Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vertical bartop - no name as yet......  (Read 1590 times)

firedance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:51:22 pm
Vertical bartop - no name as yet......
« on: August 27, 2021, 10:00:25 am »
Hi All,

Following on from my thread in monitor/video - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165481.0.html i've started this build thread, given my track record it may take a while to get to the finish line but hope it may help/inspire others  along the way :)

been looking at thin clients as a alternative to raspberryPi's, yes the clients are bigger but much smaller than a regular SFF or even USFF PC, so here it is in all its naked glory -

Dell Wyse Dx0Q (5020) - 4GB ram 32GB Flash, 25 delivered from eBay and no it doesn't run "Crysis"  ;D , in the pictures there is 1 thermal pad showing, the other one is stuck to the removed lid  ;)

more information can be found here - https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/d/dx0q/

i also test fitted a 120Gb SSD inside the case, yes it's a little tight but does actually fit, just, the sata cable is a little long at 30cm but that's all i had to hand to test.

it struggled with Windows 10 but zips along with windows 7, did lower the resolution to 1280x800 to help it along, the widescreen monitor i mentioned in the other thread as a max resolution of 1440x900 anyways.

even with the coinops "pinball vs Arcade" build there is still about 3GB or so left so plenty of space to add a few many vertical games for mame that aren't there, such as "halleys comet" that i can remember from my younger days.

still some testing to do and planning the bartop but hey it's a start :)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 10:09:30 am by firedance »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2021, 05:12:18 am
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Vertical bartop - no name as yet......
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 08:57:11 am »
This intrigues me as we have about 800 of these at work which have now been replaced with Surface devices. Let us know how it plays, Was looking at throwing a linux build on one I have but if Windows works :)

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 11:51:21 am »
Thanks for your interest :)

Just done some basic testing -

Windows 7 home premium 64bit - 1280x720, monitor i'm using is 16:10 ratio, looks squashed on desktop but in coinops it fully fills the screen and seems to be in the correct aspect ratio, yes i got a ruler out and measured the circles on screen to check they were round  ;D, will have to tinker with coinops as i've only just started using this frontend.

cold boot to desktop takes 24 seconds (includes the dell bios), have done the no gui boot via msconfig, once it's all fully up and running i'll shell it anyways.

loading Coinops takes 7 seconds

picked 1941 game as it was first on the list, takes 10 seconds, may take less time to quit then start again, will have to test further.

kept "glass" and "glowing scanlines" on in coinops, tried 1941 and dodonpachi both run 100% in mame (press f11 for onscreen FPS), then tried raiden fighters 2, started off ok then the FPS was all over the place, need more testing again.

if there are any games that you'd like me to try that are vertical then let me know  :)

only briefly played with the pinball side, seems to play at full speed at 1440x900, again will tinker at some point :)

never had a RaspberryPI so can't compare but so far i'm impressed for so little money at what this can do, not tried any other systems on it yet tho such as N64 or PS1, that's for another time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:57:15 pm by firedance »

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 01:10:25 pm »
Once i had windows installed it didn't install any LAN drivers, a quick google later on another PC, found the drivers that seem to work ok even tho they might not be the correct ones - https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=62p6c

it also couldn't find the graphics drivers so was limited to only 2 resolutions, neither of which were widescreen, these drivers work a treat -

https://www.amd.com/en/support/embedded/amd-embedded-g-series-processors/g-series-apu

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:47:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 07:00:42 pm »
Have you thought about leaving it no name themed and just making it yellow with a bold, lower case "arcade cabinet" marquee in Helvetica font? That's always the first thing I think of when someone posts a no name project.

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/news/pivot-magazine/2020-02-25-no-name-ad-campaign

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 07:18:59 am »
for a giggle i did a windows performance test, turned out better than i expected :)

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 07:21:33 am »
Have you thought about leaving it no name themed and just making it yellow with a bold, lower case "arcade cabinet" marquee in Helvetica font? That's always the first thing I think of when someone posts a no name project.

Thanks for the suggestion, this bartop wont have a physical marquee as when you run a mame game it as it's own marquee per game so would look weird with 2 marquees  :)

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:47:01 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 08:29:15 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, this bartop wont have a physical marquee as when you run a mame game it as it's own marquee per game so would look weird with 2 marquees  :)

You could also go with a variation on a theme that was talked about before but never made. VertUrkelCade.  :D

BeastlyBoy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:58:37 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 05:10:34 am »
25 is a steal! Curious to see where this one goes.

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 01:29:03 pm »
Thanks, most don't come with the PSU and are more money, guess i struck lucky :)

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 01:40:39 pm »
Following the very easy de-casing guide i posted earlier, i did mine, done in about 20 seconds as i didn't want to snap the plastic surround  ;)

de-cased sizes are (portrait) - H430mm x W278mm x D52mm approx .

the grey metal surround is 9mm all round so should be easy to work out when i router out the bezel like i've done with my other bartops.

the little speakers are 60mmx30mmx 25mm, they are like a wedge shape so 25mm is the fattest part, very easy to remove from the monitor and should be easy to extend to where i need them  :)

hope this info is useful to someone if they have the same monitor.

still not really decide on a design but will be small and compact and be single player only  ;D

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 10:38:39 am »
Just done a quick mockup on a piece of 12mm mdf, has you can see there's a few rubbed off pencil marks, hopefully you can see kinda the idea i'm going for, it won't have a straight back although i may have to use 2mm mdf for the back panel as it looks very tight in there  :o the monitor will be recessed in the 12mm mdf bezel about half way so will gain a little bit of room there.

front to back is 400mm, height is 555mm, width will be monitor (278mm) plus a bit either side and then 2 12mm side panels, so maybe about 320mm in total  :)

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 07:11:49 am »

https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/Jupiter%20X300/index.asp

certainly packs a punch but costs a little bit more than mine  :laugh: