Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cruis'n World, lamps/microswitches in control panel (how to?)  (Read 4281 times)

AE35

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2022, 01:48:24 pm
  • That sure is a nice raygun!
Cruis'n World, lamps/microswitches in control panel (how to?)
« on: August 06, 2021, 12:28:02 pm »
Hi again guys

I am still working on giving my wife's Cruis'n World an overhaul. Some of the incandescent bulbs are out, so I want to change them. The "start" button to the right of the steering wheel has a microswitch mounted on a plastic thing which also contain the bulb. How do I remove it from the tube with the spring in order to change the bulb, and how do I reconnect it? :) See picture below, please. It seems to not being able to be turned or anything.

I also have the "cam"-buttons to the left - these went out fine, but I have trouble with getting them to click in or something. There are two white "prongs" (see picture below) on the side of the plastic thing, but I fail to see how they will make the unit grip firmly. I can just pull it back after inserting it.

Any advice?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:31:33 pm
Re: Cruis'n World, lamps/microswitches in control panel (how to?)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 05:12:23 pm »
It's not clear from the picture, but if that's a illuminated button there should be a 5V lamp in the upper part you can easily remove by pulling it up

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:03:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 07:50:05 pm »
As baritonomarchetto mentioned, the lamps are T 3-1/4 wedge-base and pull straight out of the socket.
- You can use normal LED replacement lamps as shown the picture below -- less current, less heat, and longer life than incandescent bulbs.
- The surface-mount style wedge-base replacement LEDs I tried were too big to fit in the rectangular button.   :banghead:

The "start" button to the right of the steering wheel has a microswitch mounted on a plastic thing which also contain the bulb. How do I remove it from the tube with the spring in order to change the bulb, and how do I reconnect it? :) See picture below, please. It seems to not being able to be turned or anything.

I also have the "cam"-buttons to the left - these went out fine, but I have trouble with getting them to click in or something. There are two white "prongs" (see picture below) on the side of the plastic thing, but I fail to see how they will make the unit grip firmly. I can just pull it back after inserting it.
There are three basic types of LED holders.
- Two of them twist to remove, one does not.

The most common twist-to-remove type is the "tab and slot" style as seen on the round button below.
- You can see the tabs on the button body and the slot on the LED socket.

The other twist-to-remove type is the "bayonet lug" style as seen on the triangular button below.
- You can see the "bayonet lug" nub on the cylindrical body of the.LED socket.  There is a matching nub on the other side of the LED socket.
- To assemble this type, line the two nubs up with the slots in the button body, press the socket all of the way in, then turn clockwise about 30 degrees until the nubs click into place and one leg of the plunger aligns with the microswitch actuator.

The third type of LED button is like the rectangular button below.
- You just push the LED socket straight in to the button body firmly until it clicks together.  The square nub (shown clearly in your second photo) keeps the socket aligned with the button body and plunger leg.
- It can be difficult to remove the LED socket from the button body, but a motion that combines rocking, a slight twisting pressure, and pulling seems to do the trick nicely.   ;D

Scott

AE35

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2022, 01:48:24 pm
  • That sure is a nice raygun!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 02:19:41 pm »

Scott, thanks again! I managed to pull them out of their sockets :)