Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any good arcade-like games exclooosively on a console?  (Read 13142 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Any good arcade-like games exclooosively on a console?
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2022, 05:12:40 pm »
Well, it’s opinion if you’re saying all that makes it a better game. :lol I’m kidding. The SNES port is definitely a better game, I just wish it can be played with 4-players and if it had the extra animation frames as the arcade.

I also think UN Squadron/Area 88 is a better game on the SNES than the arcade.

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2022, 05:50:53 pm »
Rocksteady and Bebop are in the first arcade game. I don't know what to tell you. I don't need them in the second game. Your TMNT knowledge is impressive, though.  :cheers:

Also, I don't know about the code. It's cool that you do, but the code is meaningless since the arcade game plays really well. You can throw a ton of people by hitting them once or twice, tapping in closer, then hitting again. If you're saying that the type of throw is random, I believe you. I definitely don't need any more throwing into the screen than I get in the arcade game. And I definitely don't need that Battletoads style throw foot soldiers into the screen at Shredder level, but I'll admit that it looks cool.

For me, this is all a sideshow for the game breaker: the damage you take doing special moves in the SNES version. You guys are telling me that that doesn't bug you? That's what I consider one of the most fun moves in both arcade games. Making you take damage performing the move absolutely kills the fun of one hit group kills. I guess there aren't as many foot soldiers in the SNES version anyway, but that's another issue.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2022, 06:15:40 pm »
Well, it’s opinion if you’re saying all that makes it a better game. :lol I’m kidding.
I didnt say that its better because of it, but I am saying bebop and rocksteady are in it, and that the hit boxes were fixed , and you can control the throws :)
Lots and lots of games are better on consoles, even Contra on the NES is better than the arcade version.

Saramander/Salamander/Life Force is perfect on the TG16 , faster enemy animations and better music. Just a better overall experience.

Also, I don't know about the code. It's cool that you do, but the code is meaningless since the arcade game plays really well.
I meant code as in the assembly to program the game , not a cheat or anything. You can see the game pick from a random array of throw results.  As for the special draining life, its meant to be an invincible "hurt the enemies and get me out of a bind" move, just like the special in Final Fight (that also damages you). I think enemies uppercutting you out of jump kicks is shittier that taking special move damage. I like the way SOR3 handles it, a meter fills and if its full you can special move without penalty. If its not full, you take damage. Seems like a nice compromise.

I've learned way too much useless ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about code and old games via hacking them, but Ive found neat things like the file formats are the same between NBA Jam on PSX and SAT (data not audio) , and there are PSX button icons in the 6Men Scramble fire pro game on Saturn as well. And Ive learned that Capcom is full of coding and graphics sadists with the way SFZ3 is put together on the Saturn :)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2022, 07:50:44 pm »
Is this where I chime in and say I prefer the Genesis version because it gets rid of throwing enemies at the screen?

:dunno

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2022, 08:21:37 pm »
BuT mOdE sEvEn!!i!i!!  I thought it was awesome....until it wasn't.

Hyperstone has its own charm but TiT is a better game still. There are a couple good hacks for it though.

Big Apple 3AM hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3011/
Color hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2330/
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2022, 03:14:21 pm »
Hey, I'm sure all you TiT fans (heh) already know this, but there's a new TMNT game on the horizon that looks like it's a faithful update to the original Konami arcade games, called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge. It actually looks pretty wicked, I think this'll probably be a day one purchase for me.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361510/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_Shredders_Revenge/

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2022, 03:49:46 pm »
It will be for me, too, and if some of you want to play it cooperatively we should coordinate the platform.  I’ll likely take a day off work to play through it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2022, 08:43:35 pm »
Well, Bulk Slash is probably a top 10 Saturn game.  Stage 5 is kicking ---my bottom--- so I will Action Replay my way through it, but wow.  I wish the drawing distance was better, but it’s still very playable.

:cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2022, 05:13:20 pm »
Okay, so I put in some more time on Bulk Slash, this time with an Action Replay.  Once my excitement died down my opinion dropped.  The drawing distance really makes parts of this game very difficult, particularly the boss fights.  They did some interesting things with the levels to try and keep it fresh, but it does start feeling very samey by the time you get to the end.  A phenomenal job was done on the localization.  Not sure what happened, but it crashed on me at the end when I beat it with Action Replay codes.  Got some error message that... might? be Japanese.  I really don't see myself playing through this game again, but definitely worth a look.

:cheers: