Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Maybe we should call this one "I Need an Intervention"  (Read 15828 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:50:40 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Maybe we should call this one "I Need an Intervention"
« on: May 22, 2021, 03:30:04 am »
SOoooo.....

I have been excited about building something that wasn't emulation.

Apparently I'm taking baby steps.

Somehow got lucky enough to be in on a recent batch of Jrok Multi-Williams boards and since I still can't stop playing Stargate (even though I REALLY suck at it) I figured a dedicated machine (which actually existed in the wild?!) was a must.

If for no other reason than I can actually have something to play while I continue to fight with software on
EVERY
OTHER
MACHINE
I
HAVE
BUILT
(except the 60 in 1 bartop- but that REALLY doesn't count.)

Anyway, I built a bench unit of the Jrok a few weeks ago to make sure I could actually get it to work and I was excited to see that I wasn't completely incompetent-

So here we go!

Was proud of myself that I cut every panel necessary for this thing (including the bevels to accommodate proper mating- and slot routing for t-moulding too) in 4 hours.
Of course that doesn't count the hour I spent making a template weeks ago (how long does this take normal people?!) or the time I spent with graph paper, a pencil, bevel square, protractor, a profile silhouette of a Defender off the internets and a calculator to make something that would fit into the knee-wall dimensions of the arcade loft reasonably-

Yeesh.

And so- why not gang cut if you have a wormdrive saw with a lot of mass to it?!
Certainly saves time-

Just leave the things clamped together after, and a light sand and routing takes less time and yields an adequate result.

And after I ripped a third sheet into 25" wide chunks so I could make all the other bits...

And now that it is 9:30 pm out here in the middle of nowhere...  wp34 has unwittingly encouraged me to mix a proper MaiTai  :D and see if the primer I have a bucket of still will work on wood too.

Anybody know where one could still buy a stencil kit for a full size upright Defender style Multi-Williams?!
 :)

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
Re: Maybe we should call this one "I Need an Intervention"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 05:40:10 am »
I skipped the MaiTai and went straight to priming-

Glad I dug around in the paint can pile because I had forgotten that I still had some quick dry alkyd primer from doing the fascia on the house.

Of course I was trying to not kill more brain cells and was a good boy and painted them outside and then it starting sprinkling on my work so had to move it all into the shop.

At least this weekend I should be able to make the speaker, vent and coin door hole decisions and paint and assemble this one.

6 man hours deep
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 07:52:32 am »
Thus guy has stencils, but he is really slow.

https://thisoldgame.com/shop/ols/products/stargate-stencil-set

You will need to send him an email and ask when and if he will have what you want.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 07:54:43 am »
Nice work.

Your path to the dark side is almost complete.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 09:06:08 am »
Damn bobby you are really inspired these days!  Great start.   :cheers:

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 09:51:29 am »
Great start!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)

ps. clean that car!!!!  :laugh2:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 07:44:38 pm »
Thank you everyone!
I'm looking forward to playing it.

Appreciate the link Mike A.
I was wondering if they still have those files to be able to print.
Sideart will probably be done after it is playable I bet.
I'll be able to fake original coin door panel stuff with some masking tape and a roller.

The car is yet another project.
Too much arcade cabinet stuff in the way so I have needed to build some things to make room in the shop for the car
 :D

This afternoon it (the cabinet that is) will get a light sanding and some black paint at least.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:33:55 am
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 01:03:51 pm »
Views are stunning of course :D
Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 04:24:41 am »
The view does not suck Zebidee!
You will have to bring the crew to see it in person once all this crap has blown over.

And for the love of Pete...

FINALLY got to actually start putting the damn cabinet together.

Base with overly cool casters and glued 2x2 frame to screw everything to for a solid foundation.

The paint thing has eluded me.
Finally discovered that sanding with 120 and then a round of not so expensive Behr Paint/Primer from Home Cheapo is quite adequate.

