Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: High power, low capacity UPS backup power?  (Read 7223 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
High power, low capacity UPS backup power?
« on: June 27, 2021, 06:30:57 pm »
My 3D print was messed up by a one second long power outage.  It was a small test piece, but I am planning larger things that will take days to print.

So I'm looking into UPS battery backups.  The occasional electrical outages I experience are just a blip; just long enough to reset the clock on the microwave.
I hate to pay $160-200 for a large UPS knowing that it will degrade and become worthless over time.  I also don't need the big storage capacity.

I do need the large wattage rating though.  Does anyone make a small (<$50) UPS that doesn't shrink the wattage along with the battery size?
Is there some other cheap device that I might be able to get away with?

I have the kill-a-watt knockoff out to see how much power the printer is actually drawing, but have to wait for the current print to finish.
Also.....giving this some more thought....It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the 110v to the heated bed were cut for a second.  The raspberry pi only needs a 5v dc backup and the SKR boards need 24v dc.

EDIT: printer topped out at 541 watts while heating the bed to 110, heating the hotend to 200, & homing simultaneously.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:06:14 pm by BadMouth »

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:49:13 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
Re: High power, low capacity UPS backup power?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:29:56 am »
APC UPS 850VA runs $125 at Amazon.   Replacement batteries $35.   Anything in the range you want to spend isn't going to give you the watts you are seeking.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 06:34:12 am »
Staples regularly has coupons to get a decent amount off if you spend more than I think 100 so check there first.   Other than that I don't know how to help as UPS are just expensive.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:15:12 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 08:09:32 am »
Does anybody here have a 3D printer that ---smurfing--- works?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 09:42:30 am »
Thanks for the input.  Gonna keep my eyes on slickdeals for a refurb.  There was a big one for around $80 a couple months ago.  Hopefully another comes up in that price range.

It's a horrible, time consuming hobby.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 10:12:02 am »
I mean..... if the price of the UPS pays for itself in the cost of saved prints, its a no brainer.  I'm in the middle of redoing my adorable little server rack area (taking the servers off the wall mount and getting an actual rack for the basement) and I dropped the coin on 2 real rack mount UPSs (APC 2200s , $900+ EACH) to replace the standing APC one. The standing one will likely get repurposed, but I already have a BR1000G for my desktop. 

Sometimes hobbies arent cheap and you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:11:06 am by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 11:20:38 am »
I doubt it would pay for itself in saved prints.  It's more about the hassle of starting a multi-day print over and the fact that I've already gone so far over budget building this thing.
I have a 36 hour print that I want to start today, so I went ahead and bought this APC Pro 1000 for $110-$20 coupon code=$90. 
https://www.staples.com/apc-back-ups-pro-1000-va-ups-8-outlets-black-bx1000m-lm60/product_24414117

Thought I was going to have to pay double that for one with high enough wattage.
In the end, trying to come up with schemes to get by with a $50 solution would end up costing way more time than the $40 saved.

Thanks everyone for your input.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 04:55:18 pm »
I'm in the same predicament. I've got some long running projects I want to print on my 3D printer and should probably have a UPS to avoid any outages. Are those Staples coupons easy to come by?  I tried Google and didn't find a code that works. Seems like $90 is a pretty good price for that unit...

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 05:27:41 pm »
I'm in the same predicament. I've got some long running projects I want to print on my 3D printer and should probably have a UPS to avoid any outages. Are those Staples coupons easy to come by?  I tried Google and didn't find a code that works. Seems like $90 is a pretty good price for that unit...
The one I used was from wired: https://www.wired.com/coupons/staples

A smaller printer could get away with a smaller backup.
I'm running this on a 350x350 Voron with a 110v heater on a 14" aluminum tooling plate.
It pulled 540 watts coming up to temp and moving at the same time, but while printing it is only pulling 170-270 watts.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 08:34:00 pm »
The one I used was from wired: https://www.wired.com/coupons/staples

A smaller printer could get away with a smaller backup.
I'm running this on a 350x350 Voron with a 110v heater on a 14" aluminum tooling plate.
It pulled 540 watts coming up to temp and moving at the same time, but while printing it is only pulling 170-270 watts.

