Main > Main Forum

World Series Baseball 99 - Arcade Build HELP!!

(1/9) > >>

Nitro0602:
Hey guys, I wanted to either remake this machine or use an existing pedestal machine I have.
Biggest question is I wanted to include the bat on the control panel.. anyway of doing that? Picture of the control panel attached. I used to play this game back in uni and would love to play this to my son as well. The bat winds back and release to hit the ball.

Thanks!

NuclearWarren:
I think you could map the analog inputs to an analog USB stick to see if that gets any results. If you can get ahold of one of those spring loaded flick sticks, then you could wire that to a Teensy and program it to output the analog range the game is looking for. I wired and programmed one of those for the game Quarterback. It would be vertical, not horizontal like the original, but would perform the same way.

You could scratch make one, you'd need a pot and a spring loaded handle, again wiring it to a Teensy with the right script. I also wired a gas pedal which is the same thing, a spring loaded lever with a pot.

PL1:

--- Quote from: Nitro0602 on July 08, 2021, 10:44:27 am ---I wanted to either remake this machine or use an existing pedestal machine I have.
Biggest question is I wanted to include the bat on the control panel.. anyway of doing that?

--- End quote ---
There are two main areas you'll need to deal with to recreate that Super Major League / World Series Baseball (GDS-0010) (wsbbgd in MAME?) panel from scratch.

1. An analog (potentiometer) encoder -- the easy part.
- Lots of choices like A-Pac, U-HID, gamepad hack, or a 32u4 series Arduino or AVR board like the Teensy that NuclearWarren suggested.
- The two joysticks on that panel are analog and so are the two bats.  You'll need a total of six analog axes. (see page 41 of the manual here for the schematic diagram)

2. The physical setup of a spring-loaded potentiometer -- the challenging part.
- Check out Menace's SW Yoke scratch-build for some ideas.  http://arcadecontrols.com/hosted/yoke/
- He used the springs from 5 ˝”-8” plate hangers.

- You should only need one spring per bat.

- I recommend using a direct drive system with a shaft coupler instead of gears.

- To maintain smoothly increasing spring tension through the 180 degrees of travel, you'll want something round for the spring to wrap around.  The cotter pin setup shown above will cause a non-linear increase in spring tension.  You can either design and 3d print a part or use three hole saw cutouts -- one for the spring to wrap around sandwiched between two larger ones that keep the spring from slipping off the side.

- You might want to use stop blocks on the shaft and control body so the spring doesn't damage the potentiometer.

Scott

Nitro0602:
That is so cool, first time hearing about that board. Seems to be a bit out of my expertise to be honest. Does anyone know how the original mechanics was done? I’ll do a bit more research on the Teensey board. Thanks and appreciate the reply!

--- Quote from: NuclearWarren on July 08, 2021, 02:12:59 pm ---I think you could map the analog inputs to an analog USB stick to see if that gets any results. If you can get ahold of one of those spring loaded flick sticks, then you could wire that to a Teensy and program it to output the analog range the game is looking for. I wired and programmed one of those for the game Quarterback. It would be vertical, not horizontal like the original, but would perform the same way.

You could scratch make one, you'd need a pot and a spring loaded handle, again wiring it to a Teensy with the right script. I also wired a gas pedal which is the same thing, a spring loaded lever with a pot.

--- End quote ---

Nitro0602:
That’s cool thx! I have a 4 player pedestal I made using 4 PS4 encoders. Was thinking of using 2 of the joysticks: one joystick to aim and the second joystick to swing..(pressing up to swing and down to bunt) however the positioning won’t be the same as per the original, but serves its purpose. I would like to actually make a custom bat controller like the game one day… I’ll do a bit more research in the meantime.

--- Quote from: PL1 on July 08, 2021, 07:42:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: Nitro0602 on July 08, 2021, 10:44:27 am ---I wanted to either remake this machine or use an existing pedestal machine I have.
Biggest question is I wanted to include the bat on the control panel.. anyway of doing that?

--- End quote ---
There are two main areas you'll need to deal with to recreate that Super Major League / World Series Baseball (GDS-0010) (wsbbgd in MAME?) panel from scratch.

1. An analog (potentiometer) encoder -- the easy part.
- Lots of choices like A-Pac, U-HID, gamepad hack, or a 32u4 series Arduino or AVR board like the Teensy that NuclearWarren suggested.
- The two joysticks on that panel are analog and so are the two bats.  You'll need a total of six analog axes. (see page 41 of the manual here for the schematic diagram)

2. The physical setup of a spring-loaded potentiometer -- the challenging part.
- Check out Menace's SW Yoke scratch-build for some ideas.  http://arcadecontrols.com/hosted/yoke/
- He used the springs from 5 ˝”-8” plate hangers.

- You should only need one spring per bat.

- I recommend using a direct drive system with a shaft coupler instead of gears.

- To maintain smoothly increasing spring tension through the 180 degrees of travel, you'll want something round for the spring to wrap around.  The cotter pin setup shown above will cause a non-linear increase in spring tension.  You can either design and 3d print a part or use three hole saw cutouts -- one for the spring to wrap around sandwiched between two larger ones that keep the spring from slipping off the side.

- You might want to use stop blocks on the shaft and control body so the spring doesn't damage the potentiometer.

Scott

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version