Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Singularity - Modern Sit Down Modular Twin Stick Shooter Cabinet  (Read 32020 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Singularity - Modern Sit Down Modular Twin Stick Shooter Cabinet
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2021, 05:03:02 am »
Your work is impressive by any measure, never mind for not having a dedicated space.

:notworthy:

Great view out the back door (I assume it's the back door?!)

I do sometimes get nostalgic for the good ole temperate deciduous forest (especially in the fall) but the waves sure are way better where I am now.

How many coats/rounds of sanding before you reach your particular standard level of amazing finish anyway?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2021, 09:00:30 am »
You do some high quality craftsmanship sir.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2021, 11:41:36 am »
The fact that you sand off almost all of the first coat of color confirms that I'm doing it wrong.  The level of patience you must have is crazy high.  Keep it going!  :cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2021, 02:51:43 pm »
SpaceHedgehog understands surface preparation.  It's a bit like riding a bike, once you learn it, the process feels natural. MDF goes well with filler, goes well with primer, goes well with paint.  It feels a bit like magic when the coarse edge of raw MDF becomes sharp and clean after surface prep.  If you use solvent based primer to seal MDF you can wet sand it after a few coats, water absorption is no longer a problem then. Well prepared MDF looks and feels nothing like MDF.  It feels like dull hard plastic, after that paint it with whatever you like.

I'm enjoying the progress here, particularly as I can't work on my own stuff at the moment.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 02:55:54 pm by Ond »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2021, 10:32:54 pm »
SpaceHedgehog understands surface preparation.  It's a bit like riding a bike, once you learn it, the process feels natural. MDF goes well with filler, goes well with primer, goes well with paint.  It feels a bit like magic when the coarse edge of raw MDF becomes sharp and clean after surface prep.  If you use solvent based primer to seal MDF you can wet sand it after a few coats, water absorption is no longer a problem then. Well prepared MDF looks and feels nothing like MDF.  It feels like dull hard plastic, after that paint it with whatever you like.

I'm enjoying the progress here, particularly as I can't work on my own stuff at the moment.  :cheers:

I hope everyone else here reading appreciates the tip on solvent based primer as much as I do.

That is actually a critical element to acheive such an amazing result.

And of course that will be my path in the future now that I know!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2021, 06:29:00 am »
Groovy baby!

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2021, 06:53:57 am »
Your work is impressive by any measure, never mind for not having a dedicated space.

:notworthy:

Great view out the back door (I assume it's the back door?!)

I do sometimes get nostalgic for the good ole temperate deciduous forest (especially in the fall) but the waves sure are way better where I am now.

How many coats/rounds of sanding before you reach your particular standard level of amazing finish anyway?

Thank you bobbyb13. The view is the main reason we moved here - beats the London suburbs that for sure!

I reckon another 3 rounds before it's finished - but, it'll be finished when it's finished!!

You do some high quality craftsmanship sir.

Appreciate the comment. Thank you Arroyo

The fact that you sand off almost all of the first coat of color confirms that I'm doing it wrong.  The level of patience you must have is crazy high.  Keep it going!  :cheers:

I think the key thing is to have no concrete expectations as to when it's going to be complete. Can't be said for builds which are on a time limit like yours though!

Cheers for that Ond and you're absolutely right about the 'plastic' feel. Spot on.

I hope everyone else here reading appreciates the tip on solvent based primer as much as I do.

That is actually a critical element to acheive such an amazing result.

And of course that will be my path in the future now that I know!

Good preparation is always the key!

Groovy baby!

Thank you sir!

Click a pic for a video tour 

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2021, 02:17:47 pm »
Just one more coat needed ... hopefully.

Happy with the speaker grill too.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2021, 04:32:39 pm »
Looks great - do you sand the final coat or just hope it goes on smooth because of everything you did leading up to it?  Seems like you might actually get a good result going up to 2000 grit on the last coat or something like that.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2021, 09:23:51 am »
Cheers javeryh :cheers: The finish isn't really good enough to benefit from 2000 grit unfortunately. I'm not completely happy with the final result and may have a go at spraying it next summer.

