Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HP w1907v 19" widescreen (16:10 aspect ratio) - ok for a vertical shump bartop ?  (Read 3801 times)

firedance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:12:35 pm
Hi,

a mate as got a HP w1907v 19" widescreen (1440x900 max res) monitor that he's giving away, its an 16:10 aspect ratio, would this be suitable for a vertical shump setup without borders or would i have to run with a squashed/stretched screen.

i have a "pinball v arcade"-coinops (never used a coinops build before, should be easy enough to work with i hope) that i may throw on there IF the monitor is suitable, thoughts ?

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure to put it here or the software forum)

thanks in advance for any help  :)

snappleman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2022, 10:11:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Well that depends. The aspect ratio wouldn't matter as I assume the games will still be in 4:3 vertical, you'd have letterboxing on the top and bottom which wont be as bad as on a 16:9. The real issue is the viewing angle as consumer LCDs for the most part are designed to be properly viewable horizontally, when flipped vertically most do not retain a proper viewing angle which means the colors and contrast will shift dramatically depending on where you're standing, and it doesn't always look proper looking at it dead on. It's amazing how you don't notice these things when viewing it horizontally but vertical it looks like a gamegear screen at times.

firedance

• Offline Offline
Thank you for the reply, think I'll get it off him as it's free and do some testing, if it's not suitable then at least I have a spare monitor  :D

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
16:10 in full screen is so close to 4:3 that you won’t notice the difference.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
16:10 is nice for a backglass monitor on a vpin.  I had to pay a bit more to find a used one when I built mine.

firedance

• Offline Offline
Got the monitor, done some very quick testing in portrait mode, colour and contrast doesnt change, viewing angles are great too, the only thing is the screen is quite reflective but once playing a game you don't notice, think we have a goer :)

very easy to decase as well, just pulls apart -

with no layouts in mame and the correct aspect ratio there is indeed top and bottom letter boxing.

installed pinball vs arcade, screen res is 1280x800 as the pc i may use is a little underpowered, more on that later  ;)

screenshot was thru mame then i resized it to 800x1280, doesnt look too bad for aspect ratio, will have a play around later this weekend perhaps with the settings.

firedance

• Offline Offline
16:10 is nice for a backglass monitor on a vpin.  I had to pay a bit more to find a used one when I built mine.

thanks for the info, might help someone out :)