Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hantarex polo 25" won't degauss  (Read 3726 times)

retrocat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2023, 10:10:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hantarex polo 25" won't degauss
« on: April 20, 2021, 07:06:36 pm »
i have a 25" hantarex polo that won't degauss. the thermistor was definitely bad, i've replaced it from a spare parts chassis but it still won't degauss. i don't know what else to check past this point. i'm not sure if it matters but my tube was a tube swap, so not original. i spliced the degauss connector for the chassis onto the degauss wires, don't think there was anything else that needed to be done with that.
does anyone have any idea?

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:56:04 am
Re: Hantarex polo 25" won't degauss
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 12:52:48 am »
such a common issue that its likely your replacement is bad also, easy test - connect a mains lamp to the degauss out pins, it should light bright for a few seconds

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 06:44:58 am »
It's a bandaid fix, but if degaussing is an issue, you can put a PC CRT face to face with it while they are both on, and hit the degauss button on the PC monitor.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 02:51:55 am »
First time I've heard of that trick. Cool. Too bad I think I tossed all 10 of my PC CRTs years ago in favor of LCD panels. Did that, but manage to still have a total of 5 CRTs in cabinets and a couple more needing to be built lying around... and they're all bigger than the CRTs I tossed... except the 19" for the DK cabinet.
 :dunno

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 08:24:25 pm »
i have a 25" hantarex polo that won't degauss. the thermistor was definitely bad, i've replaced it from a spare parts chassis but it still won't degauss. i don't know what else to check past this point. i'm not sure if it matters but my tube was a tube swap, so not original. i spliced the degauss connector for the chassis onto the degauss wires, don't think there was anything else that needed to be done with that.
does anyone have any idea?

I noticed recently when replacing the HOT in my Polo 25" that the solder pads for my degauss connector were almost completely lifted from the pcb. I hadn't touched this chassis for any repairs in over ten years, and it was the very FIRST chassis I ever did a cap kit to, so it's likely my eyes weren't even trained enough to spot this back then.

I did take pics of the before and after of my attempt to strengthen this connection. Meant to snap a pic before I put the cage back together over that part, but I forgot, so there is a ton of flux in this pic that I cleaned up afterwards. I strengthened the 2 degauss pins by bending 2 old HOT legs around them and the component pins below, and soldering the heck out of the entire concoction. This REALLY seemed to stiffen this connection to hopefully provide not only a better electrical connection, but a stronger physical connection as well. Possibly one or both of your pads are lifted, causing connection issues?