Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Issues with MAME and trackball mouse settings  (Read 2908 times)

lohonda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 09:32:37 pm
Issues with MAME and trackball mouse settings
« on: June 21, 2021, 09:40:29 pm »
So I have an Ultimarc trackball connected with a USB cable to my computer running MAME .232 and compatible roms on a pc running windows 7. I can't get any golden tee other than golden tee 2 to work and also marble madness doesn't work. Games like missile command and centipede also work. The issue is that those games that work assign the trackball to mouse 6 and the ones that don't work assign the trackball to just mouse. Is there a way to manually assign the trackball in mame games to mouse 6 other than using the actual trackball in the settings?

The different games that work are automatically assigning the trackball to a different mouse when using the menu for assigning the trackball. If I manually assign the trackball it shows as mouse 6. If I try to assign the mouse to all machines for the trackball it becomes greyed out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:42:03 pm by lohonda »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Issues with MAME and trackball mouse settings
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:27:39 am »
I can't get any golden tee other than golden tee 2 to work and also marble madness doesn't work. Games like missile command and centipede also work. The issue is that those games that work assign the trackball to mouse 6 and the ones that don't work assign the trackball to just mouse. Is there a way to manually assign the trackball in mame games to mouse 6 other than using the actual trackball in the settings?

The different games that work are automatically assigning the trackball to a different mouse when using the menu for assigning the trackball. If I manually assign the trackball it shows as mouse 6. If I try to assign the mouse to all machines for the trackball it becomes greyed out.
That's odd.   :dizzy:

1. Have you generated a mame.ini file?  It's not automatically created during install.
- Run "mame.exe -cc" (create config) to generate a mame.ini file.

2. In mame.ini, is mouse enabled (1) or disabled (0)?
- Pretty sure that the default setting is disabled.  You need it enabled.
- Open/edit mame.ini using Notepad.
Code: [Select]
#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     1
joystick                  1
lightgun                  0
multikeyboard             0
multimouse                0

3. Is multimouse enabled or disabled?
- Default is disabled.  You probably don't need it enabled unless you have a trackball + spinner and you're likely to nudge one control while using the other.

4. Once you've got those settings saved in mame.ini, check for game-specific .cfg files in the "mame\cfg\" folder.
- Delete any for trackball games like "marble.cfg". (Marble Madness)

5. Try launching the various trackball games again.
- They should all work, the trackball should be on the "Mouse X" and "Mouse Y" axes.

Any axis using an optical (mouse/spinner/trackball) control should have the "Dec" and "Inc" set to none.
Those are reserved for key presses being substituted for analogue input.
- Highlight the "Inc" or "Dec" setting.
- Press ENTER. (map the setting)
- Press ESC. (set it to none)

6. If the games don't work and/or the axes aren't "Mouse X" and "Mouse Y", try de-mapping and re-mapping each axis back to the default.
- Highlight the axis.
- Press ESC. (reset it to default)

7. If none of the above works, try a fresh install of mame + generate/edit mame.ini.

Scott

lohonda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 09:32:37 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 10:12:14 pm »
I can't get any golden tee other than golden tee 2 to work and also marble madness doesn't work. Games like missile command and centipede also work. The issue is that those games that work assign the trackball to mouse 6 and the ones that don't work assign the trackball to just mouse. Is there a way to manually assign the trackball in mame games to mouse 6 other than using the actual trackball in the settings?

That's odd.   :dizzy:

1. Have you generated a mame.ini file?  It's not automatically created during install.
- Run "mame.exe -cc" (create config) to generate a mame.ini file.

2. In mame.ini, is mouse enabled (1) or disabled (0)?
- Pretty sure that the default setting is disabled.  You need it enabled.
- Open/edit mame.ini using Notepad.
Code: [Select]
#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     1
joystick                  1
lightgun                  0
multikeyboard             0
multimouse                0

3. Is multimouse enabled or disabled?
- Default is disabled.  You probably don't need it enabled unless you have a trackball + spinner and you're likely to nudge one control while using the other.

4. Once you've got those settings saved in mame.ini, check for game-specific .cfg files in the "mame\cfg\" folder.
- Delete any for trackball games like "marble.cfg". (Marble Madness)

5. Try launching the various trackball games again.
- They should all work, the trackball should be on the "Mouse X" and "Mouse Y" axes.

Any axis using an optical (mouse/spinner/trackball) control should have the "Dec" and "Inc" set to none.
Those are reserved for key presses being substituted for analogue input.
- Highlight the "Inc" or "Dec" setting.

6. If the games don't work and/or the axes aren't "Mouse X" and "Mouse Y", try de-mapping and re-mapping each axis back to the default.
- Highlight the axis.
- Press ESC. (reset it to default)

7. If none of the above works, try a fresh install of mame + generate/edit mame.ini.

Scott
Thank you for your help. I was using MAMEUI and so I decided to try and use just MAME and I followed your instructions and that fixed my issue.

I'm not sure why it works on the regular version of MAME and not MAMEUI but oh well. I do have a spinner also which only works on the y axis instead of x axis so unfortunately it won't work on tempest but it's not a big deal. Technically the trackball could spin it or I can use a separate install just for spinner games I guess.

Eventually I might do more troubleshooting and try to get the multiple mouse function to work so I can have it all. For now I'm just happy it mostly works as I need it.

Thanks again.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 10:47:16 pm »
I was using MAMEUI and so I decided to try and use just MAME and I followed your instructions and that fixed my issue.
IIRC MAMEUI has a menu window that allows you to enable mouse input with a checkbox instead of manually editing mame.ini.
- You might run into a conflict if mame.ini settings don't match the MAMEUI settings.   :dunno

I'm not sure why it works on the regular version of MAME and not MAMEUI but oh well. I do have a spinner also which only works on the y axis instead of x axis so unfortunately it won't work on tempest but it's not a big deal. Technically the trackball could spin it or I can use a separate install just for spinner games I guess.
You should be able to remap Dial Analog (the spinner) from "Mouse X" to "Mouse Y" in the "Input (general) -- Player 1 Controls" menu or remap it in each game.
- If not, there is definitely something wrong with your MAMEUI installation.  Do a fresh install.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 10:49:07 pm by PL1 »