Anyway, this section is done for now. It's still drying off so I won't be moving it for another 24 hours or so.

I hope the weather clears up - we've had some really strong winds which means I can't make any progress on the CP at the moment unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:32:31 am by SpaceHedgehog »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2021, 09:47:23 am »
It looks amazing.  Perfectly smooth finish and you kept the corners very sharp!

I see you have an open concept house - do the sound reflection/absorption panels help with watching TV?  My first floor is also open but if someone is having a conversation in the kitchen I can't hear the TV.  I'm not sure how to solve this issue.  I don't have a receiver or speakers though so I rely on the TV speakers, which suck.  Maybe getting some proper audio would go a long way?

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2021, 12:26:30 pm »
The panels do help with reducing reflections and echo - one of the main reasons I made them. You will need a few to make any difference though. They're pretty easy to make and with the right material, can add some nice slabs of colour to a room. Fortunately my wife really likes them!

A reasonable sound system would help for sure imho.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2021, 06:13:17 am »
Well I managed to drop / scratch the marquee acrylic (on both sides)  :banghead: I did mistakenly order 3 pieces so all good.

I've been itching to see what this looks like so balanced the marquee on top of the mid section - it has some pads placed temporarily underneath the unpainted piece so it's higher than it should be. Pleased with how this is turning out ....

I want to get the filling and painting on the spacer started today - weather permitting ...

Edit: ... errrr ... nope

:cry:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:49:00 am by SpaceHedgehog »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2021, 03:22:58 pm »
Looks impressive so far.  :cheers:

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2021, 09:38:00 am »
Looks impressive so far.  :cheers:

Appreciate that emphatic - thank you  :cheers:

Well the weather is still poor although it should pick up tomorrow. I managed to get the filling done in the garage which is now waiting for sanding down. I also managed to get the acrylic cut (I had also made a template which was needed as I screwed up the first piece).

It's a very irregular layout for sure but I found that it works pretty well for Steam twin-stick shooters.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2021, 10:04:16 pm »
I was intrigued anyway but now the acrylic has me really antsy to see the finished product.

Hope your weather improves!

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2021, 06:29:57 am »
I was intrigued anyway but now the acrylic has me really antsy to see the finished product.

Hope your weather improves!

Cheers bobbyb13  :cheers:

The weather isn't too great at the moment but at least there are some dry spells - even if it's grey out there.

I've managed to drill the holes in the CP and check that everything lines up. I need to trim a couple of mm off the side panels and then I can glue and screw them into place before sanding it down and filling it.

Dry assembled:

Back:

You can see the chamfered sections to act as guides to make slotting this in as easy as possible. The middle chamfered piece has a threaded insert to allow the panel to be attached to the base section.

I've left about 1mm around the perimeter of the acrylic to allow for the layers of paint.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:56:49 am by SpaceHedgehog »

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2021, 09:51:19 am »
Side pieces trimmed and everything has been glued and screwed into place.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2021, 12:08:22 pm »
Thought I'd just have a sneak peek at what it'll look like.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2021, 12:38:43 pm »
Really looking great.  When it is finished it is going to look like it came out of a factory.   :cheers:

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2021, 02:48:04 pm »
Cheers javeryh  :cheers:

Hopefully I can get this done by Xmas / new Year. Already thinking about another project!

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2021, 06:13:24 am »
Well I've gone and stuffed up a little on the control panel. I didn't take into account my prototype wasn't made from 18mm plywood so there's not enough clearance to fit the sticks - schoolboy error. With it all glued and screwed together, I can't route anything out from underneath to compensate so I'm going to have to make as neat a hack as I can mounting it to the top. I'll likely have to make some sort of plate to allow it to be screwed or bolted into place as these will stand proud from the mounting plate. What's more, there's a design flaw in the u360FS's where the axes aren't lined up completely which means the plate will need to be rotated anticlockwise by a few degrees.

