Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1up upgrade- what is out there?  (Read 12544 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:20:02 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Arcade 1up upgrade- what is out there?
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2021, 01:00:07 pm »
The worst a CRT will do is zap you a bit if you don't discharge the chassis correctly.

The only way a CRT could seriously injure you is if someone dropped one on your head.

Aside from the primary injury, there are always those secondary ones to be concerned about.  Back in the olden days, when color monitors were worth their weight in gold, I had a CGA monitor which would do 800x600, but you needed to adjust the vertical height pot to make it look right.  So young and stupid me left the back off so I could reach around blindly and tweak it as needed.  One time, I was distracted and put a finger on the yoke board.  Pow.  I yanked away so quickly that I bashed my arm on the desk.  I also had a tiny, perfectly burned hole in my fingertip, which felt like it went straight through to the bone and hurt like hell for weeks.  The arm was bruised pretty good as well.

An old TV repair guy once told me; "Always keep one hand in your pocket".    Hopefully he was giving me advice about how to safely work on CRTs ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:40:40 pm by RandyT »