Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Slim LCD scratch cab: Yeen Dig  (Read 8126 times)

whines

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2023, 05:02:21 pm
Slim LCD scratch cab: Yeen Dig
« on: May 10, 2021, 09:42:59 am »
When we moved in to our last house, people on the far side of the block threw out a stripped cabinet, a 'Quarterback' that had been converted to Raiden at some point. Almost everything was missing, and long story short, I repainted it and did a minimal conversion to MAME, putting in GGG Ice buttons and LEDs, and making a custom marquee for 'Space Fennec'. It has a horizontal 20" LCD in it and I've played with a few board options. Right now it has a 19-in-1 board, simple and straightforward since I'm not really interested in messing with software at the moment. (this is the cab pictured below)

After moving this upstairs to the landing it is sitting on...not fun!...I reflected that I still wanted to build a DIY cab. The 'need' that it would fulfill is having a vertical monitor and a 4-way joystick, and being easier to move around than the classic cab.

This will be a modern interpretation of a cabinet using an LCD and 1/2" baltic birch plywood for lightness and strength. I'm going to skip the T-molding and just round the corners with a router--I like the look but it would be purely cosmetic, I build speakers out of this stuff and they stand up to being knocked around on the road just fine.

My initial inclination was to have just the 4-way joystick and a single button, but I may give in and add a second one. The CP will have just those and P1/P2 buttons. There will be a coin door and I'll add a switch to the reject button as well as having a functioning mech. No admin buttons, I want this to be dead simple.

Size will be 20" deep and 21" wide, and 70" tall, with an 8" deep CP. Should be comfortable for an adult to play.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:25:54 am by whines »

whines

• Offline Offline
Re: Slim LCD scratch cab: Yeen Dig
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 09:45:14 am »
Cab side cut, screwed together so I can trim them to the same size.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:27:58 am by whines »

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 09:47:36 am »
Front and back panels added, except for the back door. CP will be removable and will slide in at the bend in the cab front.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:29:06 am by whines »

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 09:51:19 am »
Rails for front glass added, panel for LCD mount added.

I'm using PL Premium to hold it all together--what I use for speakers, the airtight joins it creates aren't important in this context but it's super strong--so the screws are coming out after joints dry.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:30:06 am by whines »

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 09:30:34 am »
Top and front of the CP attached. Clamping it down that firmly was a mistake, it's a little too narrow now, but it's not bad.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:31:02 am by whines »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 12:26:04 pm »
So that last pic is the CP?  Is it the same width as the cabinet or will there be some overhang?  It looks like you pieced the side panels together instead of cutting them out of one sheet of material.  Are you planning to fill and sand the seams?  What type of finish are you thinking about?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 04:37:40 pm »
I get the feeling those pictures are stretched out.  Like that first panel can't really be that wide can it?  To fix that I usually edit the post and type in the right width and height values for the image link.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 07:08:21 pm »
G'day whines, I'm posting a 'How to post images in your project' so that your images will look perfect every time.  Direct posting images in any thread is easy yes, but the more pro way to do it is in the instructions.  They will load faster and saint won't have to invest in even more Terabytes of storage too soon.  :) The 10 steps may look involved but once you get used to it it's really quick.  I open two tabs in my browser to make it even quicker.

Steps to post pictures in your project thread:
1.   Store your original images in a folder on your pc C:\users\user\pictures\MyProject\cab_01.jpg
2.   Resize your images in MSPaint to around 1000 x 562 px
3.   Save the resized image into a folder in your MyProject folder e.g. C:\users\user\pictures\MyProject\low_res\cab_01.jpg
4.   Open the thread for storing images on the forum http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164992.40.html
5.   Start a new post by clicking the Reply button, you will need to type something in the post for it to work, even just a character will do.
6.   Click ‘Attachments and other options’ at the bottom of the post and browse to the folder on your PC with your re-sized images in it.  You can add up to eight attachments in one post.
7.   When you have added all the images you want click the Post button.
8.   In your new post, right click any image and choose ‘Copy image link’
9.   Go to your project thread on the forum and in your latest post, click the ‘Insert Image’ icon just above the text window.
10.   Paste the link you copied in the middle of the code to look like this:

You could add sizing edits as Gilrock suggests but just re-sizing and saving in MSPaint will remove any weird formatting in the image and fix distortion issues.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:21:58 pm by Ond »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 03:14:47 am »
The forum's image handling plugin has trouble automatically handling links to images over 1024 pixels wide/tall that have EXIF rotation.

Fortunately you can use "width=" or "height=" values of less than 1025 or the correct ratio of "width=" to "height=" for 1025 or greater to make those images display properly like Gilrock suggests (readers can click on the image for full size like the example below -- a great method that combines less scrolling to read thru the thread and more image detail when desired) and/or you can resize them before uploading like Ond suggests.

Code: [Select]
[img width=250]http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=165067.0;attach=387853;image[/img]

Hope these tips help you tell the visual story of your cab build.   :cheers:

Scott

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 08:56:54 am »
I think it would help to post instructions like that at the top each time a new thread for posting images is created.  I knew about the thread for a couple years but not how to use it until recently after I got over the embarrassment of not wanting to ask and look stupid.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 10:37:31 am »
I think it would help to post instructions like that at the top each time a new thread for posting images is created.
Good point.   :cheers:

Discussion thread started here.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165077.0.html

[/Thread derail]

Scott

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 11:26:30 am »
G'day whines, I'm posting a 'How to post images in your project' so that your images will look perfect every time.  Direct posting images in any thread is easy yes, but the more pro way to do it is in the instructions.  They will load faster and saint won't have to invest in even more Terabytes of storage too soon.  :) The 10 steps may look involved but once you get used to it it's really quick.  I open two tabs in my browser to make it even quicker.

