Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Twin on Sega Rally 3 Solved  (Read 5590 times)

Demoon73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2022, 01:26:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Twin on Sega Rally 3 Solved
« on: September 10, 2021, 03:18:49 am »
Hello guys,
 I'm using TeknoParrot for few weeks now... I play principaly Sega rally 3 and it works really well.
I have tried to play Twin on Lan since last week but I can't do it. I have fixed IP of the 2 PC because I read it's better than DHCP and I have set CabinetID to 1 on one of the PC and 2 on the other one in the Shelldata files...
It does not work, at the "boot" of the game, I can see the right IPv4  IP on both computer but they both are "cabinet : 2" even in the "master" PC in which I set Cab1.
May be I did something wrong, can you please help me?

Another little question, each time I launch the game, the high-school panel has forgotten previous best times, is there a way to fix that?

Thank you all 🙂
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:20:47 am by Demoon73 »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Twin on Sega Rally 3
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 11:24:36 am »
Could it be a firewall or anti-virus software blocking the connection?

Demoon73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 01:45:04 pm »
May be... I will try to disable the anti-virus and the firewall...
Thanks

Demoon73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 04:43:06 pm »
Could it be a firewall or anti-virus software blocking the connection?

I disabled both but it did not work..
Do I have to launch first Cab1 or cab 2?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 06:33:03 pm »
Grid and SR3 are both Sega Europa R games, and both network the same way. To enable networking you first have to go in and change the paths at the bottom of the file at c:\*path-to-your-SR3-Dir*\sega\grid\debug\config.xml

Only you'd change "\grid\" to "\rally\" in the path in this case, IIRC? Open the config.xml file in wordpad, don't use a browser. Below is the default, but you need to change the paths to where your game is. And obviously you also need to edit the shelldata.ini file itself as well to enable the network option and give each cab a unique ID, but it sounds like you've already done that bit.

<sega_shell
        shell_path="c:\sega\Shell"
        shell_data_path="c:\sega\ShellData\"
        shell_data_ini_path="c:\sega\ShellData\ShellData.ini"
        shell_game_ini_filename="Game.ini"
        shell_game_settings_ini_path="c:\sega\ShellData\GameSettings.ini"
        shell_shutdown_time_limit="60"
    />

In short, if the paths aren't set, the game won't see your changes to the shelldata.ini file for the network and cab ID's, and any changes to the other files too. If the cabs won't link after that, make sure the rally.exe file is allowed through the firewall for private networks.

Very forgiving games to LAN. Doesn't matter which one you start first, and after setting things up as above you can still boot either one without the other and play single.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:35:43 am by buttersoft »

Demoon73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:12 am »
Grid and SR3 are both Sega Europa R games, and both network the same way. To enable networking you first have to go in and change the paths at the bottom of the file at c:\*path-to-your-SR3-Dir*\sega\grid\debug\config.xml

Only you'd change "\grid\" to "\rally\" in the path in this case, IIRC? Open the config.xml file in wordpad, don't use a browser. Below is the default, but you need to change the paths to where your game is. And obviously you also need to edit the shelldata.ini file itself as well to enable the network option and give each cab a unique ID, but it sounds like you've already done that bit.

<sega_shell
        shell_path="c:\sega\Shell"
        shell_data_path="c:\sega\ShellData\"
        shell_data_ini_path="c:\sega\ShellData\ShellData.ini"
        shell_game_ini_filename="Game.ini"
        shell_game_settings_ini_path="c:\sega\ShellData\GameSettings.ini"
        shell_shutdown_time_limit="60"
    />

In short, if the paths aren't set, the game won't see your changes to the shelldata.ini file for the network and cab ID's, and any changes to the other files too. If the cabs won't link after that, make sure the rally.exe file is allowed through the firewall for private networks.

Very forgiving games to LAN. Doesn't matter which one you start first, and after setting things up as above you can still boot either one without the other and play single.

Thank you for your help, I have just read your message...
I finally successfully in connecting both PC and playing testers at night, I found the problem, it was in the config.ini file in the rally folder, it was set for both PC on "CabinetID=2".
once I set one of the computer in "1" the link was ok and I could make a VS race.
I will try with Grid and use your explanations if I have issues.
Thanks again

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Twin on Sega Rally 3 Solved
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 06:28:37 am »
Glad to hear you got it working. I'll leave the rant in place, in case it helps someone down the line. That one was certainly a mistake i've made before :)

USSDG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2023, 10:23:39 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 11:44:04 pm »
buttersoft, I just wanted to thank you for your instructions to get this working.  I didn't realize I had to edit the config file to remap the path to the necessary ini files since I didn't have the Sega folder on the C drive.  I was ripping my hair out trying to get the two cabinets to identify properly and communicate.  Then I saw your instructions.  It works perfectly now in twin mode, player 1, player 2, linked!  Nicccceee!  BRAVO!  Thank you Thank you!

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 09:05:21 pm »
YW, and welcome to the forum :)

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 04:40:45 am »
Totally under rated game. I prefer this in twin mode compared to both 1 & 2 due to having far more realistic physics.