Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Serial Port Touchscreen to USB Adapter  (Read 6096 times)

MasterOfNone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2022, 12:19:24 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Serial Port Touchscreen to USB Adapter
« on: May 31, 2021, 02:19:56 am »
Hope everyone's finding time for game projects this holiday weekend, at least wherever it's too rainy to go outside anyway. :)
Megatouch already has drivers for both serial com port and usb touchscreens, but if the serial port is shot or missing from the mobo and I still need to use a serial touchscreen, do you know what serial to USB adapter cable would work? The old adapters I already have laying around either depend on drivers standard in typical PC OS's, online downloads, or have a companion CD intended for use with a typical PC...

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:29:37 pm
Re: Megatouch Serial Port Touchscreen to USB Adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 07:15:07 am »
None will work out of the box.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:59:19 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:05:10 am »
a usb-serial adapter emulates a serial port... so the computer needs to recognize that the usbdevice IS a serial port... which is something you can't easily slot into the OS, since you'd need to install a "driver" to do it.

when you inset a usb device your computer asks what it is. "imma usb to serial port device" it says "sorry, i got nothing here for you kthxbye". whereas the touchscreen says "imma 3m microtouch touchscreen" and the computer goes, "yeup i got your files right here you can speak to me"

a usb to serial doesn't just change from one pinout to another, it's a whole different protocol.

can you adapter a parallel to 25pserial to 9pserial to ps2 to usb? yes.

does it work? no.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 11:09:36 am by lilshawn »

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 01:00:18 am »
Thanks guys. I figured as much, but was hoping for a miracle or super-coder who'd know how to get an adapter driver installed by some creative or just laborious means.  Guess it ain't worth it, and I'll do better to either replace the touchscreen or the mobo to eliminate any need for an adapter...

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:29:37 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 07:11:50 pm »
How Linux savvy are you?

Make a symbolic link from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyS0 and watch the magic happen. This works in Ion 2009.5+. Not sure if other kernels support.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:13:50 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 09:31:11 pm »
a usb-serial adapter emulates a serial port... so the computer needs to recognize that the usbdevice IS a serial port... which is something you can't easily slot into the OS, since you'd need to install a "driver" to do it.

when you inset a usb device your computer asks what it is. "imma usb to serial port device" it says "sorry, i got nothing here for you kthxbye". whereas the touchscreen says "imma 3m microtouch touchscreen" and the computer goes, "yeup i got your files right here you can speak to me"

a usb to serial doesn't just change from one pinout to another, it's a whole different protocol.

can you adapter a parallel to 25pserial to 9pserial to ps2 to usb? yes.

does it work? no.
I have that same setup including the usb thumb drive. Is it 4gb?

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 04:08:54 am »
How Linux savvy are you?

Make a symbolic link from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyS0 and watch the magic happen. This works in Ion 2009.5+. Not sure if other kernels support.

Whatever the opposite of savvy is, that's me with Linux, heh, but just like I'm gonna find time to practice piano someday when I retire from the rat-race, likely when I'm in a convalescent home, I'll also be honing various coding skills, assuming the tree-bark cereal I eat for breakfast and avoidance of saturated fat lets me live long enough. ;)  But seriously..., thanks for the tip. Great to know it's do-able, and I might actually be able to figure that out if I could clear a few hours to fiddle with it and nag Linux pals only a tad bit.