Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Updating GroovyMAME from 0.182  (Read 4732 times)

Slider1385

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2021, 06:17:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Updating GroovyMAME from 0.182
« on: July 21, 2021, 06:17:54 pm »
I'm trying to update my cab from when I configured it all years ago. It's currently running GroovyMAME 0.182 great. I tried updating to the current GroovyMAME and CRTemudriver packages, but the current version is giving me multiple errors. I'm getting a "switchres could not find a video mode that meet your specs" followed by a "Unable to create a Direct3D device" error.

I've searched for a topic about updating GroovyMAME from such an old version, but couldn't really find much info. I tried just overwriting the .182 folder with the 0.233 files as well as a new folder for the 0.233 Groovy setup.  When I do the separate folders the 0.233 crashes, but my 0.182 still works just fine.

Any help would be much appreciated, It's been a few years since I've messed with the cabinet, so I'm a bit rusty with the steps needed, but it's starting to come back to me.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Updating GroovyMAME from 0.182
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 01:00:12 pm »
You're probably using the older version of the drivers (12.6). New GM can only use that version for legacy (pre-HD 5000) cards.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

arkive

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2024, 08:23:10 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 11:00:30 am »
Hi folks, long time lurker and admirer of Calamity's work here. Hearty thank you from me, and all my CRTs :)

Somewhere last year I did finally get all the gear togeteher and installed crtemudriver+ GM. It seemed to be working rather well, with only some positioning/size issues present. I left it as is and didn't get in a top shape then - got distracted by fiddling with MiSTer.

Now I wanted to have another stab at it, update, and fine tune everything properly. Glad to hear new GM and Switchres is out. I downloaded the latest GM, heeded the advice to "just unpack and run it" - and then the program starts but closes almost instantly. Was wondering, is there anything I should actually do before running it? Any ideas would be most appreciated.

My setup atm is Win10 with ATI 6450HD, crtemudriver 2.0 (16.2). The old GM install is 0.222.017, with corresponding romset - this is still working fine. I reinstalled the modelines.  I can post more info or logs, though not sure how to make one (have tried but failed - again, mame runs and closes instantly).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 01:52:00 pm »
Hi arkive,

Check my signature for creating a log. Do it from command line.

Once I see the log I'll be able to point you in the right direction hopefully.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

arkive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 06:09:50 am »
Thanks for replying. It's a bit embarassing - I missed the "<" during my previous attempt...sigh.

Here it is.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 07:50:46 am »
Just like the OP, your problem is that you're likely using the old version based on 12.6. Please use the one based on 16.2.1, to save you time, it's this one.
Steps to create a log:

arkive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 02:36:26 pm »
Thanks, it's working now, it was the drivers indeed. Another embarrassment - I usually make sure my setup is fully up to date before reporting problems...

Two things I wanted to ask about:

- when I try to Save Configuration from Settings submenu, GM crashes and displays this error:
Code: [Select]
Caught unhandled 25options warning exception exception: illegal boolean value for keepaspect "48";reverting to 1
-vertical games run too fast. When I change Frame Delay in menu to 1, they are okay. Any way to avoid this permanently? EDIT: I've just seen this thread, perhaps the same issue?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 02:38:53 pm by arkive »

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 03:11:20 pm »
Sorry to hijack, but I figured a new thread was dumb for such a simple minor problem.

On a PC with old version on the drivers, only GM 227 works. GM 232 crashes with stack crawl. Do I have to uninstall the old version of the driver first? I tried running just the setup for new driver and it doesn't show any devices. What's the easiest way to update CRT EMU to use the latest version of GM? I haven't touched this PC for a couple of years and wanted just to ask before I tinkered around. 

arkive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 08:40:57 am »
With crtemudriver I prefer to start from scratch, so I used DDU from safe mode, removed current drivers, installed the new ones and redid the modelines.

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 03:45:36 pm »
I just reformatted my HDD and redid everything from scratch because I couldn't figure out why Hyperspin couldn't play MP4 videos. Google was no help. A reformat plus reinstall of everything completely fixed the problem and GroovyMAME is running Amazing!!

Now I just have to hunt down a decent updated mame.xml that's current and use a tool to rename everything to match the XML so HS displays all the stuff in my setup correctly, but otherwise I'm completely golden with the play-ability of GM on my CRT 

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 02:35:43 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 03:08:59 am »
You get the xml file from the downloads at the mame website or from the command line of mame

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 10:44:58 am »
It's possible the OP was still using the old mame.ini file. I've made that mistake before.