Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo Playchoice 10 Joystick Bearing Bad?  (Read 4833 times)

Sig00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 06:12:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Nintendo Playchoice 10 Joystick Bearing Bad?
« on: June 29, 2021, 01:41:32 am »
Hey Arcade Controls, first off let me say that this is my first cabinet and my first time trying to repair one.

I bought a Playchoice 10 cabinet a few years and the P1 joystick has always been quite loose/has a lot of play in it. P2 isn't so bad. I decided it's about time I dig in and fix up the P1 joystick so it's fun to use again. I wasn't sure exactly what was wrong, so I learned how to take these completely apart and then I swapped out the spring, spring stopper, and switch collar from the P2 joystick to the P1 joystick and it was still equally as loose which made me rule those out as the issue. This has made me think that the bearing that the joystick shaft goes through may be the actual issue. Do these generally get worn down over time and cause the looseness issue I'm describing? After looking at everything, I believe the control panel is still the original one from when it was used by a business.

If it is the bearing, is there generally any way to fix that issue specifically or will I need to replace the whole joystick assembly?

Thanks in advance!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Nintendo Playchoice 10 Joystick Bearing Bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 03:51:34 pm »
What kind of joystick is your Playchioce 10 using? Was it a dedicated cabinet or a conversion from Donkey Kong or something?

Anyway, most Nintendo joysticks of that era are all metal. The bearing included. I'm not sure it could cause problems. And in my experience, you want that bearing to be pretty free-flowing.

What about the switches? Or the restrictor plate? If the restrictor plate is worn down it could cause the joystick to feel loose. Or if the tabs on the switches are stretched out.

The 8-way restrictor guide plates look like this: https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=TNX-23-18

Sig00

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 06:12:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 06:08:47 pm »
What kind of joystick is your Playchioce 10 using? Was it a dedicated cabinet or a conversion from Donkey Kong or something?

Anyway, most Nintendo joysticks of that era are all metal. The bearing included. I'm not sure it could cause problems. And in my experience, you want that bearing to be pretty free-flowing.

What about the switches? Or the restrictor plate? If the restrictor plate is worn down it could cause the joystick to feel loose. Or if the tabs on the switches are stretched out.

The 8-way restrictor guide plates look like this: https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=TNX-23-18

I'm not super experienced, but I believe it's a dedicated cabinet and not a conversion. The restrictor plate still looks good, the "looseness" of the joystick is far before it hits the edge of the joystick as well. Switches definitely need replacement too, but it's not those causing the looseness (I switched those over too). The stick has almost 0 resistance for the first half inch in each direction and then past that it gets some resistance and then hits the switches. My P2 joystick is tight and has resistance immediately, no half inch play.

The bearing does indeed appear to be metal so it would be surprising to me if it's worn down so much, but I don't really understand what else it could be.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 10:41:44 am »
Take apart both joysticks and compare the two.... whatever is different is obviously the problelm.