Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vertical bartop - "SHMUPIN" *Complete*  (Read 13385 times)

firedance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:14:35 pm
Vertical bartop - "SHMUPIN" *Complete*
« on: August 27, 2021, 10:00:25 am »
Hi All,

Following on from my thread in monitor/video - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165481.0.html i've started this build thread, given my track record it may take a while to get to the finish line but hope it may help/inspire others  along the way :)

been looking at thin clients as a alternative to raspberryPi's, yes the clients are bigger but much smaller than a regular SFF or even USFF PC, so here it is in all its naked glory -

Dell Wyse Dx0Q (5020) - 4GB ram 32GB Flash, £25 delivered from eBay and no it doesn't run "Crysis"  ;D , in the pictures there is 1 thermal pad showing, the other one is stuck to the removed lid  ;)

more information can be found here - https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/d/dx0q/

i also test fitted a 120Gb SSD inside the case, yes it's a little tight but does actually fit, just, the sata cable is a little long at 30cm but that's all i had to hand to test.

it struggled with Windows 10 but zips along with windows 7, did lower the resolution to 1280x800 to help it along, the widescreen monitor i mentioned in the other thread as a max resolution of 1440x900 anyways.

even with the coinops "pinball vs Arcade" build there is still about 3GB or so left so plenty of space to add a few many vertical games for mame that aren't there, such as "halleys comet" that i can remember from my younger days.

still some testing to do and planning the bartop but hey it's a start :)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Vertical bartop - no name as yet......
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 08:57:11 am »
This intrigues me as we have about 800 of these at work which have now been replaced with Surface devices. Let us know how it plays, Was looking at throwing a linux build on one I have but if Windows works :)

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 11:51:21 am »
Thanks for your interest :)

Just done some basic testing -

Windows 7 home premium 64bit - 1280x720, monitor i'm using is 16:10 ratio, looks squashed on desktop but in coinops it fully fills the screen and seems to be in the correct aspect ratio, yes i got a ruler out and measured the circles on screen to check they were round  ;D, will have to tinker with coinops as i've only just started using this frontend.

cold boot to desktop takes 24 seconds (includes the dell bios), have done the no gui boot via msconfig, once it's all fully up and running i'll shell it anyways.

loading Coinops takes 7 seconds

picked 1941 game as it was first on the list, takes 10 seconds, may take less time to quit then start again, will have to test further.

kept "glass" and "glowing scanlines" on in coinops, tried 1941 and dodonpachi both run 100% in mame (press f11 for onscreen FPS), then tried raiden fighters 2, started off ok then the FPS was all over the place, need more testing again.

if there are any games that you'd like me to try that are vertical then let me know  :)

only briefly played with the pinball side, seems to play at full speed at 1440x900, again will tinker at some point :)

never had a RaspberryPI so can't compare but so far i'm impressed for so little money at what this can do, not tried any other systems on it yet tho such as N64 or PS1, that's for another time.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 01:10:25 pm »
Once i had windows installed it didn't install any LAN drivers, a quick google later on another PC, found the drivers that seem to work ok even tho they might not be the correct ones - https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=62p6c

it also couldn't find the graphics drivers so was limited to only 2 resolutions, neither of which were widescreen, these drivers work a treat -

https://www.amd.com/en/support/embedded/amd-embedded-g-series-processors/g-series-apu

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:46:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 07:00:42 pm »
Have you thought about leaving it no name themed and just making it yellow with a bold, lower case "arcade cabinet" marquee in Helvetica font? That's always the first thing I think of when someone posts a no name project.

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/news/pivot-magazine/2020-02-25-no-name-ad-campaign

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 07:18:59 am »
for a giggle i did a windows performance test, turned out better than i expected :)

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 07:21:33 am »
Have you thought about leaving it no name themed and just making it yellow with a bold, lower case "arcade cabinet" marquee in Helvetica font? That's always the first thing I think of when someone posts a no name project.

Thanks for the suggestion, this bartop wont have a physical marquee as when you run a mame game it as it's own marquee per game so would look weird with 2 marquees  :)

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:46:08 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 08:29:15 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, this bartop wont have a physical marquee as when you run a mame game it as it's own marquee per game so would look weird with 2 marquees  :)

You could also go with a variation on a theme that was talked about before but never made. VertUrkelCade.  :D

BeastlyBoy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2021, 08:13:44 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 05:10:34 am »
£25 is a steal! Curious to see where this one goes.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 01:29:03 pm »
Thanks, most don't come with the PSU and are more money, guess i struck lucky :)

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 01:40:39 pm »
Following the very easy de-casing guide i posted earlier, i did mine, done in about 20 seconds as i didn't want to snap the plastic surround  ;)

de-cased sizes are (portrait) - H430mm x W278mm x D52mm approx .

the grey metal surround is 9mm all round so should be easy to work out when i router out the bezel like i've done with my other bartops.

