Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Last choice on CP layout... help wanted  (Read 2162 times)

giantsean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2022, 12:14:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Last choice on CP layout... help wanted
« on: September 20, 2021, 02:12:18 am »
Hi All,

I have been converting an old Global VR cab to MAME and obsessing over the layout way more than I should have.  Happy to say it's more or less decided (to drill is to commit!) except for my pesky P1/P2 buttons.

I had intended to move them to the front of the cab (under the CP) to save space and allow for more buttons, but the Vanguard-style layout solved a lot of problems, and I ended up grabbing a couple of coin-slot-looking rectangular buttons for credits - yet to be mounted.  All this saved a good amount of room which made me wonder if I want to just put P1/P2 back on top.  If playing spinner games like Tempest right handed, my left hand will avoid a P1 button on the top (pls see pics) but maybe not everyone's will - though I did test with my kids and they can play it left handed on the right side of the joystick.

I actually did a search of front-mounted start buttons but the most I came up with was minis.  I have yet to see a full sized cab (esp one this big) w/ front mounted player buttons, at least not since Front Line... but I'm sure there's gotta be something out there.

So if it were yours, what choice would you make?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:50:17 am by giantsean »

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
Re: Final choices on layout.. help!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 02:37:48 am »
Looks uncomfortable and  crowded.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:21:46 am »
Looks uncomfortable and  crowded.

Agreed.  If you drew a line from the 1 to the 2 and cut off the entire top part it would be pretty good (2P; 6 buttons + trackball) but all that stuff up top is going to confuse everyone.

As for the admin buttons, I would keep them all in the same place away from the action but easily accessible and obvious, if possible.

giantsean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2022, 12:14:40 am
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 10:49:34 am »
Thanks and I wonder if the plugs I put in the old holes made it look worse than you think, so I edited them out.  We (me and kids) as primary users spent a lot of time planning out what worked for us, so we're happy with it.  Admin buttons will be hidden or I'll just use shift combos.  Obviously I'm not cutting the panel.

To be clear, the ONLY struggle I still have is whether to put the P1/P2 buttons up top or along the front