Also, I realised that I cracked the paintwork on the mid section when screwing the monitor mount into place - I was doing that from the sides and it exerted too much pressure and caused it to flex. They're now fixed to the sides and I can screw the single retaining piece separately. That's no biggy and I've already sanded it back and put a first coat of paint on. It'll need 2 or 3 coats for the crack to disappear.

I also managed to scratch my monitor when taking it out - very small and not really noticeable tbh.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

At least the sun is shining today.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 06:22:10 am by SpaceHedgehog »

zeorangr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:48:10 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165836.0.html
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2021, 05:51:29 pm »
I definitely can commiserate with the frustration.  I've got mine built to the point that I can see all the rough edges and all the things that I'd want to do differently.
I've busted one 50" tv already, broken mounts, completely re-worked the control pedestal because it was wobbly (because one of the casters was slightly off-level) enough that it wasn't stable for pinball, badly cracked the wood on the underside of my control panel because I wasn't paying attention, and that's just in the last couple of months.  We won't talk about how bad things were when I first started   ;D.   

I work in IT, and I've been dabbling with emulation since the late 90's (Nesticle on my pentium 166 laptop when I was in high school!) so the 'computer' side of all this is the easy part for me.  I had virtually zero woodworking experience going into this thing, and that's the part that has been the most challenging for me... but also the most rewarding.  I made a lot of mistakes.  I'm STILL making lots of mistakes.  I've learned something every time though, and I'm getting better at this - I can actually see the difference in the work I do now versus the work I was doing at the beginning.

This will pass.  You'll work through it.  Your design is sound, and what you've done so far looks great.  You're on track to have an amazing cabinet - just keep at it!
-z-

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2021, 08:27:44 pm »
If there is a Woodcraft store near you, sign up for classes. They are really useful.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2021, 03:13:18 am »
I definitely can commiserate with the frustration.  I've got mine built to the point that I can see all the rough edges and all the things that I'd want to do differently.
I've busted one 50" tv already, broken mounts, completely re-worked the control pedestal because it was wobbly (because one of the casters was slightly off-level) enough that it wasn't stable for pinball, badly cracked the wood on the underside of my control panel because I wasn't paying attention, and that's just in the last couple of months.  We won't talk about how bad things were when I first started   ;D.   

I work in IT, and I've been dabbling with emulation since the late 90's (Nesticle on my pentium 166 laptop when I was in high school!) so the 'computer' side of all this is the easy part for me.  I had virtually zero woodworking experience going into this thing, and that's the part that has been the most challenging for me... but also the most rewarding.  I made a lot of mistakes.  I'm STILL making lots of mistakes.  I've learned something every time though, and I'm getting better at this - I can actually see the difference in the work I do now versus the work I was doing at the beginning.

This will pass.  You'll work through it.  Your design is sound, and what you've done so far looks great.  You're on track to have an amazing cabinet - just keep at it!

Thanks very much for the pep up zeorangr, applreciated :cheers:

Yes, it'll be water under the bridge in no time. I've done the modifications to the control panel so that's in a good state to start finishing. I'm glad I checked the fit before I started painting. The challenging thing about the CP design is that it's made up of 18 pieces of wood and once it's all glued together, there's no going back!

The mid section has had its second coat on and will need one final coat.

If there is a Woodcraft store near you, sign up for classes. They are really useful.

Thanks Mike A. I'm assuming Woodcraft is a US store? I'm in the Uk and not sure they have outlets over here. I do plan on taking some classes once I retire  :cheers:

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2021, 10:11:52 am »
Control panel filled, sanded and primed, There'll be a bit more to do to get some of the angles consistent across the front, angled pieces.

I'll need to sand back the 'furry' bits of MDF once it's dry.

