Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Failed to create D3D device after GPU update  (Read 5776 times)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Failed to create D3D device after GPU update
« on: September 06, 2021, 09:05:23 pm »
EDIT: solved! So, the problem turned out to be that i was using an older version of Win10. Probably a build from 2016, in fact. (which shat itself when i tried to update it.) On a newer build of Win10 the 360 card worked fine.

I'm getting errors from Windows saying "Failed to create D3D device" after a system upgrade. I simply plugged an existing Windows10 1703 install into the new hardware. With the old GPU (HD 6950) but new modo/cpu, i can simply resintall my modelines for the preexisting driver and get everything running immediately. With the new GPU (an ex-mining R7 360 from AliExp) i can install both the beta 10 (16.2) and beta 15 (18.whatever) GCN drivers, and install modelines. But then whenever i try to start a  game that uses directX9 (which is most of them) i get a "Failed to create D3D device" error and the game shuts down. (GM 0.194 is unaffected, it seems.)

Running software called Performance Test, the DirectX9 test fails completely. The DX10, DX11 and DX12 tests do run, but always pick a super resolution. Which last might be normal, now i think about it. I have reinstalled the directx end user runtimes Jun 2010 pack, but not the SDK.

Google tells me the solution is to update my graphics drivers, which is hardly an option. I'll keep testing, but if anyone knows a solution it would save time :) I was going to try to find a complete uninstaller as a first step, and then go again...

I would really rather not start fresh, as this cab has an awfully complicated setup on it to run TP games at 15Khz, along with GM and other things, and i'm not looking to redo all that. Could it be hardware-related? Can a GPU reject DX9 but not DX10/11/12?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 04:33:15 am by buttersoft »

R-Typer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
Re: Failed to create D3D device after GPU update
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 07:01:36 am »
hi, you need to install DirectX runtime package in order to run directx9 games. they just didnt include dx9 in windows 10.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 08:03:23 pm »
I appreciate the response, thank you. But as stated, i have already reinstalled the directx end user runtimes Jun 2010 pack. It doesn't change anything. I might try uninstalling all the visual C++ packs first, then updating the Directx SDK, then the runtimes, then add visual c++ back again i guess.

I also noted that Windows isn't properly seeing the resolutions i've installed. If i use VMM with the mymodes.ini file to generate modes, i can't then use ArcadeOSD to size and center them because it craps out on later versions. I can't adjust monitor.ini because i'm using too large a spread of modes. Some are 4:3, some are 16:9 but streched out the edges to appear 4:3 in the middle. And installing my saved modelines from the previous GPU means windows won't see any modes apart from 800x600@50i. ArcadeOSD still does, but it's not very functional anymore.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:59:17 pm by buttersoft »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 03:02:08 am »
Ok, so with the process of installing the R7 360, using a driver cleaner or not on the old crt_emudriver beta 10 non-gcn install, and then installing crt_emudriver Beta 15_18.5.1 I get a 1920x1080 desktop on my LCD. I can then launch problem games quite happily. If i then enable EDID emulation i get a 480i desktop as expected, but games will no longer go fullscreen at 640x480 and just crash instead. Disabling EDID emulation fixes the problem instantly.

I'm enabling EDID emulation on the 0-VGA port as enabling it on the others just gives a black screen and no display can get a picture.

Calamity, any ideas?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 03:18:40 am »
After enabling EDID emulation, outputs are renumbered temporarily until you reboot. Make sure this is not the problem.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 06:16:19 am »
Nope, rebooting doesn't work :( I also tried adding all my modelines to the EDID, but the behaviour is the same. I have noticed that when i install the modelines for the first time after re-imaging my drive, or to the EDID, i can see them listed in Win10 display settings. However, once i try to open a game, or even just change modes, they all disappear and i can only see the first mode in the EDID, and whatever mode i happen to be in. Or sometimes the display just reverts to the first mode in the EDID, and the resolution box under win10 display settings  is showing that mode but is greyed out so i cannot change it. Restarting the system does not bring the modelines back, Windows will not see them anymore. Reinstalling them with VMM might bring them back (in the list, at least) but normally not.

Arcade OSD will only switch happily to the first mode in the EDID, which might be 320x240, or might be 640x480 if i haven't added my own modes to it. Trying to swtich to any other mode gives a sort of flashing black screen, like the system is trying to switch modes but cant. Sometimes this begins with a screen the right resolution, but the previous resolution set in the top left corner like a window. Then the screen goes black and sort of flashes or tics a few times, the mouse coming up and then disappearing maybe ten times, then the screen goes black. Hitting esc. brings the display back - sometimes in the mode i was trying to switch to, at first, but repeated attempts just revert to the first mode in the EDID.

(Test test mode watermark is happily in the lower right corner, and the driver says it installs no problems, in case you need to ask.)

I am about to go and flash a physical EDID dongle with the Arcade_15 preset (480i only). I will report back. But i'm happy to test or try anything else you can think of as well :)

EDIT: aaand the EDID dongle behaves exactly the same way as setting the EDID in VMM. Worse, in fact, because hot-plugging it is causing crashes sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 06:56:04 am by buttersoft »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 07:56:37 am »
swapping over to the old GPU (HD 6950) but new mobo/CPU, everything works fine.

