Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: handlebar controllers  (Read 4603 times)

Moksi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2024, 11:15:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
handlebar controllers
« on: July 24, 2021, 06:34:16 pm »
Hello
kindof looking for a good handlebar controller to play bike games with, mostly Mame m2 m3 etc. 
i didnt even know these controllers were available , i read of an yamaha ms1 a ps2 controller i believe , but saw some negative reviews about the steering.

as i looked around there were also some pretty expensive ones, but since yamaha ms is hard to find its also not cheap

Anybody that has a handlebar controller that can shed some info how its responsive with mame etc.

also recommendations

Roobs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2023, 09:08:25 pm
Re: handlebar controllers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 02:04:10 am »
I was on a walk this morning and contemplating different arcade controls as I'm looking at making swappable panels for my vewlix/chewlix.
I was thinking about motorbike controls.
I assume finding one is most desirable option but I had a few ideas.

I see that changing rims on fanatec wheels are fairly common.
you could quite easily make a bar adapter mount to bolt up to the steering wheel rim.
If you mounted the wheel with the rim facing upwards the side to side motion of the bars would translate to steering inputs (that most computers would be able to use.
you could quite easily utilise real motorbike parts including universal switches and clutch/brake handles and wire them to buttons that would have been on the steering wheel.
could even use the pedals from the steering wheel for rear brake etc.
use of a potentiometer and you could even add twist throttle control.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2024, 11:15:40 am
Re: handlebar controllers
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 10:20:26 am »
i wish i was that handy , but it would be cool if you could do a motorbike handlebar with real parts