Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jvl touch screen  (Read 5146 times)

brtlkat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 08:33:36 pm
Jvl touch screen
« on: August 14, 2021, 12:23:36 pm »
Will a vortex touch screen and controller work on a retro? I have a retro with a bad controller pcb and the flat touch screen glass, But i have a couple working vortex i could part out.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 12:26:13 pm by brtlkat »

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:04:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Jvl touch screen
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 11:43:15 pm »
Yes

brtlkat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 07:58:53 am »
Thanks for the reply Mike,, I swapped out the touch screen glass and it's com port wiring and the controller. One issue was getting it power but i figured that out, It powers up and green light is on the controller pcb. The game boots up fine but nothing to the touch on home screen. I can see the light get brighter on every touch but does nothing on screen. When i go to calibrate the screen, I can hit the first lower left bullseye circle but when i go to hit the one in the upper right it does nothing or it will make a loud sound and reboot the machine.

Tried factory reset and even reinstalled the software but that did not help. When the machine is in attract mode and i hit the screen to go back to the home screen it knows i touched the screen and goes the the home attract screen. Not to sure at this point as to what to try. Any help as to what to try next would be great Thanks.

brtlkat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 08:58:01 am »
Another thing i did notice, That the comport harness from the vortex has 6 wires, But the Retro comport harness has 8 wires (10 total but 2 are for the power).

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:04:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 05:29:54 pm »
Was the Vortex touchscreen confirmed working?  Did you try swapping the touchscreen controllers also?

The reboot definitely shouldn't be happening, maybe you've got a corrupt install.  Or a combination of any bad install/bad touchscreen/bad controller.

brtlkat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 08:32:05 am »
Yes the vortex was working when i pulled touch glass and controller from it. But the touch glass ribbon cable was brittle to the touch, So in the process must have moved the ribbon cable to much and it was the issue. The ribbon was broke in half and i did not see this installing it. So on to one of the other vortex i have and removed the same parts  but this time the cable was in a lot better shape and installed in the retro with no issues. Thanks Mike for pointing me in the right direction.

The Retro is working 100%

Thanks