the little speakers are 60mmx30mmx 25mm, they are like a wedge shape so 25mm is the fattest part, very easy to remove from the monitor and should be easy to extend to where i need them  :)

hope this info is useful to someone if they have the same monitor.

still not really decide on a design but will be small and compact and be single player only  ;D

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 10:38:39 am »
Just done a quick mockup on a piece of 12mm mdf, has you can see there's a few rubbed off pencil marks, hopefully you can see kinda the idea i'm going for, it won't have a straight back although i may have to use 2mm mdf for the back panel as it looks very tight in there  :o the monitor will be recessed in the 12mm mdf bezel about half way so will gain a little bit of room there.

front to back is 400mm, height is 555mm, width will be monitor (278mm) plus a bit either side and then 2 12mm side panels, so maybe about 320mm in total  :)

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 07:11:49 am »

https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/Jupiter%20X300/index.asp

certainly packs a punch but costs a little bit more than mine  :laugh:

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 12:10:03 pm »
Wow, didn't realise it had been this long but given my track record it's hardly surprising  ;)

Finally got back into looking at the thin client, was wondering how to power the fans for cooling, a quick google later it seems there is a 12v source on the motherboard (https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/d/dx0q/), just what i needed, a quick rummage thru my many parts boxes i rigged up a down'n'dirty solution.

1 x JST spare wire from the many zero delay kits i bought, a little bit large so had to snap off the little plastic tabs on the socket, ideally a smaller JST would have been better, used the middle 2 pins as one is 12v and the other ground.

1 x chinese fan controller that i snipped off the molex connecter and then wired up to the JST wire above.

1 x 120mm case fan from way way back when LED's were cool  ;D
1 x 92mm fan from some random cpu cooler, even as a couple of O rings still stuck on to stop vibrations.

:o it works a treat, think the 120mm will be the intake in the bottom of the bartop, to give it a blue glow and the 92mm will be the exhaust high up on the back.

Also should be able to rig up a button for the power switch instead using the one at the front  :)

firedance

• Online Online
Re: Vertical bartop - "SHMUPIN"
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 02:48:00 pm »
SHMUPIN - it may change before it's actually finished but I kinda like the name, kinda obvious but hey it's only a name .... ;)

ericball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 03:07:18 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 04:54:41 pm »
Great job!  My one suggestion is to get the software side working before you sink a lot of time into the cabinet itself.  Make sure the hardware you have will run the games you want to play.
MAME Projects % completed:
2004 3 sided cocktail cabinet w/ modular CP <25%
2004 Tempest cabinet & CP > 75%
2017 Raspberry Pi Zero W w/ Lakka microconsole 50%
2021 Vertical Bartop - in progress > 80%, 100% functional

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 08:17:07 am »
Great job!  My one suggestion is to get the software side working before you sink a lot of time into the cabinet itself.  Make sure the hardware you have will run the games you want to play.

It a Quad core AMD GX-415GA @1.5GHz , it should run older games just fine. Even PS1 and N64 emulation should be good.  I'm not usually one to advocate buying better hardware (especially once the initial hardware is bought) but an old Dell OptiPlex 3040M  is only about 115 pounds sterling and would have a much better 6th gen quad core i5 CPU.

Thin clients are grossly underpowered because they are designed to let the host do all the heavy lifting but if its runs everything you want it to, then keep it. I wanna your ideas of what the actual cab is going to look like.  For some reason I have the Shmupin' name acting like a parody of Toobin` in my head.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2022, 09:51:47 am »
Thanks Malenko, am surprised the thin client runs what it does anyway  ??? guess i could have installed lakka (Retroarch) instead of windows + coinops which would lessen the burden on the hardware, maybe for next time  :D

Hear what you're saying about newer and better hardware but guess it's a slippery slope to keep spending on a hobby when fuel, food & energy bills are shooting thru the roof  :o :o

was kinda inspired by this bartop - https://www.facebook.com/doityourselfarcade/photos/720080558135567, it's popped up a few times in different threads on here, loads more pictures on their Facebook page, mine will be a vertical one in a similar style.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 07:38:53 am »
Checked my little wood store for 20mmx20mm PSE batons for this bartop, only piece i had left was like a dogs hind leg  ;) but i did have some 19mm x 68mm straps that are used for protecting materials when using a plastic/metal strapping machine, each side piece was approx 19mm close enough, so i hatched a plan, found some scrap 18mm MDF which fitted perfectly in the groove with room to spare, guessimated the middle, screwed the strap to it, set my 85mm mini plunge saw to approx 20mm then cut off both sides, sure my sawing wasn't perfect and wandered a little bit but at least 3 sides are square  ;D , Didn't have a table saw as it would have been easily before someone pipes up  :P so there you have it, Homemade batons.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2022, 11:39:35 am »
Cut out a side panel with jigsaw, then used the straps clamped down plus the homemade batons that i screwed on, hence the little screw holes around the edge (these will be in the inside so most will be hidden by the middle panel) for guides for the router flush/trim bit, kinda did one side at a time (no pics), once that was complete i drew round it, then sawn a rough outline, for the easiest i just screwed the two panels together, will be easy to fill in the 3 little holes later, was going to try some double sided tape instead put seem to have misplaced it  ???