No offense intended to those building works of art here (as there are many!) but the intent of this particular thing is to be low impact and as authentic as I can pull off- so no need for a bunch of anal retentive prep, primer and other wise if you are going for authentic cabinet vibe.

Sand
Wipe off the dust
Roll on the paint
Let it dry in the sun
Repeat the last two steps another two times

Done.

Even at $100/4x10 sheet out here, using 2 (or even 3 if it needs it) pieces of formica laminate per cabinet seems so much more economical (because it takes a HELL of a lot less time- and will be way more durable!!!)

I look forward to building some more outlandish stuff in the future still of course, but any "normal" cab from here on out gets formica.

Acrylic paint on plywood is a total waste of time.

Enough rant-
Finally got to tack the sides into place.

The floor in my shop absolutely SUCKS so trying to find a level spot so something doesn't rack is a serious exercise.

I took a break for some dinner but I think I will get back at it.

Time for another MaiTai and to tack some more panels together.

...and maybe start with a little fake stencil work?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 05:45:52 am »
Heh, I've seen that the price of plywood sheets have hit stratospheric levels in the USA now.

If you want the authentic look you'd better get a worn-out monitor, mis-fitting buttons and when it comes to T-molding time make sure to pay attention to detail and put some cigarette burns into it. You don't actually have to smoke the death-stick yourself - feel free to self-pollute, but you can also fake it with a burning twig or whatever.

I was only half-serious in the last paragraph - just half ;)

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 06:07:06 am »
Guess I don't really mean THAT authentic  :lol

I have vowed to only smoke if I have been set on fire  :)

Material costs for pretty much everything have gone insane- and that is for what little you can find.
As far as electrical work goes, if you priced a job more than 6 months ago and didn't already buy the material, you are going to lose your ass on anything you do.

It is crazy.  But on a more fun note...!

Decided I couldn't wait and needed to start on something to make this less of just a black box.
The coin door looks easy to fake and I happen to have a silly assortment of masking tape sitting around for board work anyway.

The colors won't be absolutely correct, but I don't plan on having very good lighting where this thing is going to live anyway!

Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I can get the red onto this too so I can stuff that panel in also.

Then I guess it is time to try to hang a screen in it and see if I measured reasonably so I can begin on a bezel.
 :o

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 07:10:52 am »
No coin door?  :'(

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 10:21:15 am »
Great work Bobby!! You work a lot faster than I do.

Nice workshop.
Not to change the subject, but you do know they sell switch and receptacle covers at walmart?   :lol

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 01:30:53 pm »

I'm actually negotiating on the shipping for a REAL Williams coin door from the mainland at the moment so I'm holding off on making a hole.

Nice workshop.
Not to change the subject, but you do know they sell switch and receptacle covers at walmart?   :lol

Thank you sir!
I would be even farther along if the two naughtiest goats hadn't taken out some fencing with a big rock and then escaped yesterday.

Like everything else in my life (and my life itself?!) the shop is still a work in progress but eventually I'll decide exactly where all those boxes will stay- and then get some plates?!
Damn electricians  :lol

While I continue to not be able to make up my mind... I just need to remind myself not to go shoving things in those boxes!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 03:28:03 pm »

I'm actually negotiating on the shipping for a REAL Williams coin door from the mainland at the moment so I'm holding off on making a hole.

Coin doors seem to be what most people on BYOAC want, but I've taken a different view - that they take up valuable real estate at the front of your cab. Unless you want to run it commercially of course. I often put a custom recessed control panel there instead for volume control, USB/audio ports, pause and admin buttons. And a big, obvious, LED-lit button (or freeplay!) for credits.

Modern kids (ok, pretty much anybody under about 40 years!) don't really understand credits for games either. They grew up playing games on home consoles.

So I think that that coin doors are appropriate for original or recreation cabs, or cabs being put into commercial environments, but less appropriate for a customised multigame/multisystem/multipurpose cab intended for a home living environment. If it makes you happy to have a coin door then definitely do it, am just highlighting that there are other (creative) options.

