Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Initial D cabinet conversion

(1/3) > >>

cr81:
HI All,

I just recently picked up an inital D cabinet with failing GDROM.  Rather than try to nurse the naomi 2 hardware I'm considering removing the naomi system and replacing it with a PC, I have a few questions.  I want
  to be able to play crazy taxi, outrun 2, intial D and maybe sega rally 3.  I also do want to keep the cab looking(but only looking) stock as far as the steering wheel and shifter and pedals. 

First question, the wheel and force feedback.  As I said I would like to keep the cabinet looking stock.  Can I rewire the existing wheel to work with ffb and mame/demul.  from what I could read I couldn't so what's
    the best thing to swap it out with.  Would it be a good idea to take a thrustmaster csl direct drive motor and put it behind the wheel then get a stock looking steering wheel? 

Second question is what's the best emulator front end also I'm not opposed to putting a console in the cabinet, is that a thing?

Thanks

nipsmg:
I'm assuming the cabinet (as it stands) has force feedback.  If so, this should definitely be doable. 

First, can you identify the motor?  That will help greatly.

Once you've done that, you can definitely wire everything up without FFB using only an arduino mega.  If you want FFB, I'd HIGHLy recommend a PWM2M2/PWM2HAPP board from Aganyte.  Basically, you wire it up to your mega, hook up power to the board, and hook the motor into the board..... and that's it.

If not, can you get me any info you can about the cab?  (Details, manuals, serial number, version, etc) -- depending on the layout / spacing /etc you may be able to mount an arcade FFB motor there (seomthing like this): https://www.ebay.com/itm/154438625306?hash=item23f542681a:g:9bIAAOSw4p5gkFwY

The FFB out of an arcade wheel will be WAY better than a Logitech wheel.

For a frontend, I love LaunchBox.  I created a driving theme which is wheel/pedal controlled and is awesome.  Need a little more work on it but i love it as it.  Am going to release it soon.

I'm happy to help with whatever I can.

----

Just be warned... the hardware is like 10% of it, the software setup / dialing in FFB per game / configuration is like 90% of the effort.  It's a pain int he ass but is worth it once it's all dialed in, nothing like it.

Malenko:
and you can sell me the Naomi hardware too

buttersoft:
Nipsmg is right about the FFB, you should be able to use the existing hardware. Look into the PWM2Happ option, and there's also MMOS. And also about the soft setup being 90% of the work. And to that end...

Naomi ID1/2/3 cabs had 31kHz CRT's in them originally, didn't they? Are you able to confirm a model number? You say you want to keep things original, including the CRT?

I ask, as setting up for and protecting that CRT is another consideration. Personally i love a CRT, even for newer arcade driving games meant for LCD like ID6, IDzero, SR3, Grid Arcade, etc. It just feels so much cooler  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm running a pair of identical 15kHz CRTs for my side by side setup, but they're PVM-2730's not arcade monitors, so i can get an 800x600@50i mode going and run games on that with v-sync off and RTSS to throttle them to 60Hz. Even at 31kHz an Arcade monitor might not be as flexible and might limit you when running Teknoparrot games.

cr81:

--- Quote from: nipsmg on August 04, 2021, 09:40:39 am ---I'm assuming the cabinet (as it stands) has force feedback.  If so, this should definitely be doable. 

First, can you identify the motor?  That will help greatly.

Once you've done that, you can definitely wire everything up without FFB using only an arduino mega.  If you want FFB, I'd HIGHLy recommend a PWM2M2/PWM2HAPP board from Aganyte.  Basically, you wire it up to your mega, hook up power to the board, and hook the motor into the board..... and that's it.

--- End quote ---

Ok so the part number for the motor is listed as 350-5448-01  servo motor 500W.  I was not able to find any other info on the motor other than a thread from 2010 claiming that this motor could not be connected to a pc and that maybe the motor is also used in sega super gt racing cabinets. 
The cabinet appears to be half of an inital D stage 3.  Im assuming  it was the slave as it has no power switch. 

The only markings on the motor are 43bfsg

--- Quote from: buttersoft on August 04, 2021, 09:26:19 pm ---Nipsmg is right about the FFB, you should be able to use the existing hardware. Look into the PWM2Happ option, and there's also MMOS. And also about the soft setup being 90% of the work. And to that end...

Naomi ID1/2/3 cabs had 31kHz CRT's in them originally, didn't they? Are you able to confirm a model number? You say you want to keep things original, including the CRT?

I ask, as setting up for and protecting that CRT is another consideration. Personally i love a CRT, even for newer arcade driving games meant for LCD like ID6, IDzero, SR3, Grid Arcade, etc. It just feels so much cooler  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm running a pair of identical 15kHz CRTs for my side by side setup, but they're PVM-2730's not arcade monitors, so i can get an 800x600@50i mode going and run games on that with v-sync off and RTSS to throttle them to 60Hz. Even at 31kHz an Arcade monitor might not be as flexible and might limit you when running Teknoparrot games.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I have a 31k sanwa monitor.  I'm torn between ripping it out and putting a 32" lcd in there,  Maybe ill do that a little later down the line.  Im assuming chihiro naomi and triforce games all run at 31khz right and should be no problem  right?

--- Quote from: Malenko on August 04, 2021, 02:49:49 pm ---and you can sell me the Naomi hardware too

--- End quote ---

STAY TUNED!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version