Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Initial D cabinet conversion

<< < (2/3) > >>

Howard_Casto:
I hate to say this but most of your arcade racers don't hold up.   You've got a handful, mostly sega stuff and that's it.  So this is just my opinion but if you want to get the most out of your cabinet you really want to run some modern pc (or pc-based) racers on there.   crts are acceptable for that, but when you can output 4k and beyond for modern games an lcd looks more appealing, depending upon what you want to run. 

cr81:
Trying not  to go too far down the rabbit hole on this one honestly led/lcd screen + pc + wheel nearly 1k right. 

buttersoft:

--- Quote from: cr81 on August 05, 2021, 08:10:04 pm ---Yeah I have a 31k sanwa monitor.  I'm torn between ripping it out and putting a 32" lcd in there,  Maybe ill do that a little later down the line.  Im assuming chihiro naomi and triforce games all run at 31khz right and should be no problem  right?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on August 05, 2021, 09:42:25 pm ---I hate to say this but most of your arcade racers don't hold up.   You've got a handful, mostly sega stuff and that's it.  So this is just my opinion but if you want to get the most out of your cabinet you really want to run some modern pc (or pc-based) racers on there.   crts are acceptable for that, but when you can output 4k and beyond for modern games an lcd looks more appealing, depending upon what you want to run.

--- End quote ---

All is not lost, there’s a fair few games he’s leaving out. And some of us prefer Arcade over sim anyway  That said, keeping the CRT would be a labour of love - it always is.

So, assuming a dedicated ID3 naomi cab would come with a fixed 31kHz CRT monitor with a VGA plug, that limits you to 640x480@60p. That’s as low as stock windows goes, which is great, but  the problem will be when programs suddenly decide to use different, higher-res video modes. You could use something like crt_emudriver to prevent that, or I think something like ToastyX’s CRU would be easier. That last should let you define the EDID of your monitor even if it doesn’t have one. It might be easiest to set that up with an LCD plugged into digital port, and the CRT not plugged in at all until it’s set up right. And you could probably create a 720x480p mode in it or whatever and push the timings off the sides so you're only seeing the middle of a widescreen game, to stop it compressing 16:9 into 4:3.

Linedoubling would probably look alright on that screen, and that 3D games are fine to scale anyway, minus the HUD/ So, games you’ll be able to run happily at 480p would include: MAME. Model2. Model3. Naomi. Maybe OR2SPSDX on Teknoparrot (with a bit of work to scale the display right)… and I’ll add more as I think of them.

Other games might be more work, and some hud elements might look bad or be unreadable. You can probably try a 640x480 windowed mode and use RTSS to framelimit Lindbergh games like ID5. (with, say, and autohotkey script to go borderless fullscreen.) And the same might work for ID6/7/8. And most of the other Teknoparrot titles as well. Some definitely won’t go below 800x600 no matter what, like BG4 Tuned, but you won’t know until you try a lot of them.

Middle-0aged PC racing games like Grid, Grid2, Dirt1,2,3, Richard Burnss Rally and more, will all probably run. The HUD might be barely illegible, but the games still look ok and play well.

If by some miracle that Sanwa 31kHz monitor will do 800x600@50p or even 576@50p, things work a lot better. I doubt it will tho.

May I ask how you would be running Chihiro? I only know about CXBXR, and that’s not running perfectly AFAIK. And didn’t the Dolphin guys put aside Triforce a few years back, before it was fully working?

Howard_Casto:
Oh I'm talking about arcade racers, not sims.  Many of the best are modern pc games.   

cr81:
Hmmm....So I just assumed that chihiro emulation would be further along.....Looks like I was wrong.  That def changes things a bit.  Since I will be keeping my 31k crt it seems like the best solution would be abandon the emulation idea and just buy a chihiro and swap them in and out.

also buttersoft what is mmos?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version