Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I-pac Gen 1 not working on Windows 10  (Read 2683 times)

ekinskofer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2021, 02:55:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I-pac Gen 1 not working on Windows 10
« on: September 01, 2021, 03:27:36 am »
Hey guys,

Does any one know if an I-Pac 2 Gen 1 will work with Windows 10 using a ps/2 to Usb Male adapter? If so, please point me in the right direction. The PS/2 adapter on my mobo doesn't seem to be working and the I-Pac is not being picked up by the device manager with the ps/2 to usb adapter. This was working a few years back with an older now dead PC, but I've decided to dust off the cabinet and finally get this thing running with a new PC and Groovymame. Also hoping to use my gen 1 Opti-pac as well if that can be still used.

Details:

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&6f1b3ab&0&4 was configured.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.488
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Outranked Drivers: usb.inf:USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_8087&PID_0024\5&365d106a&0&1

I-Pac is showing a solid green light on the board, which I believe means the board is still wired correctly.

I don't believe the legacy software will run on Win10. https://www.ultimarc.com/legacy-winipac-documentation. Do I need a more updated card(s)?

thanks,
Eric

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
Re: I-pac Gen 1 not working on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 08:41:43 pm »
Those older PS2 IPACs, when used via a passive USB adapter, were always difficult to get recognised in Windows, even with XP. Often it took lots of unplugging/replugging and/or rebooting the PC until it finally got recognised properly.

You'll likely have better results with an *active* PS2-USB adapter like this one (there are many others, this is just the first link I found).
https://www.amazon.ca/LEIHONG-Adapter-Keyboard-Scanner-Converter/dp/B089F2BZKV

With these active adapters, you should use the right PS2 plug for either keyboard or mouse. I think the purple one is for keyboard, green for mouse, but I can never remember.
Check out my completed projects!

ekinskofer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 04:10:56 pm »
Contacted Andy, who wrote back this:

There is more info about this on our old site www.ultimarc2.com/ipacusb.html

Older boards had a jumper which needed to be changed from PS/2 to USB.

I then followed up with him and my board was slightly newer, not requiring the jumper. It appears that I have the problem with the adapter not having the correct pinout and 2,3 on the USB are reversed. I have some old USB female to PS/2 male connectors.. going to check the pinouts on those and maybe get a USB to USB cable.

ekinskofer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 11:03:18 am »
Hi guys,

I got a 6ft USB male to USB male and plugged it into a usb female to ps2 adapter. Checked all the pin outs and they read fine to Andy’s document. I’m still getting the “USB device not recognized”. I’m wondering if this board is shot or if win 10 just doesn’t recognize this. Time for an upgrade? Or should I keep debugging this? My controls is 2 player with a trackball. What do I need to get? Looking to maybe add some led action as well. Thoughts?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 02:55:17 pm »
Try one of those active adapters I linked to above.
Check out my completed projects!

ekinskofer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 02:55:48 pm »
Hey guys, tried multiple adapters and screwing around with this thing for days. Going to go for a new card I think. Will a new standard ipac 2 work for my setup?

2 x player happ optacle Rotary's? Wanting to swap these out for sanwa or ultimarc servo perhaps.. I hate how they feel and the throw is massive. still researching
Bob Ross track ball
Ultimarc spinner - wanting to add this to my order. Recommendations for weight? I want to use it for game selection and tempest (one of my faves)

Also thinking I should get a new harness setup.. my panel is a mess from the previous owner. My optipac is old school also and is serial based.. can't seem to figure out that either.

Any recommendations on what to order would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this project done..working from home will be much more enjoyable 😝

Cheers