Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A1Up Golden Tee adventure  (Read 8554 times)

LTC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 11:10:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
A1Up Golden Tee adventure
« on: May 04, 2021, 09:37:50 am »
A friend and I went to an auction this past Saturday. Among other things, we picked up 3 A1Up Golden Tee cabinets with risers for $20 each (I bought 2 and he got 1). The one you see powered up has a busted track ball. I had removed a working one from the one on the left in the picture.

Got them home and none would work properly. Sunday, I tore in to them and after some testing, wound up with 2 working game PCBs, 2 working control panels and 1 working monitor. I went ahead and put one together for myself. This is going upstairs to the game room once I get done cleaning it up some more.

Yesterday, I got home from work and stripped out the 2 non working monitors, and was able to get one working out of the 2. One had a bad display, but the other just had a dead LED driver board. So with that, put one together for my buddy. He has his riser at his house.

I was never a big Golden Tee fan, but I must say, I had a lot of fun playing it for the last couple of days. I logged about 3 hours on it yesterday alone.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:42:38 am by LTC »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: A1Up Golden Tee adventure
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:51:40 pm »
Awesome - can't go wrong for $20. I ended up with a couple free ones from the pallet I bought. One got converted to a 60-n-1 for my kids and the other got converted to a Gorf.

LTC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:06:06 pm »
Your Gorf came out really nice.

LTC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 09:41:50 pm »
So the "adventure" continues.

After getting the 2 Golden Tees working, and dropping one off at my friends, I was left with a pretty banged up 3rd cabinet, no working electronics, and a solid cabinet riser. After evaluating all of the remains, I decided it was time to put that ancient gaming PC that has been sitting in the garage for the last 10+ years to use. Going to go vertical screen (I have several 19" Dell monitors sitting aroundhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165040.0.html), 4 way joystick, 2 buttons, and maybe a spinner for Arkanoid and Tempest? (on the fence on that)

Playing with Attract Mode FE for the first time

Cut a new CP out of scrap 3/4 plywood I have sitting around and followed the lines of the original with a router later on

This is the riser

And put the cab back together after cutting some new support brackets out of the scrap in the garage

I am going to get rid of all the IT and Golden Tee graphics. Not sure what theme I'm going with yet, but there are plenty to choose from for these A1Up cabs.

Side note, I have yet to grow tired of the Golden Tee. I fire it up daily, and still have not moved it to the game room (unfortunately less frequently used) from the living room.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:01:58 pm by LTC »

LTC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:15:16 pm »
Got the monitor mounted today. I now need to order the controls so that I can get the CP done.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 10:17:07 pm »
Nice - what's your thoughts on that 19"? Seems like it is obstructed a bit by the marquee overhang. Did your 10 year old computer still have a good BIOS battery in it? That's like the first thing I had to replace on my older gaming machines.

If you go with a spinner, I really am happy with the GRS spinner: https://www.amazon.com/GRS-USB-Button-Hole-Spinner/dp/B08HNB5933 and at $55, you can't go wrong. I just put one on my machine and really glad I did. Turns out I was really missing some games. With a vertical monitor, there are a couple versions of Arkanoid. I also think Cameltry is a fun game. If you're feeling froggy, the SpinMame mod allows you to play a few extra games with a spinner (Gyruss and Time Pilot are the best)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 07:48:53 am »
You only post that Time Pilot and Gyruss spinner hack to make me sad. :'(

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 10:35:23 pm »
I post it to give those of us who suck at those games a fighting chance. If it makes you sad, that’s just a bonus. :D

I get it though, it breaks those games.

LTC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 08:17:54 pm »
I will have to look in to this spinner hack.

Yeah, the monitor looks like the top is not visible, but it's sitting on the floor. I am hoping it will be better once it's on the riser. If not, I have a couple of 17" 4x3s. I can just mount one of those in there.

As far as the spinner, I have a couple of the Atari branded ones from Microcenter here. They look just like the GRS ones. I am just going to peel the Atari label off.

Here's a mock-up of the CP
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:21:29 pm by LTC »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 03:49:23 am »
I would add a 3rd button, mostly coz I love me some Track and field/Hypersports :) :) :)   (Yes, I know they are not vertically orientated games)   But there are a decent number of vertical shoot em ups that use 3 buttons.  I suppose you could set it so that pressing 1&2 together is converted to button 3.

LTC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 08:17:49 am »
Don't most of the vertical shmups require an 8 way stick? I'm going with a 4 way here.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 10:03:24 am »
 :o :o :o :o I should learn to read more thoroughly, You are good with 2 buttons then  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

LTC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 08:00:51 pm »
So I have been totally unmotivated to work on anything in the garage with the humidity we've had here, but it's not going away so today I went ahead and cut the T-molding slot and drilled the holes for the buttons and controls. Still need to route the joystick baseplate hole and I can start to Bondo the CP. Also cut the missing filler panels out of scrap hard board I had laying around. One for under the CP and one for behind the marquee.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:18:20 pm by LTC »

LTC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 01:58:49 pm »
Over the last couple of weeks, I routed in the joystick pocket, and pealed the sidewall decals off. This morning I put the first coat of Bondo on the CP. It's coming along slowly.