Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone do the ArcadeModUp kit and the 20” Dell 2007FP monitor upgrade? Help!  (Read 7886 times)

ParanoidAndroid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2021, 10:32:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi. Total newb, here. I have the ArcadeModUp kit and I am putting things together with the popular 20” Dell 2007FP monitor upgrade connected via dvi to hdmi adapter. When I turn everything on the monitor reads: “out of range signal. Cannot display this video mode, change computer display to input 1600x1200 @ 60hz.”

Did anyone else with the ArcadeModUp kit and the 20” Dell monitor upgrade have this issue?

Do I need to change the resolution on the emulation station? I tried 2 different via to HDMI adaptors and same thing, so that's not it. I attached the ArcadeModUp unit to my 4k desktop monitor via hdmi and everything looked great. I looked for a way to change the resolution in Emulation station settings and could not find anything. What am I missing?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Josh

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
Make sure the adapter you are using is made specifically to do the HDMI signal into a DVI and not the other way around. Or is at least bi-directional. Some of those adapters only do 1 way. Try plugging the HDMI input cable on the Dell monitor to a regular PC's HDMI out and see if you get the same message. I'm also using the 2007fpb monitor, but I'm using it with a PC on a GT-1030 going DVI to DVI so I have no issues at all.

ParanoidAndroid

• Offline Offline
Oh, man (Slaps forehead). Is that it?!?

I bought two different adapters to make sure that wasn't it -- but the both say DVI to HDMI, with no mention of bi-directionality :)

Well I just put in an order to amazon for a proper bi-directional HDMI to DVI adapter. We'll see if that does it.

Thanks Phreakwars!

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
HDMI and DVI are electrically the same. All the adapters should be bidirectional as they're only changing the physical connector.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
HDMI and DVI are electrically the same. All the adapters should be bidirectional as they're only changing the physical connector.
You would think that would be the case, but I guarantee you, I have 3 adapters here at the house that say you are wrong. I'd be more then happy to mail them to you to examine for yourself. They will only convert a DVI to an HDMI (cheap Amazon Vine freebies), Try doing HDMI to DVI on them, and they display garbage. First time I ran into that, I was like WTF, WHY ARE THESE NOT WORKING!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:52:45 pm by Phreakwars »

ParanoidAndroid

• Offline Offline
That's exactly what I thought, Osirus23. I hope Phreakwars is right and I am wrong :)

Well, the new adapter will be here tomorrow. We will see if that does the trick. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
J

OldSchool33

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2021, 08:47:10 pm
Guys - I'm having the same issue, I receive the same error message from the 20" Dell 2007FP monitor.

I purchased the following adapter -DVI to HDMI, Benfei Bidirectional DVI (DVI-D) to HDMI Male to Female Adapter with Gold-Plated Cord 2 Pack   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXY79KR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm assuming that I need to get a cable that does Mini HDMI to DVI?

Can any of you guys recommend a cable that will work?

Thaks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
You would think that would be the case, but I guarantee you, I have 3 adapters here at the house that say you are wrong. I'd be more then happy to mail them to you to examine for yourself. They will only convert a DVI to an HDMI (cheap Amazon Vine freebies), Try doing HDMI to DVI on them, and they display garbage. First time I ran into that, I was like WTF, WHY ARE THESE NOT WORKING!!

Well I think the problem is you think they are converting something when in fact they are not.   HDMI and DVI are 100% the same signal, the only difference is the physical plug, the fact that dvi still has legacy support for what is essentially svga, and the fact that hdmi can also carry audio.   If a cable will only work for you in one direction throw out that cable because there is something seriously wrong with it.