Will cut the middle panels out later once I've worked out the sizes i need, still not sure on the width it will be yet  :)

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 11:04:23 am »
Had a few minutes spare time so wired in the power switch extension, am not the greatest at soldering but does the job and no one will know when the lid is back on  ;)

Removed the 4 screws that hold on the daughter board, flipped it over, added some solder to the very small pins for the power switch then solder on the wires, put a bit of tape to cover the soldered wires then routed the wires under the daughter board, screwed it back down, used a couple of zip ties to secure the wires to the side of the case then fed them thru the Kensington lock hole along with the 2 wires for the fan, quite tidy i think, replaced the case lid, guess i should have tested before putting it back together.......no need as it worked a treat just by touching the 2 wires (green and black) to switch on the machine, will use a LED switch like on my other bartops, think i have one around here somewhere, if not I'll just use a spare 30mm button from a zero delay kit, slow progress i know but at least i'm moving forward.

that's all for now   :)

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2022, 01:13:50 pm »
Dodged a quick thunder and shower storm to knock out the middle panels and plexi, decided to make it the same width as the decased monitor (278mm), thought i had cut them a little too tight but works perfectly, phew, as seen in my very quick mock-up it's a snug fit :)

Still gotta work a few things but winging it as i go, bit like my other builds.

(grabbed a few random books to higher up the monitor, blanked out the titles to stop too many questions  ;) )

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2022, 05:25:36 pm »
Looking good.  What kind of set up puts the marquee on top like that?

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2022, 11:37:21 pm »
Looking good.  What kind of set up puts the marquee on top like that?

Thanks  :D

It's "pinball Vs arcade" coinops frontend, from what I have gathered it's a cobbled together version not a true coinops release, still works a treat.

There are some true vertical coinops releases but I wanted pinball as well  :)

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2022, 06:09:53 am »
There's also a vertical hyperspin called hyperV 1.8 (MAME) but it's not as polished as coinops.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 11:50:17 am »
Should have said it's "Layouts" for MAME that puts the marquee up there, all the hard work is done by the creators of Coinops.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2022, 12:00:42 pm »
Yesterday I glued and clamped the control panel and front piece together, then today drilled out the holes, wasn't sure to go for the 6 buttons but thought that best in case I or someone else wanted to add other games or console games to it later in its life span  ;D

Will bevel or round off the leading edge along with the speakers holes.

The 2 25mm holes on the front piece will be for the speakers, sadly my 25mm forstner bit as seen better days, even at a slower speed it still slightly burnt while drilling, could also have been my haste and too much pressure as it'll cut down on my BBQ n beer time  ;)

That's all for now........

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 08:48:04 am »
Yesterday evening i drilled the holes in the side panels for the pinball flipper buttons then glued and nailed the batons for the middle panels, never done it this way before and only the 3rd time i've used my little nail gun  :)  not put the ones on for the bottom panel yet. (excuse orange on the batons, used them as lathes on another project while painting)

The 92mm fan i was going to use was a little noisy when in a vertical position so went with a 80mm instead, saves me buying a 92mm fan guard too  ;D

Today i worked on the middle panels, dunno if everyone cuts holes for the fans like this but this is how i do it, rough cut with a jigsaw, screw on a fan surround then using a flush bit gentle go around the the fan guide, have used it a few times so might not be a perfect circle  ;) then swapped to a ovolo bit to round off the edge, had set it a little low, easily sorted with with 240 sandpaper, moved onto the bottom panel (no pics) basically the same only with a 120mm fan surround.

Also did the little speak holes at the front so they all match, did a 45 degree angle on the control panel where it will meet the plexi so hopefully should be a snug fit.

Confession -  made it playable yesterday as i wasn't sure if i had made a mistake with the button in the top left corner being too close to the joystick, didn't hit it once was while testing several games, might be a different story for a fighting game such as SF or MK  tho ;D

that's all for today, still a long way to go.........

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2022, 07:42:38 am »
Did a small amount of work on the bartop yesterday, screwed the control and back panels temporary as i need to refine the shape with my router, will glue them on once they are done and wrapped :)

For the back panel that will have the thin client and 80 mm fan attached I drilled the holes for the power switch (right smaller hole) i still don't have a 12mm bit so used my metal step drill bit, sure it makes it a little fluffy but you won't be able to tell once the LED switch is in place, the other hole is for the 3.5mm inline volume control like i've used before, will need to refine that at some point so it's easier to finger the hole er i mean turn the volume up and down.

