Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JPAC Windows 10 support  (Read 4754 times)

SpyisSandvich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2022, 03:44:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JPAC Windows 10 support
« on: September 13, 2021, 09:01:28 pm »
Hello.  I have an old DDR machine that I’m connecting to a computer via a JPAC for inputs only.  I recently swapped out that computer running Windows 7 with a newer one running Windows 10, and I can no longer get any inputs from the JPAC.

I’m seeing the same “This device cannot start (code 10)  An unknown item was found in the report descriptor” behavior as the user in this post from mameworld.com: https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=383264&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1

The JPAC was purchased on January 7, 2015, so I’m unsure whether this is a version 1 or a version 2 board.  It has two PS2 ports on it, and I’m using a PS2-to-USB adapter that, as far as I can remember, came with the JPAC board.  The JPAC was still functional before connecting it to the Windows 10 computer, and according to Ultimarc, there shouldn’t be any additional software since it basically functions as a PS2 keyboard.  This leads me to believe that it’s Windows 10 itself causing issues.

Anyone know what might be going on here?

SpyisSandvich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2022, 03:44:27 pm
Re: JPAC Windows 10 support
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 11:53:10 pm »
https://superuser.com/questions/996001/do-ps2-keyboards-work-on-windows-10

I found some possible fixes here, but no amount of driver installation or registry tweaking made any difference.  There's nothing PS/2-related in the BIOS that I can tweak either.  That said, I'm able to get the left side arrow panels to work in the BIOS as they're mapped to the arrow keys, so more evidence that the JPAC itself works.

Digging into the device info, the Device Manager's Problem Status for the device says "Illegal Instruction An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction. C000001D"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:00:36 am by SpyisSandvich »

kujina

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2021, 12:07:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 12:01:48 pm »
Hi,

If you bought your Jpac from Ultimarc in 2015 it should be USB capable, you can buy a USB to Mini-DIN Cable for pre-2015 boards.

https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/accessories/extra-i-pac-or-j-pac-cables/

JosueLara

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 10:02:06 am
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 10:03:01 am »
Experiment with different USB ports. Sometimes, switching the USB port you're using can make a difference. Windows might recognize the hardware differently in another port.

Mocurcas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 04:42:07 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 04:42:07 pm »
Windows 10 can sometimes be a bit tricky with older hardware. Here are a couple of things to consider: Compatibility mode: Try this - right-click on the JPAC's driver (if you can find it) and go to Properties. In the Compatibility tab, see if running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 or an earlier version that used to work for you helps.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:01:12 am
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 09:03:46 am »
Make sure there are no shorts on your control panel (no buttons pressed) when starting computer, because this will cause the JPAC to not be recognised properly. Try removing all other USB, PS2 or audio devices as a short (or just ground leakage) in any of them can also cause problems.

Use PS2 keyboard jack on MB? I know some PCs don't have them nowadays, but had to ask.

You could try using an "active" PS2 to USB adapter. These work more reliably than the passive thumbdrive sized ones, have helped me with PS2 trackballs. Having said that, I've never actually needed one for a JPAC/IPAC. Here is a link.
Check out my completed projects!