Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Preserve desktop resolution using switchres?  (Read 2210 times)

snappleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2022, 10:11:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Preserve desktop resolution using switchres?
« on: September 06, 2021, 11:42:30 pm »
I have a 31khz VGA monitor setup I want to add GM to, but I use this setup for other things and want to preserve the 1024x768 desktop resolution. If I generate modes from MAME it'll definitely not include that resolution right? Is there a proper way to make this work smoothly?

I should specify this is a 5450, single monitor setup.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
Re: Preserve desktop resolution using switchres?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 01:56:08 am »
CRT_EMU/GM isn't just for 15khz CRTs and won't prevent you from using 1024x768 for desktop, or for games even, with a VGA monitor.

Use the "arcade_31" monitor preset when installing the driver/setting up video modes. You might need to add 1024x768 in the "user_modes.ini" and any other specific VGA modes you need.
Check out my completed projects!

snappleman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 02:04:43 am »
Yes I used the arcade_31 preset and 120 of the 800,000,001 modelines were installed, none of them were the desktop resolution though. Does adding it in user_modes.ini insure it gets added before auto-generated ones?

snappleman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 02:34:29 am »
The way I ended up getting it working was to install the modelines generated from MAME, export them to a text file, add my desktop resolution to that text file (deleting one of the existing modelines I don't use anyway to make sure it's still only 120), delete all modes from driver, import modes from file, install. Everything works well now!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 02:35:13 am »
Yes I used the arcade_31 preset and 120 of the 800,000,001 modelines were installed, none of them were the desktop resolution though. Does adding it in user_modes.ini insure it gets added before auto-generated ones?

Yes, that's right.

Right at the top of the default "user_modes.ini" file is a spot reserved for desktop modes, though you can add your modes to the file wherever you like. By default it only has 640x480@30 there. Follow the same format and add your VGA mode(s).

Of course, you also need to tick the box "Get video modes from user list".

Using super resolutions will give you less modes, and in this case less is more. 120 is the maximum possible, but then GM will take a longer time to choose modes as it will need to go through the whole list to find the best one.

If using super resolutions then you need to use the "user_modes - super.ini" file instead, but otherwise same thing as above.

I forget all the boxes you need to check/uncheck in VMMaker for super resolutions (I still mostly use XP, no super resolutions), it must be covered elsewhere. I think you need to choose "Mode table method" = dynamic on tabs 3&4, check the box "Export monitor settings to Groovymame" and uncheck the box "Get video modes from MAME XML". Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong.
Check out my completed projects!

snappleman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 02:36:51 am »
Of course, you also need to tick the box "Get video modes from user list".

Sometimes I am baffled by my own stupidity...