Installed 4  m4 "INSERT NUTS TYPE D" into the side batons, then will use some black hex m4 countersunk screws to screw on the back panel, was going to side mount some cabinet hinges but went for the easy option, once it's together i shouldn't need to open it back up for a while anyways.

Glued on the bottom batons, plan is to drill a hole thru them so i can get to the screws on the panels that are already screwed on, will attached the bottom panel the same way as the back one so i have two points of entry  ;)

Used some filler on the little holes on the side panels, once sanded and wrapped they shouldn't be that noticeable.

Using the baton method i've realised it's gonna be tight for space in there, am sure it'll be alright in the end  ???

Hope all the above makes sense and not just some random gibberish  ;D

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2022, 10:30:14 am »
Refined the front and back lower panels, rounded off front and back edges too, might need to give it a quick sand with some 240 grit before it's wrapped.

Maybe getting ahead of myself but I've wrapped the bottom panel, installed the grill and fan, have put it one side as i won't need it till I'm ready for the final push  ;D

The wrap is "contact paper" which as a slight texture to it, had it a while, wasn't a lot of money for 10m (eBay) think it was about £9 delivered. 

The line you can see is not my wrapping skills, said i was winging the design, had to add on about 18mm to the panel as i changed my mind with the rear as i was going to recess the panel but instead flushed mounted it, only realised after i had cut the panel, it's going on the bottom so won't be seen anyways  :angel:

Again a long way to go but still moving forward.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2022, 10:08:44 am »
Give the insides a quick coat of white paint, painted the edges in black metal paint, all i had to hand, as soaked in but won't be seen hopefully by the chrome edging i have left over.

Wrapped the panels in D-C FIX wood grain effect vinyl wrap, bit on the shiny side but looks ok to me  :) the scuffs you see inside are where i tested the monitor a few times to make sure it still fit, once it's all together i may give it another coat inside  ;)

Made a few minor errors while putting it together hence the little plastic block in the top right corner, misaligned the top panel so unscrewed and bodged it with that  :o

**edit** realised i haven't trimmed the vinyl for the pinball buttons before taking pics, will do it now  ;D

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2022, 01:00:56 pm »
Couple of hours or so and it's all fitted to the back panel, just hope it fits now when the monitor is in place  >:D

To power the LED in the power button I've wired into the spare connector on the fan controller saves using a USB port  ;D

just need to hot glue the power button in and it's soldered wires as i forgot to add some heat shrink before i started soldering ;)

Tested and ready for installation  8)

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2022, 06:21:03 pm »
Looking good!  I like your clean mounting of all the pc parts.  What kind of metal brackets are those and are they adjustable?

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2022, 12:47:55 am »
The metal brackets are just 2" L brackets with approximately 1/2" bend over to grip the thin client, took a couple attempts to get the right gap to grip tightly.

Should have taken more pictures but was in the zone when putting the parts together  ;D

https://www.screwfix.com/p/corner-braces-zinc-plated-52-x-52-x-16-35mm-10-pack/11013?kpid=11013&ds_kid=92700058176431119&ds_rl=1244072&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4uaUBhC8ARIsANUuDjVM6jFwHIQyytVkEf9XuJsd-X6UpcuFqmlklyDUqlbWy5RsVldv7zUaArzCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2022, 07:26:15 am »
Just done a quick test fit, loads of room, wasn't worried at all  :angel:

The panel below the monitor was attached using 2 plastic corner brackets as i'd run out of the batons i had cut previously.

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2022, 12:47:21 pm »
removed speakers from monitor, mounted some speaker grills (wire waste paper basket from poundworld) soldered on some longer wires then installed to the panel.

Reinstalled the awesome zero delay joystick kit plus 2 led buttons that are spare when I last updated "NEONCADE", not sure if to light them up or not on the side  ??? as they stand out well enough on the black sides.

Should be able to tap into a 5V source on the board or just jam the wires into the USB socket on the board, not that i've already done that to test them already  :laugh:

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2022, 08:40:05 am »
Not much of a update but here ya go  :)

Drilled out the solder for the 5v wires for the LED buttons, pushed the wires thru and soldered on the back side.

Taped up the monitor ready for spraying black IF i get a warm windless day  :o

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2022, 07:28:06 am »
Had just enough chrome trim left over to do both sides but not the bottom, still looks good, used contact adhesive again as the foam backing had started to peel off anyways.

Need to still spray the monitor and maybe the plexi, depends how the monitor looks behind the smoked plexi, it's then on to the final put together then the last of the wiring  :)

firedance

• Online Online
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2022, 04:40:47 am »
All sprayed up, hope it doesnt rain this morning.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2022, 08:39:56 am »
You're making good steady progress! Keep up the good work.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.