Main > Artwork

How would you make an accurate vector template for an arcade stick panel?

(1/2) > >>

Gunstar:
Hello, I've been wanting to customize some of my older arcade sticks and was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to go about getting accurate results?

For example, I have this Hori Soulcalibur stick that has some strange angles on it and was wondering how I would go about making a vector template in something like Affinity Designer (I have an old illustrator version too). I'm new to vector programs but have a little understanding (making curves with a pen tool!)

I assume I should be trying to measure against straights to get the angles right? Is there a bit of trial and error when getting subtle curves right?

The other option I thought about was just tracing a pencil outline but not 100% sure on how to get it to be an accurate recreation when it comes to printing off the artwork.

Any tips or links to tutorials would be most welcome!

lilshawn:
step 1: take a pic of your stick with a ruler.
step 2: stop laughing. this pic should be taken directly overhead as possible. the pic you took already is really good, just needs a ruler.
step 3: open pic in your graphics editor.
step 4: scale your photo so your scale fits the ruler in the pic. (IE draw a 1x1 or an 8x8 box and then scale the pic up or down to match the ruler measurement)
step 5: congrats, you have a scale accurate 1:1 pic of your stick. e-mail it to girls, or draw out your artwork now...artwork will be 1:1 and will print accurately (enough)
step 6: ?????
step 7: profit.

alternately:

step 1a: get a caliper and measure the crap out of every angle, side, dimensions up down all around and plunk the numbers into your editor.
step 2a: get frustrated cause you misplaced a decimal somewhere and start at "step 1" above

PL1:
The one thing I would add as step 4a to lilshawn's process is add a separate layer for your artwork above the 1:1 photo.
- This way you can switch the photo layer view on/off as desired.

Scott

Gunstar:
@lilshawn - haha thank you that was insightful and funny! I think that's helped, if I have a known size (e.g a ruler or exact diameter of the buttons) I should be able to make sure the sizes are correct based on that 'known'. I have a caliper so I should be able to start with accurate buttons and then use comparative measurements (I hope!)

@PL1 - That's a good idea, I think I might start with the tracing of the plate and also a photo of the stick itself.

Thank you both! Looking forward to learning how to do this and I'll probably be back to ask for more help. Cheers.

yamatetsu:
If you want to go the measuring route, you might try this.

Step 1

Controller: Measure the length of the <top line> and of the <bottom line>. Measure the distance between the two, this will become the <center line>.

Image: Make a horizontal line the length of <bottom line>. Make a vertical line the length of <center line>. Move <center line> so that it's bottom end point meets the center point of <bottom> line.
Make a horizontal line the length of <top line>. Move <top line> so that the center point of <top line> meets the top end point of <center line>.

Step 2

Controller: Measure the length of <top line 2>. Measure the distance between <top line> and <top line 2>, this will become <center line top>.

Image: Make a vertical line the length of <center line top>. Move <center line top> so it's top end point meets the center point of <top line>.
Make a horizontal line the length of <top line 2>. Move <top line 2> so that the center of <top line 2> meets the bottom end point of <center line top>.

Step 3

Controller: Measure the length of <bottom line 2>. Measure the distance between <bottom line> and <bottom line 2>, this will become <center line bottom>.

Image: Make a vertical line the length of <center line bottom>. Move <center line bottom> so it's bottom end point meets the center point of <bottom line>.
Make a horizontal line the length of <bottom line 2>. Move <bottom line 2> so that the center of <bottom line 2> meets the top end point of <center line bottom>.

Step 4

Image: Connect the end points of the lines to get your shape.

Step 5

Image: Remove the inner lines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version