Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: USB issues? Ultimarc Ikari rotary acts like it is permanently spinning  (Read 2713 times)

CitznFish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2021, 12:10:33 am
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
    • Disney Online
I have been struggling with what I think is a USB issue with my Ultimarc Ikari rotary adapters ( I have 2 on a 2 player cab). What happens is that when I boot up my MAME machine windows thinks there is a constant input from the player 1 rotary. If I start unplugging and plugging back in USB connectors it sometimes stops and fixes itself. This isn't a real solution to the problem though because I have to take the back off the machine every time.

Some of the USB connections are plugged directly to the motherboard. Some are connected to a powered USB hub.  Moving these connections around doesn't seem to resolve the issue.

Sometimes the trackball and spinner also do not work unless I unplug and replug in their respective USB cable (the one for the IO Ultimate board)

I am hoping someone  here is familiar with this issue or know how I can permanently resolve it.

I did notice in MAME it shows 10 instances of the rotary joysticks, could that be part of the issue?

I have created a video showing the issue:

I also ran mame -v and pasted it in github here:
https://github.com/CitznFish/mame_verbose/blob/main/test4.txt

I am running the following hardware from Ultimarc:
iPac Ultimate IO
Utrak flush mount trackball
Spintrak rotary control
Servo-Stik (2 of them)
Ikari Rotary ( 2 of them)

Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

Classic 80s Gamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2022, 07:54:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I think you are heading down the path of USB being your issue and from the video I don’t think it is USB.  As I understand the Ikari sticks they are essentially 12 contact closures with each rotation position represented by a different keystroke.  In the video it is difficult to see, if you rotate the stick does the repeating keystroke change?  If yes then it is doing as I would expect, each of the 12 positions is the equivalent of holding down a key on a keyboard.  That then brings up the question what is happening on the second joystick.  Do you only see one ‘press’ per click on the second stick?  If so I then there must be a difference in the iPac configuration, wiring, or the keys you are mapping.  Unfortunately you can’t see Notepad in the video so it is hard to figure out exactly what is happening.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:43:42 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
when I boot up my MAME machine windows thinks there is a constant input from the player 1 rotary.
Sounds like either the rotary encoder isn't initializing properly due to an intermittent/corrupted firmware or maybe an unused contact on the daisy-chain ground for the buttons/sticks is shorting against the rotary encoder PCB.

I did notice in MAME it shows 10 instances of the rotary joysticks, could that be part of the issue?
Not sure if this is a symptom of the encoder not initializing properly or if there is a separate issue with Windows.   :dunno

As I understand the Ikari sticks they are essentially 12 contact closures with each rotation position represented by a different keystroke.
there must be a difference in the iPac configuration, wiring, or the keys you are mapping.
The U/D/L/R microswitches on a mechanical rotary joystick do work with a typical encoder like an IPac.

The rotary part is a 12-position rotary switch (blue), but the rotary encoder on the PCB has it's own USB connection and does not work like an IPac.

The 12 contacts are connected in 3 groups.
- A includes contacts 1, 4, 7, and 10
- B includes contacts 2, 5, 8, and 11
- C includes contacts 3, 6, 9, and 12

The rotary encoder sends one short keystroke pulse when you turn one click clockwise from A=>B, B=>C, or C=>A.

The rotary encoder sends a different short keystroke pulse when you turn one click counter-clockwise from A=>C, C=>B, or B=>A.

You can define the rotary encoder keystrokes/button presses and “Switch Debounce” (pulse duration) via the WinIPAC program.
http://www.ultimarc.com/12wayrotary.pdf

Scott

Classic 80s Gamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2022, 07:54:37 am
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Shron24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2022, 03:10:02 pm
Re: USB issues? Ultimarc Ikari rotary acts like it is permanently spinning
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 03:30:24 pm »
I have similar issues with my ultimarc ikari 12-way add-on.  I have a semi-simlar setup to the Original Poster (OP from here) with a few extra controls.  I recently got around to installing my 12-way add-on. Bought end of summer, installed middle of fall.  I found that for the most part, I got it dialed into ikari warriors, but whenever anybody gets into the heat of the moment and does a quick left then right rotation,  I get the same repeating as the OP and windows thinks I have a key held down. I have to disconnect the 12-way USB to get things to operate normal again. This behavior is the same in MAME as in windows. a quick zip left and right and  [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[or ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] on to infinity in notepad and the computer appears to lock up.  ( am using those keys for the left and right rotation.)  1) were you ever able to get a fix or solve it.  2) I have messed around with the debounce options in the 12-way config. I didn't notice any difference. I tried USB hub and Direct to system. I was going to poke more at it over the holidays.   

UPDATE 12/21/21 7:40PM

I heard back from Andy at Ultimarc. He provided me with an updated firmware.   Load that up via his directions and everything is working correctly.  (Thanks Andy for the fast response and help appreciate it)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 10:42:09 pm by Shron24 »