Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Adding coin door to home version of arcade cabinet  (Read 734 times)

sandman42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2021, 08:01:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Adding coin door to home version of arcade cabinet
« on: September 02, 2021, 05:01:31 pm »
I recently got a Class of 81 (ms pacman/galaga) cabaret arcade cabinet that was sold in commercial and home versions.  This version is a home version and has a picture of a upper/lower coin door on the front panel instead of a physical coin door.  In order give it a more authentic feel I wanted to add a real working coin door to it.  I was able to get a used coin door unit with mechs on ebay.

Unfortunately, without a manual for the original unit, I'll admit I am completely lost on how to wire this.
Any guidance on how to wire this.
Questions:
(1) Online seems to suggest you daisy chain the connections on the coin door from switch to lamp to switch to lamp (its 2 player format).  Is this correct?  Is there a specific order?
(2) The jamma pin diagrams show spots 8 and 16 for coin, I assume 8 is for power to the lamp and 16 is to receive the coin signal from the counter at the bottom.
(3) The coin door has all of the wires put into a connector, is it safe to assume I will need to remove the wires and connect directly as my unit doesnt seem to have an easy connect for the coin door.

As you can see I am struggling with this as I cant seem to find any walkthrough or video on the topic.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

NuclearWarren

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:57:30 pm
Re: Adding coin door to home version of arcade cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 11:42:55 pm »
Sandman

1) The daisy chain is all your grounds. On the existing coin door harness, it looks like all the black wires. It looks like they all go to the same pin in the connector. These can go to GND on your jamma.
2) 8 should be for coin mech 1, 16 for coin mech 2. You can test with a jumper wire: 8 to GND should coin up.
3) You can clip the connector from that harness and add molex pins to fit your bus.

ws

sandman42

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2021, 08:01:09 am
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 07:38:59 pm »
Thanks!
How do you wire the power to the lamps for the coin slots?

NuclearWarren

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:57:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 01:43:26 pm »
Yeah that! From the jamma pinout diagram, you can find +5V DC (on either side of the bus, where the red wires are.) Pins 3 and 4, C and D. The black wires are ground, Pins 1 and 2, A and B.

Pins 8 (and J) are coin counters. You want your mech switches wired to pins 16 (coin 1) and T (coin 2).

I can't quite see the wires in that harness, it looks like some are disconnected. Can you account for all the wires and connections? Black should be ground: there should be a black connection for each mech switch and bulb, they should be in series.

Orange or red wires should go to the lamps, they may be in series. Striped wires should be the mech switches. There might be an extra green wire that grounds the door. You'll need to re-do the spade connectors...

ws

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 02:18:35 pm »
The JAMMA edge connector in your machine may or may not have the terminals you need in the connector itself. Judging by the picture you posted, it does not appear to have the terminals installed in the connector. So you would need to purchase the correct crimp or solder tail terminals for the brand of connector in the machine.

As to the coin door lights, most JAMMA cabinets get the coin door lamps power directly from the power supply. Depending on the bulbs chosen, you use either the +5 volt or +12 volt and DC ground terminals at the power supply. I prefer to use the +5 volts for coin door lamps. That way if a short circuit develops, such as a wire pinched at the hinge or caught when you close the door, the power supply will simply shut down (safety feature) until the short is cleared without any damage to the power supply. If you used the +12 volts and a short circuit happened, you'd blow out the diodes in the power supply then the fuse in the power supply would blow.