Like the other cabinet sections, the intention is to make this look like its been carved out of a single piece of wood.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 10:26:24 am by SpaceHedgehog »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2021, 10:47:54 am »
Looks great.  I'm sure you will work though the "mistakes" and no one but you will be able to tell.  I make dumb decisions or forget to take something into consideration while measuring all the time and it usually works out just fine.  That's part of the fun, right?  OK maybe not.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2021, 08:43:42 am »
Looks great.  I'm sure you will work though the "mistakes" and no one but you will be able to tell.  I make dumb decisions or forget to take something into consideration while measuring all the time and it usually works out just fine.  That's part of the fun, right?  OK maybe not.

Thanks javeryh for being a constant source of encouragement  :cheers:

You're right in terms of things working out in the end - there's always the opportunity to learn what works and what doesn't. The second CP will be handled differently in terms of assembling and finishing.

I'm pretty much done with the main sanding and filling and have got the second coat of black on after some vigorous sanding back. As usual, it's still drying when the picture was taken.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 08:47:42 am by SpaceHedgehog »

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2021, 02:19:09 pm »
Well, the paint on the CP just wouldn't dry. Currently removing it so I can start again.

Warts and all ...

It'll be fine.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 02:25:21 pm by SpaceHedgehog »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2021, 03:06:20 pm »
Why wouldn't it dry?

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2021, 03:23:31 pm »
I think it was one or more of it being applied too thick, it being too humid or not mixed sufficiently.

It's pretty much in a state where I can apply a thin coat on soon. Hope to do that later this evening.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2021, 05:16:53 am »
Well this light coat of paint isn't drying properly and is very patchy. I noticed that this tin has 'New Formula' on it so I suspect that's the difference.

I have bought some Rustins 'Driers' (which is supposed to make a significant difference to paint drying capabilities) to add to the paint to see if that helps - I'll be testing it out on a piece of scrap when it gets delivered this week.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2021, 09:45:01 am »
Just take a sledge hammer to the control panel start over and do it the way you want it.  You won't ever like it not being right and its not that much extra work.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2021, 12:55:00 pm »
Just take a sledge hammer to the control panel start over and do it the way you want it.  You won't ever like it not being right and its not that much extra work.

Trust me, the thought has crossed my mind! I'm going to persevere and strip this back (again). There has to be something wrong with this paint as it seems to be worse than last time. I've ordered another can from a different vendor so will see how that turns out.

It's frustrating that this is taking so long to sort out.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2021, 03:52:26 pm »
Just keep going - I was ready to quit over the paint job as well and it eventually worked out.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2021, 09:13:36 am »
Cheers javeryh - I've never been close to quitting tbh but 'sanding' back paint which won't dry is a royal pain in the butt!

Anyway. I've spent quite a few hours removing the last coat and have primed it again. I did buy a new can of paint and tested it out to see if it dried properly. It did, so I can only assume that there was a problem with the previous tin.

Hopefully normal service can now be resumed and I can start making some progress again.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2021, 10:04:58 am »
Still need a couple of coats and some minor finishing on the CP but here's the current state of affairs.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 10:15:41 am by SpaceHedgehog »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2021, 10:15:58 am »
Looking really nice.  The more I stare at it the more I can't believe that eventually the bottom section will match the top with all the screw holes and edges that are currently showing.  I mean, the bottom looks like something I could build but the top most definitely does not!  :cheers:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2021, 10:23:06 am »
I can't get over how much this looks like a computer rendering.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2021, 11:32:58 am »

Looking really nice.  The more I stare at it the more I can't believe that eventually the bottom section will match the top with all the screw holes and edges that are currently showing.  I mean, the bottom looks like something I could build but the top most definitely does not!  :cheers:

Thanks for that but I think you do yourself a disservice!

I can't get over how much this looks like a computer rendering.

I think it's the matte black finish on the cab and the fact that the screen is switched off which is doing that.