Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Possible compromise of member list data: phishing attempt after buy/sell post  (Read 7296 times)

Rockstead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I recently posted on the buy and sell sub and I just had a pretty good phishing attempt on my personal email.

The send email was from saint@arcadecontrols.com and what made me realize that it was a phishing attempt was that 1. The reply to address was different, it was bally00life@gmail.com 2. It was weird that Saint wouldn’t have message me through a pm on the board.

The fake saint wanted me to email Regis at freedomwayxx@outlook.com for the Time Crisis Red Pedal I was looking for.

I have to think that it’s very likely the user database on arcadecontrols is compromised as the phisher was able to retrieve the email account that I have on my profile here.

I have already reached out to Saint to let him know, and he did confirm it wasn’t him.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
I'll certainly take a look but it'd be a fairly odd way of going about things. I've asked for the message header from the email he received so I can look at the sending server's info.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
Thanks for taking it seriously and looking at it so promptly, I sent you the info.

I posted this in case someone else had something similar happen, it wasn’t like those normal phishing attempts people get on a daily basis, it was very targeted using credible information and someone that took their time to personally target my ad along with having my personal email.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
OK I'm leaving this up because it was a clever but annoying non-hack by a new and now banned forum member and people will want to know what he did and how.

When someone sends you a PM here on the forum, the forum will send you an email with the contents of the PM. It comes from the arcadecontrols.com server, sent to the email you have on file here on the server. The person who sent you the PM doesn't have your email info.

What this guy did was immediately after sending the PM, and then waiting for a moment, he deletes the PM. You log on to the forum, no PM. However, you did get an email to your private email address with the contents of the message he sent you.

He sent the same PM to 6 additional people, all telling them to email a specific email address to get an arcade part they mentioned they were looking for here on the forum.

Clever and annoying bit of marketing spam. 

If you got a PM or an email from the forum with the contents of a PM telling you to email "Regis" at "fredomwayxx@outlook...." it's SPAM from user bally00life, who is now banned.

A snippet of the raw database showing what he's done is attached:

Note, the forum database was not compromised. He's abusing the functionality of the forum software that sends email notifications.

--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
. . . and the one post for that account is now in Post Hell.   :police:

Scott

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I’m sure we’re going to see a lot of “totally coincidental” nuttery around here for a few days....

Kent

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2021, 08:58:35 pm
He sent me a private message. Very directed. Obviously it's a phishing email. I didn't click it and deleted the message.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
I'd take this up with SMF. That's some sloppy code if an exploit like that can be used. I haven't used SMF in about 5 or 6 years, but I'll bet you anything there is a MOD you could install in the admin panel that could prevent new users from being able to send private messages (with E-mail notification) until "x" number of posts. Otherwise, I can probably make you one. Most of the MODS I have done are found in the PhPBB forum database, but SMF ain't much different. That's some pretty simple PhP code to write up and make happen. Perhaps it's in there already and you just need to change a setting.

EDIT: Another thing you can do is just put a disclaimer on the E-mail notifications that get sent out that simply say something like "ARCADE CONTROL WILL NEVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSWORD AND YADDA YADDA AND SUCH AND SUCH". Pretty sure you get what I'm saying. That option should already be there I believe.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:50:20 am by Phreakwars »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Good job Saint, Burn all scammers at the steak!
Low life mutha ---smurfs---!

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:46:09 am
Simple but obvious abuse of the system. Sometimes scammers can be more direct, simply creating an account then spamming everyone via PM. This guy just took it one step further.

Many forums have already woken up to this and prevent users from sending PMs until they've made 10 posts or whatever.

I'd strongly suggest that this option be enabled.

I don't know if the forum has the ability to moderate the first x posts as well, but I'd suggest doing that too. If anything, it will keep the moderators on their toes. :P

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
OK I'm leaving this up because it was a clever but annoying non-hack by a new and now banned forum member and people will want to know what he did and how.

When someone sends you a PM here on the forum, the forum will send you an email with the contents of the PM. It comes from the arcadecontrols.com server, sent to the email you have on file here on the server. The person who sent you the PM doesn't have your email info.

What this guy did was immediately after sending the PM, and then waiting for a moment, he deletes the PM. You log on to the forum, no PM. However, you did get an email to your private email address with the contents of the message he sent you.

He sent the same PM to 6 additional people, all telling them to email a specific email address to get an arcade part they mentioned they were looking for here on the forum.

If you got a PM or an email from the forum with the contents of a PM telling you to email "Regis" at "fredomwayxx@outlook...." it's SPAM from user bally00life, who is now banned.

Note, the forum database was not compromised. He's abusing the functionality of the forum software that sends email notifications.

One thing that was different from a normal PM notification, the email I received was from email “saint@arcadecontrols.com”, where as a PM notification has the sender name “ The NEW Build Your Own Arcade Controls”

How was he able to change that?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
I don't know if the forum has the ability to moderate the first x posts as well, but I'd suggest doing that too. If anything, it will keep the moderators on their toes. :P
We've been doing that for over 6 1/2 years.   ;)

Before that, spam was a common sight around here.

Now, almost all spam accounts (~99.9%) are identified and eliminated before forum members see anything from them.

Without going into the methods and procedures that we mods use to do that, I think we've found a good balance between minimizing friction for legitimate new forum members and eliminating spammers.   :cheers:

Scott

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:46:09 am
@PL1: no need to reveal your methods, the processes involved are most likely just an elementary application of logic. I thought you must have had some kind of control given the lack of spam, but because I joined a long time ago I never saw moderation.

@Rockstead: a real email has to come from a designated real email address. For some reason Saint nominated himself instead of having a dedicated account just for the forum. It's nothing unusual.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:13:45 pm by Robbbert »

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
Yeah that’s why I want to see a copy of the email in addition to the header you sent me - I’d like to track that down.  Will dig through server outgoing email logs as well.

One thing that was different from a normal PM notification, the email I received was from email “saint@arcadecontrols.com”, where as a PM notification has the sender name “ The NEW Build Your Own Arcade Controls”

How was he able to change that?
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
@saint

Funny enough I just just found the email you sent me requesting that, but for some reason your real email send got captured as spam and gmail automatically put it in my spam folder, go figure :)

Forward sent

Thanks again for looking in to it.

kyinwa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2022, 02:48:13 pm
Is this why I can't seem to use any features of the forums yet? Am i in limbo?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
Is this why I can't seem to use any features of the forums yet? Am i in limbo?
Sorry about the slow response.   :embarassed:

PM sent.

Scott