Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Multi Console Cabinet  (Read 3492 times)

Danhanado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 09:44:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Multi Console Cabinet
« on: September 02, 2021, 11:43:38 pm »
I'm wanting to build a cabinet that has a PC, a PS3 and a Dreamcast inside it.

What are some solutions to switching between the 3 in both video, audio and USB control inputs without having to swap cables or press buttons inside the cabinet?

Sent from my AC2001 using Tapatalk

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Multi Console Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 12:26:16 am »
Before you do anything else, pick the games you want to play on each and decide what you need for controls.

Every good cabinet ever built was centered around the screen type and orientation and the control panel layout.

If you haven't already, spend some time reading the wiki !

It will help immensely and is a lot of fun reading to boot.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 12:30:53 am »
Dreamcast is emulated, just play it on the PC

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 12:44:15 am »
If you haven't already, spend some time reading the wiki !
Yes, the What type of build meets my needs? section of the FAQ is a great place to start.   ;D

Scott

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 06:28:36 pm »

What are some solutions to switching between the 3 in both video, audio and USB control inputs without having to swap cables or press buttons inside the cabinet?

As I have over 200 PS3, 310 Xbox 360, 100 OG Xbox, 59 Dreamcast 70 PSX, 29 PSX2, 48 GC and Wii games, and a healthy PC Steam list that are all purchased, I tend to keep real hardware connected for use in my cabinets.  No emulation.

Usually I pickup a good HDMI VGA CVBS USB RF Audio LCD Controller Board for a 1up machine and use the remote to swap between inputs.  In one cabinet I have a Dreamcast unit with VGA adapter, OGXBOX on the CVBS, PS3 (Big Buck Hunter) on HDMI and the PC on HDMI switch box.  I bought a Xarcade board for $4.99 from xgaming that works great with all the consoles and PC, with a serial switch box for the adapters. I also have a duplicate setup in the media suite in the living room.

Yes you can use emulators, but that usually requires pirated software as you cannot read GDI discs on a PC or BR discs etc.  Just keep the back off the cabinet for easy access and cooling.  I am changing the front panel on the 1Up into a door with shelves for each console for ease of use.  You don't need a 1up and just install a VIZIO TV for the inputs, which you might get component and save some money on any repurposed arcade machine.

You can do this with some time and proper investment in true BYOAC fashion.  The only draw back is to individually power the consoles or it messes with controls, even with the switch box. I use smart plugs with Alexa.

I believe keeping original hardware as long as you can, with the original game discs, is far better than emulation and completely legal.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:34:48 pm by Vocalitus »

Danhanado

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 09:58:20 pm »
Thanks this is the type of answer I was looking for.
Do you have a specific recommendation for a controller board that swaps 2 USBs inputs and audio/video input for 3 devices (2x HDMI, 1x VGA with Aux audio)?

Danhanado

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 10:16:20 pm »
I guess it would also have to have 6 USB outputs if I'm understanding this correctly

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 10:38:21 pm »
Thanks this is the type of answer I was looking for.
Do you have a specific recommendation for a controller board that swaps 2 USBs inputs and audio/video input for 3 devices (2x HDMI, 1x VGA with Aux audio)?

That is a completely open question.  The Video controller board is dependent on the display you are using like 1up cabinet.

The encoder board is $40 from xgaming which is expensive with $40 for DC and $40 for PS3.  It has both analog and digital controls.

I looked at the Brook Retro Board and it looks far cheaper and covers more consoles and no switchboxes.  I never used it before so I hope our members can chime in and advise.

Please advise if you are using 1up or a generic cab.

Danhanado

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 10:45:37 pm »
Oh so is there not a way to have everything switch between consoles with one button press?

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 11:11:11 pm »
Oh so is there not a way to have everything switch between consoles with one button press?

Well not really as you have to set up which console you are using, insert media, select input and power on.

The Brook Retro board looked cool but you would need a RJ45 switch box, but far cheaper overall.

The xarcade setup works for me, but I cannot see why you would want a single button solution.  It doesn't exist unless you emulate.  :) 

Danhanado

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 01:20:08 am »

Well not really as you have to set up which console you are using, insert media, select input and power on.

The Brook Retro board looked cool but you would need a RJ45 switch box, but far cheaper overall.

The xarcade setup works for me, but I cannot see why you would want a single button solution.  It doesn't exist unless you emulate.  :)
How do you solve the switching arcade inputs between consoles?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 07:45:32 am »
Please save yourself a lot of heartache and read the wiki...
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 02:43:03 pm »

How do you solve the switching arcade inputs between consoles?

Via a switch box.  Brooks needs a network RJ45 and the X arcade uses DB9 (serial version)

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2021, 02:46:46 pm »
Please save yourself a lot of heartache and read the wiki...

Yeah hmmm heartache.  Save yourself some grief as the wiki is offline.   :o

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 04:02:59 pm »
the wiki is offline.
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/

The wiki is partly broken (you can't upload files) and it's on the wrong domain, but it isn't offline -- you're probably using an outdated link.

Many of the link URLs are broken because when Saint moved the site to new servers, he loaded the new wiki that was on the "newwiki.arcadecontrols.com" domain on the "wiki.arcadecontrols.com" (old wiki) domain.

If a link 404's, just delete "new" from the URL. i.e. Change "newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ" to "wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ"

Scott

Danhanado

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 04:03:50 pm »
the wiki is offline.

The wiki is partly broken (you can't upload files) and it's on the wrong domain, but it isn't offline -- you're probably using an outdated link.

