Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can a JVL Retro machine run the newer HD2 or HD3 Software?  (Read 5861 times)

jevansoh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2023, 04:56:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can a JVL Retro machine run the newer HD2 or HD3 Software?
« on: July 28, 2021, 04:17:37 am »
Hello,

I have an option to buy a JVL Retro w/ Itouch 10 software loaded on it for $800.  I'm not thrilled with that price, but I'm not seeing anything available on eBay or anywhere else. I love the way the Retro looks, but I'm curious if it would be possible to run the newer HD software, any version of it, on the Retro hardware?

I'm also trying to find a comparison of the Itouch 10 vs Itouch 11 software to see if any games are removed in 11 from 10 and to see how many and which games are added in 11 to see if it would be worth trying to find an Itouch 11 key and software if that's the newest software it can run.

If anyone knows where I can get a good deal on a Retro (better than the local deal for $800) and/or can point me to a comparison list of the games for Itouch 10 vs 11, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If anyone knows where I can get a good deal on the Itouch 11 software and a key, I'd appreciate a link.

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to install the newer HD software versions on the Retro and if it isn't possible with the Retro hardware, I wonder if it would be possible to upgrade the hardware inside it to support the HD software?

I just love the jukebox lighting and woodgrain finish and actually like the joystick and buttons, too.  I'm in love with the cabinet and lighting of the Retro but would rather have the newer HD software and am wondering if it would be possible to hack the two together in some way to get the best of both worlds?

Thanks for your time and effort in replying.  It's much appreciated!

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 07:49:40 pm
  • I like to help out.
Re: Can a JVL Retro machine run the newer HD2 or HD3 Software?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 04:36:35 pm »
iTouch 11 adds a good amount of games if you upgrade the CF from 512m to 1GB I think it is about 15 more older classic games and a few newer ones not in iTouch 10.
I'm out of 11 keys now. They go for about $100
I highly doubt there is any way to get the HD games on the non HD games. Hardware is different. You may be able to get Megatouch games working on the monitor if you change the motherboard. I have seen one listed with a switch that switches between the two systems. But the coin and bill mechs don't work on the Megatouch side not sure about the joystick but it is doubtful.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:10:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 02:14:33 pm »
Retro mobo can't handle the graphics, and even if you found a compatiable mobo its impossible without Echo/Encore Ioboard.

jevansoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2023, 04:56:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 03:03:50 am »
iTouch 11 adds a good amount of games if you upgrade the CF from 512m to 1GB I think it is about 15 more older classic games and a few newer ones not in iTouch 10.
I'm out of 11 keys now. They go for about $100
I highly doubt there is any way to get the HD games on the non HD games. Hardware is different. You may be able to get Megatouch games working on the monitor if you change the motherboard. I have seen one listed with a switch that switches between the two systems. But the coin and bill mechs don't work on the Megatouch side not sure about the joystick but it is doubtful.

I would absolutely love to learn more about this switch to have both JVL Retro and my Megatouch Ion 2014 both working on the Retro so I could get rid of my Stand Up Megatouch cabinet and make room for another game.

Can you point me in the right direction for more information on how this works, what it looks like, and how to accomplish it?

Thanks so much!

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 07:49:40 pm
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 03:23:51 pm »
Didn't see the internals, it was just a facebook marketplace listing.
My guess is the money parts taken out and ION motherboard and i/o board installed.
All you would really need is a KVM switch with USB to switch them back and forth.
I never tried the touchscreen controller from the JVL on a megatouch, but I do know the microtouch controllers work on both jvl and megatouch. I have used the same serial touchscheen monitor on itouch 11 and ion 2014.