Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Ridge Racer 2 and Rave Racer link play working in MAME WIP test build.

<< < (4/9) > >>

John Bennett:
Nope, haven't looked at Dirt Dash at all.
I was going to have another look at Ace Driver when I got a moment, although need to clear a few other projects out the way.

Something I just noticed - Ridge Racer 2's manual suggests it only supports pairs of cabinets, whereas I tried 3 and it didn't work, so maybe you need to try 4.

Does anyone know a good way to set the controls/focus to just one instance of MAME? It's really annoying trying to edit one game and changing the settings for four  :angry:

JoeShmo:
I happen to have a physical RR2 (twin version) cabinet that I'm in the process of converting to MAME.  So if you want to know how anything looks/connects physically on this cabinet, let me know.  One thing that's odd is this cabinet is a SINGLE cabinet, yet has two complete games in it; two board sets, two power supplies, etc..  So it's odd that cabinets would have to connect in pairs.  I'll have to take a look at the link connectors, and see if the two are already linked in some way.

--- Quote from: John Bennett on October 18, 2021, 05:54:54 pm ---Does anyone know a good way to set the controls/focus to just one instance of MAME? It's really annoying trying to edit one game and changing the settings for four  :angry:

--- End quote ---

I'm using MultiSeat for this (linux), which allows you to have two players share a single computer but having two of everything connected.  You assign USB, PCI, and Video devices to each "seat".  Each player has their own mame config, but all the roms and such are stored centrally.  Not sure if such a setup would help or hinder you having to change settings for four.  You'd still have to edit four config files, then just tell the other instances to restart (or send them SIGHUP to re-read config if mame supports that)

John Bennett:
Inspired by all the interest  :D (thank you!), I've come back to this.
Ace Driver has proved very difficult, but I've managed to get two copies to link up (ignore the third instance), so maybe another update will come this year.

Hydreigon:

--- Quote from: Boomslang on October 12, 2021, 08:52:15 pm ---
--- Quote from: John Bennett on October 12, 2021, 07:32:49 am ---
--- Quote from: Hydreigon on October 09, 2021, 12:32:04 pm ---Done some extensive testing and JB was correct, only a few games work (can't get other games like Cyber Cycles to link for the lolz). I'm starting to feel sorry because of all the setbacks in emulating this device. I personally consider this a supercharged RS232.

--- End quote ---

It's fair to assume that anything not listed (Drivers eyes, fullscale, RR2, Rave Racer) will NOT work.

It's basically because this device takes up to a 4K block of data and shoves it out over a 1MBit RS232-like interface to another chip, which will write to 4k on that game board.
The chip has various registers that we don't fully understand that are read or written to and each game seems to do something different that I haven't seen before (full scale is maybe the simplest). It also looks like the chip manipulates the data too, just to add to the pain (appending bits onto ends of frames etc). So for every game I have to implement something different -it's almost like I've written 4 different chip drivers so-far!.

I did start to look at Ace Driver and I'll come back to it again at some point.
I'm sure I'll get a better picture once more stuff is working.
What doesn't help is that global comms drops bytes too and I've not worked out a good way to synchonise multiple instances yet (Sega have a 'master' PCB in their linkups, this stuff is just a big loop of identical priority boards). I had some ideas. It'd be great to see more than 2 on a linkup without it falling over.

System2 stuff I couldn't get anywhere with, other than to pass the loopback test in the settings. Made me think it couldn't tolerate any dropped data. I've got a final-lap setup I could fire up one day if I had to.

Anyway, so busy this year I'm not sure if I'll get anything done short-term, but I will at some point

--- End quote ---

Have you looked at Dirt Dash at all?

--- End quote ---
No need to because this game doesn't have multiplayer programmed in. Anything link related isn't mentioned in its test mode.

Boomslang:

--- Quote from: John Bennett on November 02, 2021, 06:47:58 pm ---Inspired by all the interest  :D (thank you!), I've come back to this.
Ace Driver has proved very difficult, but I've managed to get two copies to link up (ignore the third instance), so maybe another update will come this year.

--- End quote ---

Very cool!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version