Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Earthshaker - PC to Jamma Interface Board  (Read 5273 times)

baritonomarchetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
Earthshaker - PC to Jamma Interface Board
« on: May 05, 2021, 12:05:18 pm »
Yes, another one  :D

Some of you maybe remember that one month ago I shared some information about the Arduino shield I have developed for my racing cab. It's >>HERE<<, just in case you are curious...

Recently, a friend of mine asked me how to interface his buggy boy junior cabinet. Being that there was not the need for something that complex (no outputs, a wheel and only few inputs) and giving the nature of the wheel (optical), I decided to develop a simple, multi-pourpouse Arduino shield based on pro-micro board.

Main features of the shield are:
- on board video amplifier circuit
- on board separate-to-composite sync circuit
- sync frequency check and disable of the video amp in case of out-of-spec "dangerous" frequencies (keeping the CRT up and running is a must)
- 14 inputs (max), 4 of which can be analog
- open firmware

Being open, you can adapt the firmware to your specific needs. Some example of cabinet configuration this interface can support with the right firmware:

1 - "classic" upright cabinet, one joystick and up to 10 further digital inputs
2 - "classic" upright cabinet, one joystick, one spinner and up to 8 further digital inputs
3 - "classic" upright cabinet, one joystick, one trackball and up to 6 further digital inputs
4 - "classic" upright cabinet, two joysticks and up to 6 further digital inputs
5 - racing cabinet with optical wheel (360°) and up to 12 furhter digital inputs
6 - racing cabinet with analog wheel (270°) and up to 13 digital inputs
7 - racing cabinet with analog wheel (270°), analog accelerator and/or brake and up to 11 digital inputs
8 - racing cabinet with two optical wheels and up to 10 digital inputs (who said "Championship Sprint"?!)
9 - racing cabinet with three optical wheels and up to 8 digital inputs ("Super Sprint" anyone?)

... and many others.

I have written a full instructable on this, in case someone want to dig it more. A firmware for a "classic" cabinet (1 joystick, start button, coin switch and up to 8 buttons) is already there, but I will upload more sketches as I write them (the next one will for sure be the one I am writing for buggy boy junior, which will be ok for any racing cabinet with optical wheel and less than 12 switches).

Here is the instructable  :)
https://www.instructables.com/Earthshaker-Cheap-and-Customizable-Jamma-to-PC-Int/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:19:51 pm by baritonomarchetto »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Earthshaker - PC to Jamma Interface Board
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:11:58 pm »
That’s pretty cool, man! I love seeing people roll their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***