Nice workshop.

Thank you sir!
I would be even farther along if the two naughtiest goats hadn't taken out some fencing with a big rock and then escaped yesterday.

Like everything else in my life (and my life itself?!) the shop is still a work in progress but eventually I'll decide exactly where all those boxes will stay- and then get some plates?!

While I continue to not be able to make up my mind... I just need to remind myself not to go shoving things in those boxes!

I noticed your cat objecting to the boxes too - exiting stage right.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:32:25 pm by Zebidee »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 03:35:24 pm »

Believe it or not... I have heard that line before! LOL

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 03:57:53 pm »

Believe it or not... I have heard that line before! LOL

I bet!
Typically has something to do with the bill, doesn't it?!
 ;)

Coin doors seem to be what most people on BYOAC want, but I've taken a different view - that they take up valuable real estate at the front of your cab. Unless you want to run it commercially of course. I often put a custom recessed control panel there instead for volume control, USB/audio ports, pause and admin buttons. And a big, obvious, LED-lit button (or freeplay!) for credits.

Modern kids (ok, pretty much anybody under about 40 years!) don't really understand credits for games either. They grew up playing games on home consoles.

So I think that that coin doors are appropriate for original or recreation cabs, or cabs being put into commercial environments, but less appropriate for a customised multigame/multisystem/multipurpose cab intended for a home living environment. If it makes you happy to have a coin door then definitely do it, am just highlighting that there are other (creative) options.

Nice workshop.

Thank you sir!

I noticed your cat objecting to the boxes too - exiting stage right.

Yeah, the coin door...
This may be the only 'emulation' machine I make that gets a regular one.
They just look so weird to me without them!

I'm with you on purpose built doors or spaces, most especially if they fill the spot a coin door would otherwise inhabit.

The multi-panel machines (yeah, there will be two before I'm done- a raster one and a vector one) will both have an access door for swapping panels and harness connections.

I go back and forth between enjoying the purity of a real machine and liking the aspect of designing something just for me.

The ArcadeLoft will have an assortment as cluttered as my mind  :dizzy:
 :lol

Elsa the workshop kitty gets disgusted easily- and therfore often!

It was pointed out to me that you can see one of the pigmy goats in another pic too.

It is all so outlandish (and entertaining!) that I don't have to make any of this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 12:17:21 am »
Yeah, the coin door...
This may be the only 'emulation' machine I make that gets a regular one.
They just look so weird to me without them!

I'm with you on purpose built doors or spaces, most especially if they fill the spot a coin door would otherwise inhabit.

The multi-panel machines (yeah, there will be two before I'm done- a raster one and a vector one) will both have an access door for swapping panels and harness connections.

I go back and forth between enjoying the purity of a real machine and liking the aspect of designing something just for me.

The ArcadeLoft will have an assortment as cluttered as my mind  :dizzy:

Elsa the workshop kitty gets disgusted easily- and therfore often!

It was pointed out to me that you can see one of the pigmy goats in another pic too.

It is all so outlandish (and entertaining!) that I don't have to make any of this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up.

Even with multigame cabs, the list you need for a decent arcade is pretty long.

I'm not sure anybody has ever done a *practical* way of actually swapping control panels, that actually works and gets used much in the real world. People talk about it a lot though.

That means you need:

- single player vertical and horz cabs with switchable 8/4 way joys,
- two-player vertical cab with 8-ways
- two (or four) player horizontal cab with 8-ways
- single player vertical and horz cabs with trackball
- driving cab that somehow accommodates the different tech used by different systems. You probably want a pair of these cabs so you can race against your friends
- dance cab
- spinners cab
- vector monitor cab

The list goes on as far as the imagination. If you ever get that far, you'll be hankering for a pinball and maybe a pool table as well!