Many of the link URLs are broken because when Saint moved the site to new servers, he loaded the new wiki that was on the "newwiki.arcadecontrols.com" domain on the "wiki.arcadecontrols.com" (old wiki) domain.

If a link 404's, just delete "new" from the URL. i.e. Change "newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ" to "wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ"

Scott
Ah, that's why I'd never looked at the wiki cos the first time I tried I got a 404

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2021, 02:07:01 am »
the wiki is offline.

Scott

Ask our dear overlord to give you access to fix it.

Or his worship can go into cpanel and delete and add the new subdomain himself.

Tell him it will help with his blood pressure.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 02:14:27 am by Vocalitus »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2021, 02:27:56 am »
I love the smell of troll in the morning...

Hopefully the OP can see the wisdom in heeding advice from people who have contributed to this community (and in a positive capacity at that) for longer than a year and a half.

And disparaging words for those who make this venue great (or even possible for that matter- including its progenitor...)

Folly.

How do I put this guy on my ignore list again...?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2021, 03:27:42 am »
Pretty sure Saint's too smart to do something that foolish, and even if he did I'm smart enough to not even try.   :P

To quote the great philosopher Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know hs limitations." 

Scott

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 04:37:27 am »

Hopefully the OP can see the wisdom in heeding advice from people who have contributed to this community (and in a positive capacity at that) for longer than a year and a half.

And disparaging words for those who make this venue great (or even possible for that matter- including its progenitor...)

Folly.

I have been here since week 10.

You must have me on a RSS feed.  I have done nothing but help the OP.  So quit trolling me and do something productive with your day please.  Thank you.

Pretty sure Saint's too smart to do something that foolish, and even if he did I'm smart enough to not even try.   :P

To quote the great philosopher Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know hs limitations." 

Scott

What's foolish about giving a mod root?  Are seriously telling me that you cannot edit a link?

Anyway the ops DC mod is preventing his Brooks device from being detected.  If I remember correctly the DC controller port has some security on the VMU side of things see this link. I wonder if this mod can be disconnected to enable the board to work?  Also please can you advise on a hack to stop voltage surges when swapping between consoles and the encoder.  I think you had to add a resistor on the active voltage line on the console controller port.  Its been awhile.  I cannot remember. I added a KADE to the x arcade wiring harness and something is locking it up and its not a grounding issue.

Danhanado

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 04:55:00 am »

Folly.

I have been here since week 10.

You must have me on a RSS feed.  I have done nothing but help the OP.  So quit trolling me and do something productive with your day please.  Thank you.

Pretty sure Saint's too smart to do something that foolish, and even if he did I'm smart enough to not even try.   

Scott

What's foolish about giving a mod root?  Are seriously telling me that you cannot edit a link?

Anyway the ops DC mod is preventing his Brooks device from being detected.  If I remember correctly the DC controller port has some security on the VMU side of things see this link. I wonder if this mod can be disconnected to enable the board to work?  Also please can you advise on a hack to stop voltage surges when swapping between consoles and the encoder.  I think you had to add a resistor on the active voltage line on the console controller port.  Its been awhile.  I cannot remember. I added a KADE to the x arcade wiring harness and something is locking it up and its not a grounding issue.
Not sure what's going on in this thread now, but when I said modded I just meant I put a GDEmu in there. I doubt that would affect the brook adapter

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2021, 06:17:25 am »
Are seriously telling me that you cannot edit a link?
There's a lot more needed to fix the wiki than just editing a link or two.   ::)

Scott

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2021, 12:52:35 pm »
Are seriously telling me that you cannot edit a link?
There's a lot more needed to fix the wiki than just editing a link or two.   ::)

Scott

Well it would be a good start as nobody has done anything for two years.  We have members rightly suggesting to visit the wiki and all they get is an error.  Time to contact our forum game master and beg an audience to fix this simple problem.  Does it take forever to get anything done around here?  Its like a five minute fix.  ::)

Maybe we should just dump the wiki as it is in a really sad way, repackage it as its own entity and get the members to fund and maintain it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:07:03 pm by Vocalitus »

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2021, 01:03:29 pm »
Not sure what's going on in this thread now, but when I said modded I just meant I put a GDEmu in there. I doubt that would affect the brook adapter

Sometimes we have restless Indians in our midst.

Email Brooks and in 2 months they will reply with same answer.  Modded consoles do not  work with the boards.  As per my question to PL1 perhaps the issue stems from some sort of protection your mod has to bypass.  How about getting another DC and try that?

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2021, 02:53:35 pm »

Cramming all that gear into a cabinet and then trying to switch between it all sounds like a bad idea.

Vocalitus, I'm intrigued by your suggestions, can you share a few links to some of your projects (I might have missed them).  BTW, disrespect for saint - is not cool.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2021, 07:30:00 pm »

Cramming all that gear into a cabinet and then trying to switch between it all sounds like a bad idea.

Vocalitus, I'm intrigued by your suggestions, can you share a few links to some of your projects (I might have missed them).  BTW, disrespect for saint - is not cool.

I'm not disrespectful quite the opposite.  He has the keys to make the change.

I guess I can document my latest build.  Its just I have so little time lately.  We have been dealing with several of our family in Louisiana that are missing or presumed dead due to Ida which has left us numb to say the least.    There is little left of anything.

I'm sure I will get back in the saddle once the upset has past.  Not sure when that will be, but I will put a note on the refrigerator for you.  Is that OK?