Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: T-molding slot off center  (Read 5915 times)

DalyTek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2022, 07:59:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
T-molding slot off center
« on: June 14, 2021, 04:26:28 pm »
Hi all.  Been reading a lot on here, thank you for all the help you didn't even know you were giving me!
I am trying to build my own arcade cabinet, and so far it is going really well, but I ran into an issue when routing the slots for the T-molding. 
On the left side panel, the channel came out pretty well.  However, the right panel, for some strange reason, is decently off center. 
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to make this look nice?
It's 3/4" MDF, if that helps at all.
Thanks again for any and all advice!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: T-molding slot off center
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 05:50:04 pm »
I have found that sometimes the depth setting on certain routers will 'walk' off their initial spot after a long sustained cut.
I always check mine in between long cuts to double check (using a scrap piece of ply.)

If you already routed the entire slot and it is off a little then best bet is just install it and use a trimmer to clean it up.

https://www.t-molding.com/quad-edge-trimmer.html

If it is off a LOT and will bother you then sadly, it's probably bondo time.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

DalyTek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 08:31:45 pm »
I have found that sometimes the depth setting on certain routers will 'walk' off their initial spot after a long sustained cut.
I always check mine in between long cuts to double check (using a scrap piece of ply.)

If you already routed the entire slot and it is off a little then best bet is just install it and use a trimmer to clean it up.

https://www.t-molding.com/quad-edge-trimmer.html

If it is off a LOT and will bother you then sadly, it's probably bondo time.

Thank you for the advice.  That must be what happened.  I checked it several times with scrap before I locked in the settings.  The first side turned out decent.  Second side...not so good.

Sadly, yes, I routed all the way around both side panels.  I'm afraid it will be off too much to look decent and not bother me.  So just mix up a batch of Bondo and fill the slot all the way around, then re-slot?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 01:28:46 am »
The bondo should fix er up.
Should be strong enough to slot and have it hold.

I use slow kick aluzine epoxy with microballons for that kind of stuff personally but not many have access to that zssortment of crap.

Maybe someone else will chime in to second the opinion that bondo is adequate!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 12:27:39 pm »
Been there done that.  I've had a slot start out perfectly centered and then drift along the way.  I've filled in the slot with Minwax wood filler which is a two part epoxy just like bondo.  Either one will work.  With that stuff you could probably re-cut the slot within an hour.

jaywv1981

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2022, 10:14:07 am
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 03:49:53 pm »
I've never cut a T Molding slot I've been satisfied with lol.  I typically use U molding.  It only comes in black that I know of but is easily spray painted any color and looks great.

DalyTek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 03:17:35 pm »
I cut off a small piece of my T-molding and put it into the slot and it actually does line up fairly well.  Thankfully, the slot looks way more off-center than the installed T-molding does. 
Thanks for all the help everyone!