Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Ridge Racer 2 and Rave Racer link play working in MAME WIP test build.

<< < (8/9) > >>

John Bennett:
 I've got to confess, I don't know what's going on with MAME and inputs. At one stage I had to focus a window to control an instance of the game. Now it controls all instances simultaneously, which is a bit annoying when I just want to mess with one.

I'm still looking at this code almost daily, just slowed a bit due to other commitments. I've kinda ripped it all apart to work out better what's going on with both the games and the global inputs data transfer, so it might take a while.

Yep, HLSL doesn't achieve much as this stuff is 640x480 interlaced, so doesn't really cry out for thick scanlines and screen burn. My original videos were painfully slow as I had a crap PC and it was also running the games on one instance of MAME back then. Fullscale runs at full speed on my new PC .

JoeShmo:
John,
Would it help your reverse-engineering efforts if you had two actual RR2 boardsets?  You could hook up an oscilloscope to see/decode the packets between the two systems, and/or monitor input/output on the pins to get a better idea of what's going on.  But I think that alone would be quite the setup.  You'd also have to build out most of the rest of the controls/video to get both games fired up, and a linked game started.

If you lived in the US, I'd have no problem giving you both my RR2 boardsets, as outside the US, I'd imagine shipping would be insane.  Just throwing it out there... I've got my RR2 twin cab converted to mame, so no need for these boardsets.

John Bennett:

--- Quote from: JoeShmo on December 07, 2021, 11:36:38 am ---John,
Would it help your reverse-engineering efforts if you had two actual RR2 boardsets?  You could hook up an oscilloscope to see/decode the packets between the two systems, and/or monitor input/output on the pins to get a better idea of what's going on.  But I think that alone would be quite the setup.  You'd also have to build out most of the rest of the controls/video to get both games fired up, and a linked game started.

If you lived in the US, I'd have no problem giving you both my RR2 boardsets, as outside the US, I'd imagine shipping would be insane.  Just throwing it out there... I've got my RR2 twin cab converted to mame, so no need for these boardsets.

--- End quote ---

That's a very kind offer (and also nice to be reminded you can now run without boardsets due to all this emulation tinkering).
I'd say I'm ok though, thanks. I put a loopback on Rolling Thunder 2 a while ago to scope the comms (in the test mode) and that gave me the basic gist of what's going on.
Incase I needed more, I bought a Final Lap dual boardset I could wire-up.
But I haven't  needed to yet...- I tend to find just using the MAME debugger and a text window (turn on 'verbose' in the mame cfg and you can see some of my debugs) and I can get a good enough idea of what's going on. It's about stepping through the game code and commenting it, in order to work out what it's expecting from the chip, in terms of where data should be. I effectively need to see what the comms IC has to do in order to keep the game code happy.

I'm starting to think the 'loop' is purely a software thing. One board sends to the next, then the game code has to take the data and put it back into the comms IC buffer to send to the third board. I'd previously assumed this was automated. So might have made a little progress - I think there's something fundamental like this which is stopping 3/4 of the games from working.

MrThunderwing:

--- Quote from: John Bennett on December 07, 2021, 07:39:58 am --- I've got to confess, I don't know what's going on with MAME and inputs. At one stage I had to focus a window to control an instance of the game. Now it controls all instances simultaneously, which is a bit annoying when I just want to mess with one.

--- End quote ---

I can solve that one for you mate, if you turn global inputs on in your MAME.ini (at the very bottom of the text document) file it gives you simultaneous control over all your MAME windows. If you set it to '0' to turn it off, you can only affect the window you've got in focus.

--- Quote ---# INPUT DEVICE OPTIONS
#
global_inputs             1
dual_lightgun             0
--- End quote ---

vandale:
Just set this up on my twin, runs great, thanks for all the hardwork  :notworthy:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version