Speaking of arcades, we just bought the small bit of land by the road, but adjacent to our main plot here next to the river. We got a good price and beat other possible buyers as the owners needed the cash and didn't bother listing with agents etc., we just played nice with the sellers. I feel like I'm playing monopoly, just one more to complete the set and then I can build hotels! haha, we have a hotel next door already so maybe not. But the reason why I mention it is that we will likely use the land for some kind of business, and running an arcade seems as good an option as any.

Put a dozen or so machines in, all different kinds, pool table, dance floor (my mate is already working out how to build one with programmable LEDs), disco ball, strobe lights and the ubiquitous pole. No business plan of course, just my fantasies so far. Other thing is we don't have any money to build now we pulled out everything to buy that land! Definitely sounds like Monopoly!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 03:39:13 am »
You are absolutely right of course.
The complete lack of real machines out here requires drastic measures though  >:D
I'm just wondering how long before I get a build that is the finish quality I'm shooting for.
This one ain't it yet.

When I get to the point where I can play all MY old favorites then I may be done building.
But maybe not.

And it is a slippery slope, ain't it?!

On all fronts it appears  :lol

The big question is...
What will you call the place?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 04:38:00 am »
The big question is...
What will you call the place?

You'd need to make a list of names, but build the cabs first.

Our main place already has a name. Locals just call it "Baan Farang", which means the westerner's place. But assuming we are talking something different, my first idea, inspired by Elsa, is "The Cat's Cream". Which immediately becomes "Catscream". As in "The cat that got the cream". Ah well :D

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 06:59:59 am »
Seems like maybe I am the only one with random spare time to get any work done on something!
Between the stupid goats and my friend I'm supposed to helping with a remodel (who keeps getting derailed by his lady and their new baby) I keep winding up with half free days the last week.

And so, progress!  Of sorts-

The islands are a desert when it comes to real arcade monitors so one has to get creative.

I've been thinking about how best to deal with hanging de-cased consumer TVs and a means to do it such that swapping something out is easy and doesn't require re-engineering the whole cabinet, even if it is a different size screen.

L brackets.
Wish I had access to a welder (and a little more skill at using one.)  This would be easier.
Instead, I came up with an idea mating metal to 2x4 that could be adequate and still sorts modular.

I hate drilling metal.  I don't mind the bits, oil, and sore arms (until I can get the Smithy up and running anyway) but oh, the patience required...
Making do with the tools I already have and the workshop being in a state of flux.

I figured with just enough to allow for frame and tube clearance this might actually work ok and be adjustable to accommodate from a 19" to 25" screen in a cabinet with a 25" wide control panel.

It also allowed for me to cut an L into some 2x4 to carry the brace the brackets screw to and made it easy to play with the angle of the face of the screen and get it really comfortable and make sure it will still fit in the box.

I'm stoked- It's going to work.
Hopefully I can put together a bezel that fits without having to trim a leg on the L brackets- but not sure yet.

Now if the control panel overlay and marquee translite I ordered would get here soon then I won't have to be so impatient!

But at least I know it works

I would much prefer a regular convex tube to the 19" consumer dynaflat that I had to use for the moment but it could be a while before I find a tube out here that I know is compatible with a chassis I can actually buy from somewhere on the mainland.
And then hopefully maybe not have to swap yokes and get into that-

I still need to sort out making the audio better and finishing the remaining panels anyway, so no big rush on artwork anyway I suppose.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 07:11:00 am »
That is huge overkill for a monitor mount.

If it works I suppose it is fine, but that is a lot of effort and weight to add to your cab.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2021, 07:15:50 am »
A lot of cabs just use a 3/4 inch plywood frame screwed to batons on the sides of the cab.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2021, 08:16:48 am »
Also...

Is that SF Rush 2049 in your game room operational?

And...

What is the condition of the one in your shop?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2021, 11:09:25 am »
You can mount a monitor with four pieces of scrap plywood and 4 T-nuts. Much easier (and sturdier) than your metal brackets.

You already have the side blocking pieces there, but you'll need to move them.

