Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Asteroids Deluxe - Mirror and Black Light HELP??  (Read 4900 times)

gargoyle73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 12:54:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Asteroids Deluxe - Mirror and Black Light HELP??
« on: August 25, 2021, 08:19:11 pm »
Hey there!  SO scored this cab for $75, everything in there, so lucky, got the monitor rebuilt and working, looks great, BUT as I power on and got the blacklight working, it is not illuminating the cool-as-hell background, the mirror IS there and reflects the game, BUT, did someone paint it black?

If I put a light in back it shows through but barely, almost looks like someone spray painted black so the game image would be strong without the black light art?  Do people do that?

OR is there a perfect angle the light needs to shine on the mirror?  I have NOT yet dropped the sound/light fixture into place fully

If its paint, I assume I use a solvent to clean it off?  Can I harm it?

HELP and thank you

Lee in NC
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:27:46 pm by gargoyle73 »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
Re: Asteroids Deluxe - Mirror and Black Light HELP??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 03:36:56 am »
Possible it could have been painted, might just be the phosphorus pigments have aged and so they are no longer "glowing" as they should. Could you post an image? That would be pretty tricky to fix if it was painted. Not really any way to remove that layer without stripping out and damaging the original layer. And fixing that would be somewhat tricky unless you can find a vinyl print shop that can do phosphorus coloring. I'm guessing it would be something that you might just have to take to an artist for repainting. If the graphic itself is still visible and just not glowing, one would think they'd be able to repaint it over the original pattern with the phosphorus paints.

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 02:33:01 pm »
Phreakwars - problem is the MIRROR, the cardboard background glows quite beautifully, its just the background not visible through the mirror, the paint appears to be on the graphic side of the mirror.  U*nless the mirror had pigments painted on it?  Not sure how the effect works

Ideas?

Thank you!

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 12:13:18 am »
If it's the mirror then you might be able to fix it with some film: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mirror+window+film&crid=18PZMB0PPR8R2&sprefix=mirror+window%2Caps%2C190&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_13 I'm not quite sure how the effect works either. If I remember right, the monitor is next to the control panel and the image is inverted and reflected onto the mirror, and in back is the background and when combined together give a sort of 3-d type effect. There are 2 different type of lights you can use, a black light and a lighter colored one which is supposedly better looking, but this shouldn't affect what you are seeing in front of you. I'm just wondering if maybe that front bezel is the issue and not the mirror. I know they both work together to give the final effect. Have you tried something simple like taking some windex to it? Otherwise, not sure on this one. Love the project though, wish I had one here at the house to give it a better look, but I'm pretty sure it's a 2 way mirror.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:15:46 am by Phreakwars »

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 01:04:36 am »
Thanks man!

UPDATE - some nimrod DID paint the background side of the mirror, my guess is to make the image stronger without the background use, maybe routed with a 60 in 1 or something, UGH.  BUT with some elbow grease, goo gone product, and steel wool I am slowly restoring it (see attached). It IS a 2 way mirror and looking so cool, cant wait to finish.

I got the monitor working finally, BUT I have also retrofit a nice flat screen LCD so I can pump in similar vector games with background!  Gravitar, Lunar Lander, original Asteroids, this is going to be cool.  ALSO going to use it for some Atari 2600 space games, Yars Revenge will look sweet.  I've retrofited a joystick through player 2 WITHOUT drilling the original control panel too, and added an on/off switch externally for black light, so I can pump in any game I want, MAME can reverse X and Y axis for mirror.  PLUS I installed RGB lit buttons.  This is going to be sweet.

Thanks all
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 01:20:50 am by gargoyle73 »