Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch in arcade cab-- keep powered on at all times?  (Read 6460 times)

marioxb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 01:54:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
So is there a way to permanantly mount a Switch in an arcade cabinet and never have to touch the power button and never use a bluetooth controller? I'd like to have hardwired USB joysticks, but I don't think they have a way to "wake" the system? Not to mention if the system is fully off. Is there maybe an internal mod to make the system "always on", so cutting/ restoring the power would turn the system off/ on? Anyone have experience with this?

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
Re: Nintendo Switch in arcade cab-- keep powered on at all times?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 11:50:21 am »
The right side joycon should have an IR unit in it that will turn on the switch remotely. At least AUTHENTIC ones do. One option would be to hack a joycon's button by extending it out to a physical button on the cab and have it aimed at the switch inside the cab. This is a theoretical solution, not something that has been done that I am aware of.

EDIT: Also, pro controllers will wake it up by pressing Home+Capture (or just home if latest firmware has been applied), you could hack one of those as well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:55:33 am by Phreakwars »

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:24:29 am »
The right side joycon should have an IR unit in it that will turn on the switch remotely. At least AUTHENTIC ones do. One option would be to hack a joycon's button by extending it out to a physical button on the cab and have it aimed at the switch inside the cab. This is a theoretical solution, not something that has been done that I am aware of.

EDIT: Also, pro controllers will wake it up by pressing Home+Capture (or just home if latest firmware has been applied), you could hack one of those as well.

Thanks. I was hoping there was a way to bypass the whole sleep/ wake thing and just give it a power on/ off button as in an NES/SNES/N64/GCN (Maybe Wii and Wii U, can't remember).

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 11:23:44 am »
I just remembered that the dang console needs to be charged. So I guess it'll have to be permanently connected to power, and just the monitor and other things would he turned off.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 05:53:47 pm »
put a dock inside the coin door. reach in, grab the switch, power it up, set it back in the dock. dock can feed the monitor and keep the switch charged when not in use.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 09:18:10 pm »
Great idea, thanks!