My plan now is to use the R7 360 but try a fresh, up-to-date install of windows and see if that fixes things.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 08:01:16 am by buttersoft »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 04:43:12 pm »
@buttersoft, this sounds like things are totally broken for this particular gpu. I'd try setting dotclock_min 10 or even 25, to discard a dotclock issue but I doubt it's that. What outputs does this card have, by the way? Is the analog output dvi-i?

I'd also try GA live cd and see if it works.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 07:40:38 pm »
I'm using the DVI-i output, yep. Which is called the VGA-0 output in VMM, or i think that's what it is. Other outputs are called HDMI-5 and DVI-I-6, i think. But enabling EDID emulation on either of those last two simply gets me an unrecoverable black screen. I have to reimage my drive after doing it.

Hmm, the card itself has three outputs though, DVI-I, HDMI and a displayport out. I wonder why things are showing up as above? BIOS mod? Hardware failure? I shall keep testing, and thank you for the help :)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 06:49:08 am by buttersoft »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 01:43:11 am »
So i flashed the original BIOS back to the card (or anyway the one it came with) and it didn't help. I don't suppose anyone has a Sapphire R7 360 2G they'd came to dump the BIOS from for me (with or without the Atom15 15kHz mod)? The card looks like the one below.

I've used google, but cannot find another BIOS image that will suit this card.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:42:43 am by buttersoft »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 01:33:13 pm »
I'm not sure if I understand. Did you flash the card with ATOM-15? Don't you have the original bios?
Steps to create a log:

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 07:22:15 pm »
Yes i did flash it, and yes i still have the original BIOS. Using either of those the problem persists. I wanted to try a different BIOS. I haven't yet tried the set minimum dot clocks, but as you noted it probably isn't that. The most resolutions aren't... happy, let's call it, but i can get them to work on the desktop with a bit of trying. Gaming just crashes out right away. Hmm, thinking about that, i should definitely give that a go, however.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 01:33:36 pm »
Hi buttersoft,

After a bit of research I have a theory about what can be going on with your video card. There's not much information about the Tobago gpu out there, e.g.:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-tobago.g777

In there, it would look like it's related to Bonaire. However, you can't know how accurate this information is. On the other hand, if you look here:

https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

... you can't find the Tobago gpu, but there's one named Trinity that sounds familiar to Tobago... and you have this:

ARUBA (Trinity/Richland)
VGA and LVDS are implemented via DP bridge chips

Now definitely, that list isn't complete, but that note about a DP bridge makes all your reports make sense at once:

- EDID emulation isn't possible on DP outputs
- DP outputs have a low dotclock limitation on Windows drivers.

So, with that in mind, you could still make use of that card, as long as set a dotclock_min that's high enough and provided 640x480i works. Basically, you're forced to used super resolutions.

If that doesn't work, there are chances that your card will work fine on GA Linux.
Steps to create a log:

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 06:11:37 am »
Ahh, thank you very much for digging up the info! Hmmm, so EDID emulation does appear to work. At least, the desktop comes up fine at 480i. Would you say that was because the desktop is not using the GPU, and then when any fullscreen app tries to use it (say M2emu running daytona) it switches to the GPU and crashes out?

That's no good :( This cab is one half of my driving setup, so it runs all sorts of stuff including Teknoparrot which is only going to work on windows. I use super resolutions for some mame stuff, but the GPU needs to do 480i/576i/600i. The pair of R7 360's i ordered were meant to be a slightly future-proof upgrade, only one 6-pin power connector, but i'll have to look at something else. Atom 15 works fine on it too. I might look at selling them on.

Out of interest, do you think ALL r7 360 cards are going to have this problem? How about the 260's? Those are listed as Bonaire as well :/

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:57:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 10:15:25 am »
Hi @buttersoft,
I have R7 360 and works fine with W7x64 in all resolutions, including Teknoparrot.

Model XFX Radeon R7 360 Compact

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 07:35:45 pm »
Hi @buttersoft,
I have R7 360 and works fine with W7x64 in all resolutions, including Teknoparrot.

Model XFX Radeon R7 360 Compact

Thanks for the info! Do you have it modded with Atom-15 as well?

psakhis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 02:25:14 am »
Thanks for the info! Do you have it modded with Atom-15 as well?

Yes!

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 04:32:27 am »
So, the problem turned out to be that i was using an older version of Win10. Probably a build from 2016, in fact. (which shat itself when i tried to update it.) On a newer build of Win10 the 360 card worked fine.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2021, 01:08:37 pm »
So, the problem turned out to be that i was using an older version of Win10. Probably a build from 2016, in fact. (which shat itself when i tried to update it.) On a newer build of Win10 the 360 card worked fine.

That's great to know! It makes total sence since the drivers are *newer* (2018)
Steps to create a log:

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 08:55:18 pm »
Now i just need to figure out how to update that old build of windows without it suiciding every time...

psakhis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2021, 11:53:30 am »
Now i just need to figure out how to update that old build of windows without it suiciding every time...
Win7x64 every day for me :P