I've already posted these pics in a couple of other places, but here we go again:

All you need are 4 pieces of wood, nothing special either. No need to weld metal or use a router, just a skill saw or jigsaw will do the job. Doesn't have to be terribly precise, doesn't have to look pretty either as nobody will ever see it once covered by a bezel.

In that photo above the CRT wasn't even screwed down yet! It was just hanging there (now secured).

You will also want a couple of blocking pieces to go behind (as pictured). This can just be any straight pieces of scrap wood, here I just used some 1x1 inch blocking pieces. Just make sure they are parallel to each other, and at the angle you want the monitor screen to be at.

I used T-nuts like these to secure the tube:

If these pics look familiar, I've posted them long time ago on one of javeryh's build threads http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161994.msg1719883.html#msg1719883, and more recently on Ond's thread here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=post;msg=1740583;topic=158914.120

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2021, 11:17:38 pm »
Thanks for suggestions for next round gentlemen.

The weight of crt glass has always freaked me out and I tend to overbuild anyway I suppose.
I used 3/4" ply for brace and battens in the S.S. Marshmallow and it flexed so much that it freaked me out.
I do admit however that is a 27" tube in that beast.

I added perpendicular bracing to my bracing on that one to make me feel better about it, and figured I could make something easier and more sturdy (even if less elegant) with 2x4s.

Then by the time I checked the mounting ears on half a dozen tube bands and found them all different enough to be problematic for a universal swap in the future, well then...

If I just had a legit screen to use right out of the starting gate I wouldn't have gone through the trouble.
But the only 19"or 20" screens I have are ALL dynaflat ones so I'll just hope for a transplant of something more appropriate at some point.

Also...

Is that SF Rush 2049 in your game room operational?

And...

What is the condition of the one in your shop?

The only real machine I own is the Rush 2049- and in fact I do now have two of them.
One is whole and plays blind.  I got that one in a non-functional state a few years ago but after a new battery and a lot of harness repair I had it working- until we brought it upstairs to the loft and the monitor started in with this crazy wave that would ripple through the whole screen.
Next time I fired it up the screen was blank.
Neck glow, no picture, and you can hear the machine run otherwise  :banghead:

The second is complete but is literally a basket case- in maybe 30 pieces.
The thing sat out in the weather somewhere obviously because the cabinet was doing its best impression of melting.
I'll be able to rebuild it but that is a big project.

Fixing the video in the good one is my next project.
Rebuilding the second is the project after that.
Can't wait to have those linked and playing.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2021, 06:52:10 am »
I've used that same method (described above by Mike and I) to support 27" Sony Trinitron PVMs in cabs, and those things weigh a ton (actually they are around 40 kilograms). That was a long time ago (I'd never do that to a PVM nowadays, they are too valuable). I'm lucky I was working out at the time I mounted them, otherwise I'd never have been able to lift them in. Also put in 29" tubes with same method, but they weighed less than the PVMs. No bending or flexing of the plywood occurred.

If you do the two pieces method like I described, it is easier to fit another CRT later because you can simply slide the top and bottom pieces up and down to fit your CRT. Then, if necessary, you can just drill some new holes for the T-nuts where the 45 degree parts align with your CRT corner pegs.

Perhaps the monitor in the SF Rush 2049 simply has some loose connections that got wobblier as you moved the machine?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 02:13:22 am »
Hope you are right Andrew!

When the monitor in the Rush 2049 went down I was even more clueless about the arcane art of the CRT than I am now (and I still know squat.)
I was afraid to touch it because trying to get another (even used) one to me out here at this point appears to be upwards of $1K US once you endure the drama of the shipping.
-and that is if it doesn't get destroyed on the trip here (and the Jones Act doesn't keep it hung up it somewhere and cost me time and money!)
So potentially destroying something that is unobtanium to me seemed folly.

I have a lot to learn about monitors but I am looking forward to clearing the decks here so I can get at it.

And build my cool diagnostic kits- thank you Andrew!