Steps to post pictures in your project thread:
1.   Store your original images in a folder on your pc C:\users\user\pictures\MyProject\cab_01.jpg
2.   Resize your images in MSPaint to around 1000 x 562 px
3.   Save the resized image into a folder in your MyProject folder e.g. C:\users\user\pictures\MyProject\low_res\cab_01.jpg
4.   Open the thread for storing images on the forum http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164992.40.html
5.   Start a new post by clicking the Reply button, you will need to type something in the post for it to work, even just a character will do.
6.   Click ‘Attachments and other options’ at the bottom of the post and browse to the folder on your PC with your re-sized images in it.  You can add up to eight attachments in one post.
7.   When you have added all the images you want click the Post button.
8.   In your new post, right click any image and choose ‘Copy image link’
9.   Go to your project thread on the forum and in your latest post, click the ‘Insert Image’ icon just above the text window.
10.   Paste the link you copied in the middle of the code to look like this:

You could add sizing edits as Gilrock suggests but just re-sizing and saving in MSPaint will remove any weird formatting in the image and fix distortion issues.

Ahah! Thank you, fixing.

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 11:37:13 am »
So that last pic is the CP?  Is it the same width as the cabinet or will there be some overhang?  It looks like you pieced the side panels together instead of cutting them out of one sheet of material.  Are you planning to fill and sand the seams?  What type of finish are you thinking about?

Yeah, it's just slightly narrower so it can fit between the sides. With just one joystick and two buttons (plus the start buttons) hopefully there will be plenty of space.

Baltic birch normally comes in 5'x5' sheets (you can get 4x8 but at a premium) so I cheaped out and had to join it. After I fill all of the holes left by removed screws I'll sand it all down. The finish will be paint with stencils on the sides. I suspect that the seam will be visible if one looks closely!

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 11:49:56 am »
Control panel test fit...latches hold it in and it's really solid.

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 11:53:55 am »
Inside where the latch that holds the CP in place is. Glue has been scraped off of the mating surfaces before it set (I've learned my lession!)

I'll be adding a block of scrap wood in the top in line with the mount for the monitor glass.

Lower left is the hole for the coin door.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 03:32:22 pm »
I can't tell the overall height, but you may want to check the amount of overhang of your marquee. It seems if you are tall enough, it'll cut off the top of the monito. I did that with one of my builds. Good luck!

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 09:59:04 am »
Good point, I did model it in Sketchup and it's okay...I'm 6'2" and I can see the whole monitor area. May be an issue for taller people though.

Rails for the back added.

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 10:03:47 am »
Upper back installed. I figured I didn't need to hinge the whole back, and this let me use scrap wood more efficiently.

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 10:06:47 am »
Upper rail for supporting the monitor glass, and a 'sweep' on the underside of the slot where the CP slides in to fill in the gap.

(dramatic lighting provided by the LED strip that will eventually be in the marquee)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:08:21 am by whines »

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 01:52:14 pm »
Back door. Exposed screws wouldn't fly in the real world of course but I do lose keys :)

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 01:53:25 pm »
Recessed hole for the IEC power inlet. Really I should have recessed the cam lock on the back door too. Hmm.

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 10:10:54 am »
Okay the lock is recessed now too, added another block of 1/2" behind it so I could bore out space for the exposed part to fit in!

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 10:15:55 am »
Test fitting buttons. I need to track down some bolts for the joystick.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 10:17:10 am »
I'm afraid if that was mine I'd be filling the hole in and redoing it.  Looks like the bit jumped all around before it started cutting the hole.  I know its hard to drill a bigger hole once you have one there but the trick I use is to get a scrap piece of board and cut a the new hole size in that and then hold that perfectly centered over the original hole to guide your bit for drilling a new hole.  I've had to do that to enlarge a button hole after I had already applied an overlay.  The lock doesn't quite look centered either. 

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 09:19:47 am »
I'm afraid if that was mine I'd be filling the hole in and redoing it.  Looks like the bit jumped all around before it started cutting the hole.  I know its hard to drill a bigger hole once you have one there but the trick I use is to get a scrap piece of board and cut a the new hole size in that and then hold that perfectly centered over the original hole to guide your bit for drilling a new hole.  I've had to do that to enlarge a button hole after I had already applied an overlay.  The lock doesn't quite look centered either.

Yeah, I tried enlarging the hole by doing it by hand and...yeah that doesn't work. Removed door and did it in a drill press which I should have from the start. It is definitely not beautiful.

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 09:23:47 am »
Test fit of controls. These buttons have an odd black collar around them that makes them stand out a bit, not sure what I think of that...but the CP is removable so I can remove them later if I need to.

I was worried about the panel being cramped since the cab is narrow--seems kinda silly now! :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 10:05:58 am »
These buttons have an odd black collar around them that makes them stand out a bit, not sure what I think of that...but the CP is removable so I can remove them later if I need to.
Those black spacer rings are usually used on the underside of metal control panels.
- The nut doesn't tighten down far enough on the button body to grip thin panels without those rings.

They aren't needed on a wood panel like yours . . . unless you really want that "stand out" look and the resulting raised buttons.   :dunno

Scott

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 02:32:53 pm »
Oh, that makes sense! Thanks :)

whines

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2021, 09:17:34 am »
Needed to expand the holes a bit, the buttons have a little rim around the inside of the bezel that is a bit wider than the threaded body. The black plastic rings fit on them which had confused me. They fit flush now though!

...and daaamn they are stiff. That is not going to fly for gameplay. I'll keep them for the start buttons but have ordered lit leaf switches for the main buttons from GGG. Only needing two makes it easier to splurge!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2021, 11:04:30 am »
Much better.   :cheers: