SYNC" packet on the run. All machines wait (including the MASTER) will wait 'til they receive that SYNC packet before moving on.
However - this will "lockup" MAME if the link to the MASTER is lost. Not ideal.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:10:47 pm
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2023, 11:09:05 pm »
Got Rave Racer running today, pretty awesome. Thanks to JB for the build!

I did try the FFB plugin and can't seem to get it running. Anyone got it working?  After setting Outputs = Windows in MAME.ini, and selecting my wheel from the FFB plugin GUI, is there anything else needed?

Did you ever get force feedback working with this custom Mame version? I know you have to go into the service menu from the dip switches and turn on force feedback for Rave Racer but it still does not work for me assuming I am doing it right. I wonder if it only works for the normal Mame version?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2023, 11:22:45 pm »
I never got it working, no. Other ppl seem to say they have? I'd be keen to hear if you crack it :)

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2023, 05:08:52 pm »
I never got it working, no. Other ppl seem to say they have? I'd be keen to hear if you crack it :)

It appears to me that it does not work. I setup the regular mame64.exe and Rave Racer and went into the service menu and turned on ffb (upon entering service menu from tab key > Dip switches > hit gas twice if configured to go into and select ffb, turn steering wheel to right to turn on ffb, hit tab go back to dip switches and turn off service menu) and it worked fine assuming you have the ffb files in the Mame folder. The same thing does not work for this custom Mame version even when renaming the exe to mame64.exe unfortunately. The author of ffb may be able to get it to work with some minor changes.

John Bennett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2023, 05:51:47 pm »
I'm workin on the X- and Y-Board Comm right now - All I have is a ROM image...
not even a photo of the boards *smirks* talk about being "hacky".

As for the Model-1 sync - I actually have the VINT hooked up yes - the MASTER machine will send an additional "SYNC" packet on the run. All machines wait (including the MASTER) will wait 'til they receive that SYNC packet before moving on.
However - this will "lockup" MAME if the link to the MASTER is lost. Not ideal.
I did notice the waiting strategy :D - I can't deny, I copied and pasted a lot of your Model 1 comms driver for this. The problem I had with the sync is that there's no obvious master in the Namco setup, well other than 3-screen games. I'll have to come back to it.

As for the force feedback - sorry, I've not got anything that supports it to test it. I certainly didn't deliberately disable anything - my code is based on a version of the MAME source from around 2020 (I can't remember the specific version). I only compiled in a limited set of games, but maybe something else needs to be in the build for FFB to work. Interesting.
I need to update it anyway, looks like some S22 graphical improvements have gone into MAME recently. (for the record, I am working on the comms code again right now after a hiatus)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 05:54:30 pm by John Bennett »

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2023, 09:42:45 pm »
As for the force feedback - sorry, I've not got anything that supports it to test it. I certainly didn't deliberately disable anything - my code is based on a version of the MAME source from around 2020 (I can't remember the specific version). I only compiled in a limited set of games, but maybe something else needs to be in the build for FFB to work. Interesting.
I need to update it anyway, looks like some S22 graphical improvements have gone into MAME recently. (for the record, I am working on the comms code again right now after a hiatus)

Actually Boomslang made me realize the FFB with your mame version works if you open up one player without the commport type commands. However, when running the bat file to open up both mames in two player mode, it has no FFB. Boomslang may know why that would be so we can give him some time to respond.

John Bennett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2023, 05:59:10 pm »
Apologies Sailorsat, I know I promised to put the code out there, but I really wanted to port it to the latest MAME and tidy it up.
It's now compiled, so I'll strip out the non-working hacks next and it'll be up soon.
I'll put up a new .exe for people to play with too. No new games are working with linkup, but you'll get the benefits of the latest video improvements to System22  8)

John Bennett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2023, 06:01:16 pm »
https://philwip.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/MameJB_2_22.zip

That's my linkup code ported to the latest MAME, so you get the graphical updates and linkup for RR2 and Rave Racer.

.... and in the .zip file is the source code for the files I edited, hope it's of some interest, Sailorsat :-).

I'd like to think I've built up some momentum, and tidying it up has helped a bit, so I'll try to focus a bit on it over the next few months.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2023, 02:53:56 am »
Lookin' interesting :D - Keep it up :)

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2023, 04:29:20 pm »
Does this work fullscreen? I finally got through setting up all of my bat file code to get 2 player link mode going and I am realizing that it is not fullscreen and the normal fullscreen settings I use for other games does not work. Is this just a blip on my side or is there something going on with this custom mame version that will not go fullscreen and have a border?

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2023, 12:47:03 pm »
Does this work fullscreen? I finally got through setting up all of my bat file code to get 2 player link mode going and I am realizing that it is not fullscreen and the normal fullscreen settings I use for other games does not work. Is this just a blip on my side or is there something going on with this custom mame version that will not go fullscreen and have a border?

I copied my name.ini from my regular full screen Mame games and it did not work. Adding x stretch still leaves a gap and the border. I am thinking of using a third party program to try to make it full screen if no one else has a solution?

John Bennett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2023, 05:38:11 pm »

Hmm, there's nothing I've intentionally changed - it's literally the four .cpp/.h files for the game drivers I've changed, not core MAME.
I'm still working on the next version, so I'll try to remember to take a look (I'll admit, I've only used it in windowed mode when testing).

TheCiscoKid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 05:07:55 am
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2023, 10:34:03 pm »
Just wanted to say I've set this up on my 2-PC racing setup and it works fantastically, thanks so much for your hard work JB  :laugh:

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2023, 02:49:39 pm »
Just wanted to say I've set this up on my 2-PC racing setup and it works fantastically, thanks so much for your hard work JB  :laugh:
Are you able to get this to the play full screen? If so, how?

TheCiscoKid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 05:07:55 am
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2023, 10:58:17 am »
Are you able to get this to the play full screen? If so, how?

Try editing the linkup .bat files in notepad and delete the "-w" after jbmame

holmes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:42:06 pm
Got Rave Racer running today, pretty awesome. Thanks to JB for the build!

I did try the FFB plugin and can't seem to get it running. Anyone got it working?  After setting Outputs = Windows in MAME.ini, and selecting my wheel from the FFB plugin GUI, is there anything else needed?

I have alors been unsuccessful with FFB. I tried renaming JB's executable to mame.exe but that did not work.
Any idea ?

frankrizzo2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:39:53 pm
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2024, 02:40:22 am »
Were you able to get FFB working on this build? I wonder if the rom name is different than what Boomslangs FFB Plugin is looking for? This was the game I played a ton as a kid, so it would be really great to have link play and FFB working on my twin cab.