Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gallag colors, am I missing blue?  (Read 3718 times)

RedCapsMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2021, 02:12:00 pm
Gallag colors, am I missing blue?
« on: April 24, 2021, 10:45:49 am »
Hey Everyone,

I recently picked up a jamma Galaga bootleg that has the wrong colors. I know my monitor is fine because my other boards look great.  My guess is that I'm missing the color blue because the bee looking guys have green wings and a pink body. I'll attach some pictures. The bloom on my camera makes it hard to see when they're all in formation but I got one shot where you can see his pink body.

So I guess my question is if Gallag ever had color variants? Or maybe theres some deoxit and lots of reseating chips in my future? Reading about Gallag/Galaga repairs has been quite the rabbit hole.

Everything else is great! It plays like it should, the starfield isn't a mess, theres no pink hue on the ship/white sprites and the sound is good. That should rule out ram issues, right? It passes those tests, but I read that test mode isn't particularly useful on Galaga.

I've gone as far as checking continuity but I haven't found any broken traces on the color lines. Any tips are appreciated! I consider myself to be a competent mame cab enthusiast (I've built a few machines) but troubleshooting actual arcade pcbs is new territory for me.

Thanks,
Red

RedCapsMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2021, 02:12:00 pm
Re: Gallag colors, am I missing blue?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 09:51:26 pm »
Figured it out. The blue and green were switched around right on the board. I used a jamma extension and switched the blue and green lines and everything looks the way you'd expect. Next step is to take the lines from the video board and switch them around when they meet at the jamma connection.

Maybe, just maybe, someone will come across this board again with the same problem and I can save them some time troubleshooting. How many jamma gallags are out there? Most bootlegs I see online have original Galaga pinouts not jamma.