I did get to put in some time on sorting out the speaker/marquee panel bit.
Needs u channel and at this point this week I am a less is more kinda guy...
2 part epoxy and some clamps.

A little paint and then I can drill some speaker holes and get this thing set up to mount as soon as my marquee shows up  :dunno

Needed to do some protractor work again- this time with some tape for paint detail.
The W's for this were a PITA but came out ok I think.

That was last night actually.
Got Tyler my recent 6th grade grad to help me put down the red to finish this off.
Had to wait until just the right moment to peel the tape- and still wound up with some spider webs- but it still looks ok.

A little clean up and she is going on the cab.

After a little dinner break it will be time to go get my Defender fix for the evening!

I got my 12 year old to help me put the red on the coin door panel in anticipation of a proper coin door.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 05:29:11 am »
As you can see I spent most of my time on my marquee artwork tonight

This build has illuminated the reality that I have spent far too much time building vs. playing for a while now.
Even spending just my last 10 minutes in the workshop every night playing something has been really fun.

I thought I was going to put the effort into a beefier audio system for this one but even just making it 2 little speakers in parallel mono instead of just one speaker made a lot of difference actually.

Only thing left (apart from waiting on artwork and hopefully a coin door at some point I guess) is figuring out what I will do for screen bezel.

I really like the idea of original artwork of course but I have found multiple versions when I searched for it and can't make up my mind about how to go about it.

Need to look some more.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 08:13:44 am »
I like the custom stencil job.

The coin door will complete the look.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2021, 03:32:43 pm »
I'm impressed too, nicely done fiddly work with the stencil, you've obviously done stencilling a few times.

What CRT is that?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2021, 04:07:58 am »
Thank you both Mike and Andrew.  :cheers:

I have a lot of practice with masking tape from all kinds of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- with surfboard work so I'm not afraid, but I can't say I have done any real stencil work actually.
Pretty fun to see the result once you have thought it through.
I don't do so poorly with it but I learned a lot watching my buddy Gavin who has been painting boards for 40 years- and he is actually an artist with the stuff.

The circles for the Williams W's were actually a trace of a peanut jar lid I found that was the right diameter and the rest is all straight tape pulls with a little protractor and tape measure work.

I like the custom stencil job.

The coin door will complete the look.

I heard back from someone who believes he has a 3 slot Williams door he will sell me but needs to check his storage collection after the holiday weekend.
I'm stoked.  That really will complete the machine.

I have really wanted to have a machine (other than the Rush twins) that at least LOOKED like a normal cabinet to someone who knows what they are looking at (and me!)- so I think I may actually pull it off with this one.

And of course both of you guys are right about the screen mounting (which became VERY apparent when I tried to figure out the easiest means to pull off a legitimate bezel) so here we go.

An artifact of surfboard building... I love making templates after I spend time engineering ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Seemed like it made sense to at least have a starting point for future reference since I live in an arcade CRT desert so now I can make mounts for the 3 other machines I need to build pretty easily.

I wrestled my heavy duty brackets out of place with the screen still where it belongs and crammed the new stuff into place.
The result:

Satisfying because it is still modular enough to allow for the inevitable screen swap in the future (as long as I live that long) and I learned how I can do it really easily for future builds now too.

The next few pics are pretty mundane, but if in the interest of maintenance you haven't tried beadle wraps and zip ties to staples yet I highly recommend them for the appropriate spots.

Because of how I mounted this consumer tube here it required dismantling the mounting system for the degauss circuit, and since I am planning on replacing this monitor at some point I wanted to continue with the whole theme of being something I could disassemble/reassemble with no drama or re-engineering.

And if you haven't discovered a staple gun for insulated cables yet you are missing out.
What is even better for future maintenance is to set a staple on its own and then anchor wires to it with a cable tie for easy removal/replacement in the future.

This Gardner Bender stapler I got for making some stuff faster with electrical install work is great fun for machine building.

