Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fuse Holder Types (GMA/MDL?)  (Read 3191 times)

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
Fuse Holder Types (GMA/MDL?)
« on: August 30, 2021, 04:12:31 pm »
I noticed that fuses that are commonly in most chassis types and cabinets are time delay or slow blow. I also noticed they usually are marked as MDL, but fast-acting fuses are marked as GMA.

Recently I was working on a Hantarex Polo, & I noticed one side of the fuse holder was blackened and missing a chunk of plastic. I think this was caused by some arcing, as that side didn't grip the fuse as tightly as the other side. I bent it to make it contact that side of the fuse a little tighter and cleaned the metal a bit. I still wish to replace the holder, but I wonder if I should pay attention to the description and make sure it is for MDL type fuses, not just GMA. Does it matter?

For instance, in the description for this listing on Ebay it says "suitable for the GMA fuse":
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271603783683

THANKS!
 :D

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:42 pm
Re: Fuse Holder Types (GMA/MDL?)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 06:26:52 pm »
i tend to look at this way,
if you have a single fuse on a chassis (i.e switch mode type) then go with anti surge
if you have two fuses( one for ac in and one for b+) then go for quick blow on b+ and anti surge or time delay on ac in

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 01:35:33 am »
i tend to look at this way,
if you have a single fuse on a chassis (i.e switch mode type) then go with anti surge
if you have two fuses( one for ac in and one for b+) then go for quick blow on b+ and anti surge or time delay on ac in

I was asking about the fuse holder itself. But hey, I learned a new term. "Anti-surge". So, it's the same as slow-blow or time-delay.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 01:38:29 am »
there are diiferences between slow blow, time delay and anti surge
a fuse holder is just that, nothing special about it

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 03:17:56 am »
there are diiferences between slow blow, time delay and anti surge
a fuse holder is just that, nothing special about it

That's what I figured, but it threw me when I noticed some descriptions stating an actual fuse type. I was thinking possibly a holder not able to carry higher amperage for more than a second might not be rated for use with time-delay fuses and such.

Thanks!