Thanks for the info. Worked like a charm!  :cheers:

I've got a Creality CR10S Pro with a 300x300 aluminum bed. I did a quick Google search and it looks like it can use up to 500 watts when warming up. I connect to it using Octoprint on a PC. I will probably put that on there as well to make sure both stay up and running during an outage. Hopefully the UPS will cover both for a short time.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 01:57:35 pm »

I do.  Every time I replace a broken one with a new one and spend 4 hours getting it set up and working.

When I retire, I might have the time to fix all of them and be able to print all the robotic prostheses I'll probably need by then.  Could be a "chicken and egg" scenario though.  I'll report back when I find out :lol

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 02:44:45 pm »
My 3D print was messed up by a one second long power outage.  It was a small test piece, but I am planning larger things that will take days to print.

So I'm looking into UPS battery backups.  The occasional electrical outages I experience are just a blip; just long enough to reset the clock on the microwave.
I hate to pay $160-200 for a large UPS knowing that it will degrade and become worthless over time.  I also don't need the big storage capacity.

Check out the DIY solar forums.  Some of those all-in-one charge controller/Pure Sine Wave inverter units can provide plenty of power and if you go with a LiFePo4 battery, it can last a decade or more when used as a UPS for short intervals.  You could even set up a small solar panel to keep the battery topped off, but many of the charge controllers will happily charge the battery off the grid, with no solar panels attached and they only take a max of 10ms to switch to battery when the grid goes out.

The cost can get up there, depending on the size, but you can size them for your needs and it will be an investment which won't poop out on you in a year like cheap UPS's do.   If you get a large enough battery, you can even keep some lights on when the power goes down.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 09:42:36 am »
Had thunder, lightning, and high winds last night with 15% left on a 36 hour print.
Electric didn't go out, but I was very glad I bought the backup power supply.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 03:20:55 am »

It works when the print sticks to the bed.

Well nearly....

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 03:27:11 am »

Go to Best Buy.  They always ---fudgesicle--- up on the pricing, as I got two BX1000M-LM60 ADC 1000VAC for $70 and they were priced $130.

The manager had to let me have them at the lower price. 

These are really good for PC setups, Arcade cabs and probably 3D Printers I guess.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 10:01:11 am »
Run it off a generator?

:dunno

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2021, 11:44:06 am »

It works when the print sticks to the bed.

Well nearly....

All my printers are broken right now. LOL!
my big one needs a new extruder (which i have that i havn't installed)
my second biggest one the ptfe connector gave out, which i have but havn't put in.
my 3rd printer, the extruder broke. i replaced that but need to calibrate the e-steps.
my 4th printer was working fine last week now it's tossing out over temp errors and stops printing. but i think this is an issue with the latest release of cura tossing some new start commands that marlin4MPMD doesn't like.

my resin printer...I have the new screen and the fep to install but havn't.

But, it's summer, no time to work on them right now because i'm out side doing stuff.
it's ok. 3d printing has been a winter hobby for me anyways.
if i really need one i can probably fix one in a few hours.

but....they all printed for a yr or more without any major problems and i've had them all run day+ jobs with almost no failures.
so i guess when they work, they work well.
when they break, they really break.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:14:43 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2021, 09:20:51 pm »
I mean..... if the price of the UPS pays for itself in the cost of saved prints, its a no brainer.  I'm in the middle of redoing my adorable little server rack area (taking the servers off the wall mount and getting an actual rack for the basement) and I dropped the coin on 2 real rack mount UPSs (APC 2200s , $900+ EACH) to replace the standing APC one. The standing one will likely get repurposed, but I already have a BR1000G for my desktop. 

Sometimes hobbies arent cheap and you get what you pay for.

Imma show my partner that pic. The top half she'll like, the bottom, well I think she'll have a conniption

😄
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:56:11 pm by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2021, 09:39:28 pm »
Imma show my partner that pic. The top half she'll like, the bottom, well I think she'll have a condition

😄
Well, she can rest easy knowing I cleaned up the wiring.

I still havent set up the new SAN :(
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.