Not sure about you all, but I'm ready for a third MaiTai and a little Defender humiliation-

Dammit Eugene!!!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2021, 04:16:46 am »
I'm impressed too, nicely done fiddly work with the stencil, you've obviously done stencilling a few times.

What CRT is that?

Almost forgot- sorry Andrew!

That is a de-cased 20" Dyna-flat Panasonic consumer TV run through an Extron VSC 500.

Absolutely a concession in regard to authenticity- but it actually isn't that bad.
Certainly better than a 32" LCD, yeah?!

In the interest of repairing the monitor for the functional Rush 2049 cab I need to to resist the temptation to begin the 4 player pedestal where my GreenAntz will drive the 36" Trinitron I have
 >:D

Aloha!

And drink up y'all

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2021, 04:43:18 am »
Wow, fast work. I also just learned what beadle ties are and how to use a staple gun with zip ties for cable tidying excellence!

20" Panasonic flatty sounds fine to me. Composite input (yellow RCA PLUG)? You will be able to easily swap it out later for monitor/RGB/component TV if you want. Now you know how to make the CRT support it'll be easy.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Maybe we should call this one "I Need an Intervention"
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2021, 09:56:47 am »
That's really cool that you made your own stencils.  Even cooler getting the kids to help out.   :cheers:

That was last night actually.
Got Tyler my recent 6th grade grad to help me put down the red to finish this off.
Had to wait until just the right moment to peel the tape- and still wound up with some spider webs- but it still looks ok.

A little clean up and she is going on the cab.

After a little dinner break it will be time to go get my Defender fix for the evening!

I got my 12 year old to help me put the red on the coin door panel in anticipation of a proper coin door.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2021, 07:30:54 pm »
After I got Tyler to help me with the coin door paint work there has been too much of this...

And not enough of this!

DaOldMan certainly can commiserate as regards 80 year old crap like this.

At least I got some artwork happening finally.
Nice quality stuff from the GameOnGrafix crew.

Next will be sorting out the control panel overlay since I blew it with the dimensions I sent them.  A little extra T molding and I think I can make it work.

At least I will know what size screen bezel to be ordering now!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 02:07:29 am »
Nice looking marquee

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2021, 02:48:55 am »
Nice looking marquee

Right?!

Thank ya.  :cheers:

Amazing how much difference it makes in how a cabinet looks.
Need to order my bezel art tonight if I can figure out how to do it properly.
I had another epiphany about control panel though and need to order another overlay that is precisely what I need in dimensions or it will look like poo :banghead:
But at least I can play it while I'm waiting...
 ;D

I'm trying to get this thing complete so I can get to soldering practice!!
I have a LOT of work today with a soldering iron soon I think.

I opted for MagStik Plus units here too, so I am back to switch surgery to get the feel I really like using those 44 series Cherry switches.
Really like those joysticks with these switches in them.

Need to bore out the little pivot hole to swap in a lever and trim a bit of overhang in the window where the lever winds up sitting but I have found these to have nice actuation pressure, quick engagement, and...
they are quiet!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2021, 07:53:24 am »
Surgery on microswitches? Extreme!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2021, 03:58:26 am »
Wow- got the red banner of shame while writing this post.
Man I have been busy.

Anyway...

Anyone know where I can find stencils for this?!

I have looked around and nobody who made them in the past seems to offer them still.

I would be REALLY excited to get Multi-Williams bezel artwork that suits this cabinet too so I'll be another step closer to putting at least one machine on the "done" list.

I thought FrizzleFried built a machine with what I want but I can't seem to get his attention to buy a copy of the file to have it size adjusted and printed.

Reminds me I should probably add a picture of the finally squared away contol panel for this imposter.
Not to mention that I finally got a legit coin door for this too.
Maybe before the kids are sprinkling me in the bananas I'll have time to clean that up and cut a hole for it too.

Love playing this thing when I have time!
It's fun to beat up on my son on something after he kicks ---my bottom--- at nearly everything else we play.